Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
abw

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

After Malaysia, especially hearing what Allison said about the tires before the race, my hope is that he's managed to build a car with similarly good mechanical grip and "tire sympathy" to what the 2012 Lotus had.... and that this translates into strong showing at any race where sneaky tire strategies can play a role. That's what I hope at least. But if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.

turbof1

abw wrote:After Malaysia, especially hearing what Allison said about the tires before the race, my hope is that he's managed to build a car with similarly good mechanical grip and "tire sympathy" to what the 2012 Lotus had.... and that this translates into strong showing at any race where sneaky tire strategies can play a role. That's what I hope at least. But if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
Back in 2012/2013, the Lotus was able to operate in a very wide window. When the tyre structure got changed midseason in 2013, every was thinking it would certainly hurt Lotus due the advantage of tyre managing falling away. It did not, just showing how adaptable the car is.

He certainly built that aspect in the Ferrari. Mercedes still has the best pace, but Ferrari will perform better when conditions are extreme or are rapidly changing. Rain, extreme cold or extreme hot temperatures, quickly dropping or quickly rising temperatures,... . Ferrari will need to have something out of the ordinary to compete with Mercedes, but a race can quickly get out of the ordinary.
#AeroFrodo

giantfan10

turbof1 wrote:
abw wrote:After Malaysia, especially hearing what Allison said about the tires before the race, my hope is that he's managed to build a car with similarly good mechanical grip and "tire sympathy" to what the 2012 Lotus had.... and that this translates into strong showing at any race where sneaky tire strategies can play a role. That's what I hope at least. But if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
Back in 2012/2013, the Lotus was able to operate in a very wide window. When the tyre structure got changed midseason in 2013, every was thinking it would certainly hurt Lotus due the advantage of tyre managing falling away. It did not, just showing how adaptable the car is.

He certainly built that aspect in the Ferrari. Mercedes still has the best pace, but Ferrari will perform better when conditions are extreme or are rapidly changing. Rain, extreme cold or extreme hot temperatures, quickly dropping or quickly rising temperatures,... . Ferrari will need to have something out of the ordinary to compete with Mercedes, but a race can quickly get out of the ordinary.
maybe just maybe mercedes never really solved their tire chewing problems of 2013...their massive pace advantage last year may have masked that.....Australia is a one of street circuit that everyone discounts as a good benchmark track to use to establish the pecking order and everyone doing a one stopper really left no room for any challenging team to try different strategies....i think mercedes will win china with ferrari being a lot closer than in australia my guess is that vettel will split the mercedes.
how much better are ferrari on the tires than mercedes in cooler temperatures? no way to tell in australia
will mercedes now try to push the envelope with upgrades and strategy?
is China here yet ? : )

iotar__

Maybe they did but Lotus connection is not straightforward. I'm guessing there was a bit more behind that, accumulation of designs and experience. Now: no FRIC, different engine, tyres and everything else, Allison is a technical manager but with aero expertise not suspension. It is interesting though why they were superior in that regard in China.

Of course he had nothing to do with the engine or change of rules of in-season engine development. Also AFAIR (correct me etc.) inventive cooling praised recently originated before his arrival, maybe it changed. It may explain Merc difference, slightly more conservative on engine side in the race? Whatever happened to front pull rod controversies, he certainly did not bring that with him :) .

Harsha

iotar__ wrote:
Maybe they did but Lotus connection is not straightforward. I'm guessing there was a bit more behind that, accumulation of designs and experience. Now: no FRIC, different engine, tyres and everything else, Allison is a technical manager but with aero expertise not suspension. It is interesting though why they were superior in that regard in China.

Of course he had nothing to do with the engine or change of rules of in-season engine development. Also AFAIR (correct me etc.) inventive cooling praised recently originated before his arrival, maybe it changed. It may explain Merc difference, slightly more conservative on engine side in the race? Whatever happened to front pull rod controversies, he certainly did not bring that with him :) .
Are you sure if so please post the results ;)

giantfan10

Harsha wrote:
iotar__ wrote:

Are you sure if so please post the results ;)
LMAO is anything on any car better than anything on a mercedes harsha? sheesh

Kiril Varbanov

James Allison talks future programs, design culture and taking pressure off - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118384

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:

I dont think that Ferrari con compete with Mercedes under the rain and when the track is cold but changing conditions and hot can help them, speciallly now that they seem capable of taking the correct strategies(finally!!).

SectorOne

Motorsport.com has an article on Arrivabene saying team orders is a thing of the past.
Bodes well for both drivers and us the fans of the sport.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MarkedOne8

SectorOne wrote:Motorsport.com has an article on Arrivabene saying team orders is a thing of the past.
Bodes well for both drivers and us the fans of the sport.
Here is the article: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/arriv ... at-ferrari

I have also put some tweets here.
https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle/status/ ... 3696128000 https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle/status/ ... 7467104256 https://twitter.com/LorenzoDL83/status/ ... 4177455104 https://twitter.com/LorenzoDL83/status/ ... 6492180480
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

MarkedOne8

New info, according to Twitter accounts in my previous posts, is that negotiations should start in the upcoming weeks, but no later than the middle of the current season.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

F1NAC

Amus is reporting that Kimi and Seb could use 2nd ICE, cause the team found some cracks in engine block

giantfan10

F1NAC wrote:Amus is reporting that Kimi and Seb could use 2nd ICE, cause the team found some cracks in engine block
wonder if they will bring forward their engine updates planned for barcelona? they would have to i'm assuming since upgrade parts can only go on new engines...or maybe they just wait till the next engine change scheduled.
or hey just use a brand new upgraded engine block and call it a reliability change : )

MarkedOne8

F1NAC wrote:Amus is reporting that Kimi and Seb could use 2nd ICE, cause the team found some cracks in engine block
I don't believe the cause are cracks because the second ICE for Bahrain was confirmed shortly after China GP. I think it's just scheduled switch because they want to have fresh engine for this track.

Moose

MarkedOne8 wrote:
I don't believe the cause are cracks because the second ICE for Bahrain was confirmed shortly after China GP. I think it's just scheduled switch because they want to have fresh engine for this track.
I don't think it was part of the original schedule. They wanted to get their second revision of the 2015 engine ready for Barcelona. That would imply that they wanted to only use up one engine before getting there so that they didn't have two original spec engines. Now the new engine has been pushed back to Canada, either because they needed to take a second engine now, or causing them to take a second engine now.