Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

No chance to get in q3 in America. That long straight is just too long, and them lacking arround 20 kmh of top speed, they will definetly struggle. Not to mention what will hapen when DRS will be deployed on a race day, when the deficit could rise to more than 30 kmh. The engine will also lack in the hillclimb. Points are not very probable. Maybe if there will be incidents happening.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

turbof1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Or otherwise known as sarcasm. A dangerous tool on the internet.
#AeroFrodo

GoranF1

proteus wrote:No chance to get in q3 in America. That long straight is just too long, and them lacking arround 20 kmh of top speed, they will definetly struggle. Not to mention what will hapen when DRS will be deployed on a race day, when the deficit could rise to more than 30 kmh. The engine will also lack in the hillclimb. Points are not very probable. Maybe if there will be incidents happening.
Mclaren said Austin will suit car.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

trinidefender

turbof1 wrote:Or otherwise known as sarcasm. A dangerous tool on the internet.
Some studies have shown having a good understanding of sarcasm is a sign of a healthy brain

godlameroso

If there's lots of heavy breaking then they won't have as much problem deploying on the straights. It's not the ICE or MGU-K that's the problem it's the self sustaining power from the MGU-H, certain circuits rely on this more than others. For example, Monza has very long straights and few braking zones. Whereas, Singapore, or Hungary, has short straights and lots of braking events, so not a lot of room to harvest from the MGU-H.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1

drunkf1fan

GoranF1 wrote:
proteus wrote:No chance to get in q3 in America. That long straight is just too long, and them lacking arround 20 kmh of top speed, they will definetly struggle. Not to mention what will hapen when DRS will be deployed on a race day, when the deficit could rise to more than 30 kmh. The engine will also lack in the hillclimb. Points are not very probable. Maybe if there will be incidents happening.

They said Singapore will suit the car all year and got no where near Q3 there either and the car would suit Singapore to a far larger degree than Austin. Not entirely sure why Goran is saying the car is 'now' 2.1 seconds off the pace. Brundle also say it seemed a big step forward to only be half a second behind Kvyat who was in 11th, even though a Mclaren was half a second behind 10th in Singapore and Japan as well... not seeing a step when the gap has been the same the whole time myself.

I'd think they'll be lucky to get within half a second of 10th in Austin, if Renault have their new upgrade engines by then they may be significantly further than half a second off. I'd expect with all their tokens and the first real upgrades for Renault to gain more power than Honda could have with the new engine.

If the new engine was that good, frankly they'd be running it here anyway. In fact if the reliability is fixed as we keep being told, then why are they still taking new engines every other race? They took big penalties to get fresh new engines for the best track left of the year for them in Singapore... and got no where at all.

Everything they say is contradictory. Must have more testing but lets not use this new engine for this race and get more data sooner? As with Singapore, holding the engine back for Austin will prove to be pointless and they'll have simply lost another race of data on the newest engine for absolutely no reason at all. Likewise, experimental aero parts because this entire year is being treated as a test year, but Alonso doesn't push hard making comparison of new/old aero parts harder. If both cars were pushing then you get a better comparison of the parts.

Jef Patat

trinidefender wrote:
Some studies have shown having a good understanding of sarcasm is a sign of a healthy brain
Was that a compliment or just sarcasm :wink:

Silent Storm

Jef Patat wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Was that a compliment or just sarcasm :wink:
Sarcastic Compliment
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

GoranF1

drunkf1fan wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

They said Singapore will suit the car all year and got no where near Q3 there either and the car would suit Singapore to a far larger degree than Austin. Not entirely sure why Goran is saying the car is 'now' 2.1 seconds off the pace. Brundle also say it seemed a big step forward to only be half a second behind Kvyat who was in 11th, even though a Mclaren was half a second behind 10th in Singapore and Japan as well... not seeing a step when the gap has been the same the whole time myself.

I'd think they'll be lucky to get within half a second of 10th in Austin, if Renault have their new upgrade engines by then they may be significantly further than half a second off. I'd expect with all their tokens and the first real upgrades for Renault to gain more power than Honda could have with the new engine.

If the new engine was that good, frankly they'd be running it here anyway. In fact if the reliability is fixed as we keep being told, then why are they still taking new engines every other race? They took big penalties to get fresh new engines for the best track left of the year for them in Singapore... and got no where at all.

Everything they say is contradictory. Must have more testing but lets not use this new engine for this race and get more data sooner? As with Singapore, holding the engine back for Austin will prove to be pointless and they'll have simply lost another race of data on the newest engine for absolutely no reason at all. Likewise, experimental aero parts because this entire year is being treated as a test year, but Alonso doesn't push hard making comparison of new/old aero parts harder. If both cars were pushing then you get a better comparison of the parts.
You are pessimist.Mclaren will progress from race to race as they did all year long,people seem to forget all the time how late have both Honda and Peter Prodrumou started 2015 project.
Austin will be another good step as well.

Sayeman

Woo Hoo! Double points finish!
Never Give up.

damager21

While both the drivers said that this race will be tough, I thought that their race pace was not bad. In fact another 0.5 secs pace and they could have stayed ahead of Lotus and Toro Rosso.

I am now very much looking forward to Austin which should suit McLaren Honda package better than this race. Also, the Honda engine upgrade is believed to provide 0.5 sec per lap. Would be interesting to see if Alonso can make it into Q3 and score points purely on pace and not DNF for other drivers.

The only worry though is Renault which is expected to provide an upgraded engine to both Red Bull and Toro Rosso. We know that they still have 12 tokens, so there is a possibility of a big performance leap which will impact McLaren's chance of scoring more points at Austin.

Not to forget, I think Jenson did a brilliant job today driving hard and he was always there around point scoring position from lap 1.

F1NAC

ALO got 5 sec. penalty for track limits, no points for him

TLof

What a joke. There was not even footage shown when Alonso ignored track limits. He must've done it not so often. . . drivers ignoring track limits all season long but Alonso gets now a stupid penalty.

proteus

damager21 wrote:While both the drivers said that this race will be tough, I thought that their race pace was not bad. In fact another 0.5 secs pace and they could have stayed ahead of Lotus and Toro Rosso.

I am now very much looking forward to Austin which should suit McLaren Honda package better than this race. Also, the Honda engine upgrade is believed to provide 0.5 sec per lap. Would be interesting to see if Alonso can make it into Q3 and score points purely on pace and not DNF for other drivers.

The only worry though is Renault which is expected to provide an upgraded engine to both Red Bull and Toro Rosso. We know that they still have 12 tokens, so there is a possibility of a big performance leap which will impact McLaren's chance of scoring more points at Austin.

Not to forget, I think Jenson did a brilliant job today driving hard and he was always there around point scoring position from lap 1.
And why is Alonso the only one to be able to get into the Q3? Button was labeled as inferior at the start of the season, and jet, he is matching Alonso quite well. I say Button has same chance to get in, if the package will deliver.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows