Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Goran2812 wrote:How does that thing even look? The seal... Any pics of it and what the problem is?

:lol:

Richard
Richard

Goran2812 wrote:How does that thing even look? The seal... Any pics of it and what the problem is?
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21625

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Alexgtt wrote:
crbassassin wrote:Seems like Honda is not up to the job in providing the power unit.
Totally unfounded and not useful to the thread. One quick look at the McLaren rear bodywork tells you quite something about what Honda can provide. Stunning packaging when you consider it doesn't self ignite at the end of every lap. Fixing the odd seal and reliability problem is exactly what testing is all about at this stage. Sure, it could have been better but please look objectively at the facts before posting such tosh. :wink:
Their problems are more than about fixing the odd seal. They have significant issues with their ERS system. Hence why they're using parts of an old Mclaren MGU-K apparently. Tight bodywork is certainly de rigeur on this website but in the real world nothing beats a PU that actually runs properly.

This stage of testing should not be about reliability, it's about finalising the package for Australia. Mclaren have done so few laps, they haven't even begun to scratch the surface with regards to this packages reliability. They've not managed more than 7 or so laps in a run. For all we know, after twenty laps that lovely rear bodywork that you like so much could be engulfed in flames.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:I have a question that is only partly car related;will Alonso be allowed to set his gear ratios in AUS free practices since he can?t do it in the last test?
The team will decide on the gear ratios for the season. Not alonso.

PhillipM
PhillipM

bonjon1979 wrote: Their problems are more than about fixing the odd seal. They have significant issues with their ERS system. Hence why they're using parts of an old Mclaren MGU-K apparently.
According to mclaren it's just the seal they've changed drawing on their experience of sealing the old kers units, I'll take their word over the bad google translate versions in the press...

max_speed
max_speed

end of day for mclaren , hydraulic leak . i guess it would be better for them to participate them in championship midway onwards. they will get enough time to fix all problems. what a mess ?. i did not expect them to fair this badly . they had one year worth info from mclaren and still could not manage to build a reliable one.

tinvek
tinvek

finished for today, another engine change

i'm currently very disappointed by Honda, they had last season to watch and learn from other's mistakes, especially over the importance of pre season reliability. surely it wasn't beyond them to install a PU in an HPD chassis and subject it to some decent distance with aero / G loads going through it

JoeE
JoeE

Yet again, and am dead sick of seeing #TestingIsTesting on the end of things by them, you've hardy done any testing ffs

damager21
damager21

I wonder if Kevin is really required to participate this weekend in place of Alonso. Button put in only 7 laps today, he needs to be spending more time in the car than Kevin. After all its been a nice extended vacation for Button & Alonso thanks to Honda.

What is more worrying is the fact that Honda needs to homologate their engine by tomorrow / Monday. They are in deep heap of s**t. Every weekend there has been a new problem. MGUK seal, fuel pump, hydraulic leak... they seem to keep on coming.

radosav
radosav

Another video of post accident situation, if moderators think that this is no place for this video please remove it! I didn't know where to post it!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtygdQRa ... ata_player[/youtube]

the EDGE
the EDGE

radosav wrote:Another video of post accident situation, if moderators think that this is no place for this video please remove it! I didn't know where to post it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtygdQRa ... ata_player
I guess the Alonso crash thread might have been a good alternative, however thanks for posting. 1 thing the video shows is just how windy it was at the time of the incident, and that's constant, I guess gusts could have been 2 or 3 times faster

Mesteño

The guy recording says: "something just happened to him, because they were calling his attention and was not answering"

lillschumi
lillschumi

lillschumi wrote:I think it´s funny that that Mclaren draw references of the past with their collaboration with Honda as some kind of assurance of future success. Sort of neglecting the rather gloomy days of mid 2000 for Honda. What say they have picked-up the game since then?

Renault & Ferrari struggled with the new PU even though they had fresh F1 knowledge, by that i think Honda could have more of an issue getting terms with the problems.
Quoting myself. Reality is sinking in, is there a plan B?

Mesteño

Probably (surely) not the case, but seems like nothing had been done since Jerez.

horse

Sky Sports F1 wrote:Kevin Magnussen has been called up to replace Alonso at this week’s test but while Dennis has indicated that he expects the Spaniard to be passed fit for the season-opening Australian GP, the final decision will rest with doctors.
I'm sure the decision to hold onto Button will be looking better than ever if Alonso is not allowed to race in Australia.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu