Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

evered7 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:According to Omnicorse and AS, Iñaki Rueda, Lotus strategist, will start at Ferrari in Malaysia as Head of Race Strategy.
Is it the dude that left Kimi out on worn tires leading him to fall down the ladder massively in India (I think) in 2013?
That was Alan Permane. Grosjean didn't fall down the ladder that day, funny eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZARtyrMU6E

evered7

Juzh wrote:
evered7 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:According to Omnicorse and AS, Iñaki Rueda, Lotus strategist, will start at Ferrari in Malaysia as Head of Race Strategy.
Is it the dude that left Kimi out on worn tires leading him to fall down the ladder massively in India (I think) in 2013?
Because he pitted 6 laps later than Kimi? This was not the first instance of such a 'drop off a cliff' happening that season as well.

Juzh

evered7 wrote: Because he pitted 6 laps later than Kimi?
He was able to do that with better tyre management?

iotar__

evered7 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
evered7 wrote:Is it the dude that left Kimi out on worn tires leading him to fall down the ladder massively in India (I think) in 2013?
Because he pitted 6 laps later than Kimi? This was not the first instance of such a 'drop off a cliff' happening that season as well.
What happened 6 laps later then or did they drive different number of laps? Just like China 2012 falling off the cliff happened to a driver not a strategist. Look at the bright side, maybe he was responsible for 2012 Hungary and plenty of other similar races.

I'm not even sure head of strategy is "leaving drivers on track", isn't it the person crunching numbers and giving optimal options to choose from?

evered7

iotar__ wrote:
evered7 wrote:
evered7 wrote:Is it the dude that left Kimi out on worn tires leading him to fall down the ladder massively in India (I think) in 2013?
What happened 6 laps later then or did they drive different number of laps? Just like China 2012 falling off the cliff happened to a driver not a strategist. Look at the bright side, maybe he was responsible for 2012 Hungary and plenty of other similar races.

I'm not even sure head of strategy is "leaving drivers on track", isn't it the person crunching numbers and giving optimal options to choose from?
The only two drivers to attempt a two stop strategy were the Lotus drivers. Others went for three or worse four pitstops. Kimi drove 51 laps on those tires. No matter how good you are able to nurse a tire, there will be an end point for it.

The fact is that Kimi pitted 6 laps earlier than Grosjean to take the medium tires and considering that he was only again pitted before the final couple of laps, I take it that if he was asked to do lesser number of laps in the medium, he would have been better off.

I wasn't sure if the person in question was the one deciding these, hence the question. Didn't accuse him of doing it outright.

evered7

Juzh wrote:
evered7 wrote: Because he pitted 6 laps later than Kimi?
He was able to do that with better tyre management?
Even if we consider that Grosjean was able to manage his tires better, doesn't it show that the strategist couldn't come up with a good one for Kimi considering his deficiency?

Why go with the one plan suits all idea? They could see that Kimi was struggling with the tires for the final few laps and knew that they had made less stops than others yet they let Kimi out until he destroyed the tires and fell down the grid.

iotar__

evered7 wrote:The only two drivers to attempt a two stop strategy were the Lotus drivers. Others went for three or worse four pitstops. Kimi drove 51 laps on those tires. No matter how good you are able to nurse a tire, there will be an end point for it.

The fact is that Kimi pitted 6 laps earlier than Grosjean to take the medium tires and considering that he was only again pitted before the final couple of laps, I take it that if he was asked to do lesser number of laps in the medium, he would have been better off.

I wasn't sure if the person in question was the one deciding these, hence the question. Didn't accuse him of doing it outright.
This is going in circles with 2 wrong assumptions: 1. that a driver is not to blame for anything, never, ever and 2. 6 laps decided something. So one more time to end this off topic: strategy was not wrong, other driver managed that. 6 laps are not important, 1. stints are connected (example: later stop = lost time on softs = more pace required from mediums = bigger deg), 2. you can find exactly the same distance after the pitstop (adjusted) and you will find that one driver had pace and the other did not. (I'm guessing but I'm not checking if they had the same tyres :-) ).

Now, even if it was a bad strategy, even if said person was responsible that's not how you judge someone's qualifications - based on one race. I also stand by my uninformed assumption that head of strategy is the one crunching numbers, preparing scenarios based on FP times, track conditions etc. and not calling pitstops directly. Safe bet it was Allison's decision to hire him, also a bit sad that draining of Lotus by Ferrari continues.

evered7

iotar__ wrote: This is going in circles with 2 wrong assumptions: 1. that a driver is not to blame for anything, never, ever and 2. 6 laps decided something. So one more time to end this off topic: strategy was not wrong, other driver managed that. 6 laps are not important, 1. stints are connected (example: later stop = lost time on softs = more pace required from mediums = bigger deg), 2. you can find exactly the same distance after the pitstop (adjusted) and you will find that one driver had pace and the other did not. (I'm guessing but I'm not checking if they had the same tyres :-) ).

Now, even if it was a bad strategy, even if said person was responsible that's not how you judge someone's qualifications - based on one race. I also stand by my uninformed assumption that head of strategy is the one crunching numbers, preparing scenarios based on FP times, track conditions etc. and not calling pitstops directly. Safe bet it was Allison's decision to hire him, also a bit sad that draining of Lotus by Ferrari continues.
I never said the driver isn't to blame. You mentioned that it has happened to the same driver before and hence I questioned why wasn't it corrected in the next instance. The tires that year were prone to falling off the cliff and the extra laps meant that Kimi was susceptible to it. Since they eventually did do another stop, the better choice would have been to have stopped him once he started losing out to his team mate instead of waiting till the end. I understand that the stints are connected but the intention would surely be to finish the race in minimum possible time and not minimum # of pitstops.

Finally I am not judging him on that race but sometimes a brilliant strategy or a worse one generally lives in mind more than the usual ones. I remember him losing out in 2009 (I think) when he went on wet tires too soon and destroyed it before the rains came.

As long as it benefits Ferrari, I am all for it. My query was not to belittle the guy but to understand if he was the one who was in charge during that period. It might have not worked for him that day but it was a good strategy had it worked since Grosjean was able to come 3rd from 17th. I only wish they had covered Kimi a little more.

bhall II

Italiano

What a return to form, absolutely stunning. I really did not expect that. =D>
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Silent Storm

This guy is the real hero.. From 4th best car to now challenging Mercedes for wins. Big improvement from Ferrari.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

mf2929

free time well spent
"as long as I know that I'm giving 100% and I'm happy with my driving then I'm happy. If those aspects are true and it's not enough, then it's not enough."

Kiril Varbanov

LdM is happy, especially for those who have started the SF15T project in February last year and for those who perfected it - http://www.corrieredellosport.it/formul ... rari%C2%BB

Jonnycraig

Looking like a smart move already.

Vasconia

Jonnycraig wrote:
Looking like a smart move already.
Absolutely, he is very good at doing his job. Plus Allyson is the big hero here, what a great job he has done.