Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
raymondu999

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

So I've seen conflicting reports. Is the 666 designed by James Allison, or not? From what I've read, it could be one of 3 things:

1) Originally a Tombazis design, then scrapped late-on and taken on by James Allison.
2) A James Allison design from the start
3) A Tombazis design; James Allison will simply develop it - the 667 will be his first full-time Ferrari car

In other news - I hope Marchionne's sword doesn't axe more people. Fear of firings can be a very dangerous company culture, one that will breed insecurity rather than performance.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

spadeflush

Ferrari is behind schedule on the 2015 car design
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... CMP=chrome
raymondu999 wrote:So I've seen conflicting reports. Is the 666 designed by James Allison, or not? From what I've read, it could be one of 3 things:

1) Originally a Tombazis design, then scrapped late-on and taken on by James Allison.
3) A Tombazis design; James Allison will simply develop it - the 667 will be his first full-time Ferrari car

In other news - I hope Marchionne's sword doesn't axe more people. Fear of firings can be a very dangerous company culture, one that will breed insecurity rather than performance.
I think this could very well be the reason.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

WaikeCU

It's an absolute mess over there. Organization wise they had so much restructuring to do. Change is sometimes a sign of improvement, but not when that much drastic changes in personnel had to be made. Constant changes in personnel will hamper the long term vision of a company and that's what's happening right now. At first the objective was to win the championship with Alonso, but that didn't work, because each season they have managed to produce a dog of a car. Then LDM stepped down, Domenicali stepped down, Mattiaci replaced him and stepped down. Fry and Tombazis were working on the new car, then they had to step down. Incredible...

f1universe

I have the feeling that is not as bad as they want us to believe.

raymondu999

Maybe they're managing tifosi expectations. When they exceed said low benchmark - the tifosi will hail Arrivabene and Vettel as the 2nd coming. (of Todt-Schumacher)

Maybe. I don't know.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vasconia

raymondu999 wrote:So I've seen conflicting reports. Is the 666 designed by James Allison, or not? From what I've read, it could be one of 3 things:

As far as I know its the first one because they were no happy with Tombazy´s design because it followed the path of the failed 2014 car. So thats the reason because the new car´s design is delayed, which I must say that its far from begin a surprise. Its part of Ferrari´s traditional culture. :roll:

windwaves

but what was JA doing then ? he has been around for a while now....I do not like it. Confusion in the organization set up by Domenicali with the results we are all way too familiar with.

Hopefully the changes so far have produced clarity, especially, clarity of responsibilities, hence accountability.

f1universe

windwaves wrote:but what was JA doing then ? he has been around for a while now....I do not like it. Confusion in the organization set up by Domenicali with the results we are all way too familiar with.

Hopefully the changes so far have produced clarity, especially, clarity of responsibilities, hence accountability.
He joined in September 2013, the 2015 car should be all his.

Raleigh

f1universe wrote:He joined in September 2013, the 2015 car should be all his.
You'd think so, right?

But Allison (technical director), Tombazis (Chief Designer) and Fry (Engineering Director) were all at the same level within Ferrari and sharing design of the 2015 car...

And since Tombazis and Fry only left mid-December you can't exactly say this is Allison's car. The 2016 car, that will be his, but not this one.
Last edited by Raleigh on 18 Jan 2015, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

The spin about deflating expectations is unusual for this team. They usually suffer more than most from the "next year's car is already faster in the simulator" winter hype.

raymondu999

Technically Richard - 2 or 3 wins is still better than what they got this year. But yeah I do agree. Maybe something to do with Marchionne and Arrivabene's new regime.

I also find it strange how the old jobs were distributed. At the very least - wasn't putting James Allison in overall charge of vehicle design done under Mattiaci? I seem to remember Fry was demoted to a sort of "Chief Track Engineer" a la Smedley at Williams type role.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1universe

Raleigh wrote:
f1universe wrote:He joined in September 2013, the 2015 car should be all his.
You'd think so, right?

But Allison (technical director), Tombazis (Chief Designer) and Fry (Engineering Director) were all at the same level within Ferrari and sharing design of the 2015 car...

And since Tombazis and Fry only left mid-December you can't exactly say this is Allison's car. The 2016 car, that will be his, but not this one.
I don't know, as far as I know Fry was more or less sidelined (to another job) when Allison was hired, and Tombazis was there with no sings of being fired. This cars is Allison's car, at least the technical direction. I can see how Ferrari will like to put all the blame on Tombazis and Fry if the car is bad anyway.

Kiril Varbanov

According to Leo Turini, Rory Byrne is already having some sort of involvement with the 2015 car project, whose aim is to get into Q3 in AUS, and fighting for podiums. I have no idea how credible this info is. Historically, he has been very wrong few times. Let's see.

f1universe

Kiril Varbanov wrote:According to Leo Turini, Rory Byrne is already having some sort of involvement with the 2015 car project,
They said the same about the 2012 and 2014 car, not a guarantee of anything to be honest, despite his past success.

Richard

Ah yes, the Rory Byrne rumour is the Ferrari winter special alongside "the new design is faster in the simulator.

IMHO He's used as a reviewer or sounding board like other guru engineers I've come across on my projects. Someone to add a dose of realism, inspiration for the designers, and a second pair of eyes to reassure the managers.