Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Manoah2u wrote:
astracrazy wrote:I'm 99% sure they will not go back to the old white-orange design. It was related to Marlboro because they were the sponsor

1) its subliminal tobacco advertising i.e look at the barcode on the ferrari. So I highly doubt it would be allowed.
2) its free advertisement for marlboro essentially given them title sponsorship livery for free - and who would do that?
1)Lotus runs a john player special livery without being a JPS connection, and they get away with it no problemo.
The Ferrari has a prominent subliminal logo on the side of their car, it's essentially half the Marlboro logo. They run a Marlboro red-color instead of real ferrari red. The white patches on the wings are another factor in that.
2) It's not free sponsorship for Marlboro if there is a smart construction which has Marlboro sponsoring Mclaren indirectly without Mclaren being able to be tied to any accusation of running tobacco advertising. It's been stated in another topic.
[ Marlboro could demand Honda to demand Mclaren to run a white-red livery, and if they do they'll get money. Honda meanwhile 'occasionaly' funds Mclaren a certain amount of money [ which turns out to be the same Marlboro sends to Honda] It might not happen, but it is a possibility.
The JPS association was somewhat diluted when Lotus were told to get rid of the gold. They changed it to a sort of matte gold but works similar n tv.

I don't think Vodafone red can be said to be anywhere near orange. I think people are getting a bit mixed up between the historic orange or papaya orange of McLaren, and the red of Marlboro. McLaren also have rocket red which was traditionally the colour of the McLaren logo mostly on the car.
F1 is dead.

Manoah2u

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

Still some brand exposure, win for both sides without ever running any sponsors =D> :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Alexgtt

Should the above be in team thread? Can we keep this thread technical please? :wink:

GoranF1

Alexgtt wrote:Should the above be in team thread? Can we keep this thread technical please? :wink:
it is related to livery,so it is connected to this thread as well.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Manoah2u

the historic papaya orange is very different from the marlboro red and the vodafone red, obviously.

however, the vodafone red had a distinct orange hue in it. I've seen it in the flesh. It's not papaya orange,
but it's still an orange hue. Orange has several 'hues'.....from yellowish orange to reddish orange. it's still orange.

The orange mclaren used on their cars for display purposes on some car shows is a way different orange then the
original papaya orange, too.

The thing is, Mclaren is known for having orange in their 'repertoire'. Whether that is yellow hued or red hued, isn't
really the discussion here.

I've seen Marlboro Mclaren Red in the flesh a loooong time ago, couldn't remember whether that had some orange hue to it,
so i can't say if that one had it too but i wouldn't be surprised at all.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

GoranF1

Mclaren has asked fans on Twitter to suggest the livery,this was their answer.
We’ve had everything from pink to green to white! It seems #McLarenOrange is an old favourite though.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Redragon

If Vodafone is the main sponsor, if you use their symbol you are force to use the red as it is their trademark but if you use only typography you don't need to use the red and it can be on any colour, orange a possibility as they did with grey and black on the past

adrianjordan

Redragon wrote:If Vodafone is the main sponsor, if you use their symbol you are force to use the red as it is their trademark but if you use only typography you don't need to use the red and it can be on any colour, orange a possibility as they did with grey and black on the past
But Vodafone isn't their sponsor any more and hasn't been since 2013...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

we were discussing the past regarding colours.

here's a good example how TV and light tricks the eyes in making orange look red

same colour. It's orange. not red. but it looks red on telly.

McG

Both look orange to my eyes, just different shades. But definitely looks different.

In other news Mobile network Orange are giving Vodafone a call via O2, mind you, to try to come to an agreement of who should be using orange.
F1 is dead.

CjC
CjC

Sorry if it's been posted and talked about before but I've just read this about mclarens (lack of) sponsorship

http://www.espn.co.uk/mclaren/motorspor ... 88419.html

It's good that eric reckons mclaren don't need a sponsor but imagine when (if) they do secure a deal and where the extra cash could take them?
Just a fan's point of view

Trocola

CjC wrote:
It's good that eric reckons mclaren don't need a sponsor but imagine when (if) they do secure a deal and where the extra cash could take them?
That's what he says, but it hasn't need to be true. It would be stupid to say "yes, we need a title sponsor, we have no money". And I do not know any team that can say "no, we don't need any more sponsors, we have enough money".

If there is something true in F1 is that you never have enough money

Manoah2u

Obviously, they are sourcing money in a different kind of way than a direct 'main sponsor' that's slammed on the car.
Mclaren F1 team having a reasonable amount of 'cash savings' is pretty expectable. 3 Years without main sponsor?
After having lost 100's of millions to spygate a couple of years ago?
I know their 'commuter vehicle' :mrgreen: operations are doing well, but i have a feeling that's not how it goes down.
There'll be something else that's up. which kinda holds my interest tbh

Richard

Trocola wrote:
CjC wrote:
That's what he says, but it hasn't need to be true. It would be stupid to say "yes, we need a title sponsor, we have no money". And I do not know any team that can say "no, we don't need any more sponsors, we have enough money".

If there is something true in F1 is that you never have enough money
I always use that approach listening to politicians & PR. If the opposite isn't realistic then the statement has no validity.

For example:
  • "Our car is going to be faster next year" - What team would say they were designing a slower car?
  • "Vote for me and you'll be better off than now" - What politician is going to say they will make you poorer?
  • "Our washing powder will make your clothes cleaner" - What advert is going to say your clothes won't be as clean?
  • "Mclaren is not desperate for a sponsor" - Would Mclaren ever say "we're doomed?"
The one about teams saying their car will be faster next year pops up in nearly every team thread every year. Although red cars seem more susceptible than most.

Mesteño

Alonso en @movistar_F1 : "Me impresionó la fábrica de Honda en Japón. Lo tienen todo para el éxito, cuando vi aquello me ayudó a decidirme"

Alonso in Movistar TV: "I was impressed by Honda factory in Japan. They have everything for sucess. When I saw that it helped me decide"

Sakura factory must be quite impressive if FA who has been in some big teams is impressed.