Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
charlex

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

that news was not true has been repeat a hundred times, no cracks.. just a replacement

evered7
evered7

Frankly Ferrari have enough in hand with regards to power for another 4-5 races. They need to tie down some gains from Aero dept and challenge Mercedes in the twisty parts of the circuit. That coupled with better tire wear itself will help them keep Mercedes in sights for a while.

Moose
Moose

evered7 wrote:Frankly Ferrari have enough in hand with regards to power for another 4-5 races. They need to tie down some gains from Aero dept and challenge Mercedes in the twisty parts of the circuit. That coupled with better tire wear itself will help them keep Mercedes in sights for a while.
That's making an assumption that Merc don't improve their PU. We're 4 races in, that means that next race, or the one after Merc are going to be turning up with new PUs - potentially ones with more tokens spent on them.

evered7
evered7

Moose wrote:
evered7 wrote:Frankly Ferrari have enough in hand with regards to power for another 4-5 races. They need to tie down some gains from Aero dept and challenge Mercedes in the twisty parts of the circuit. That coupled with better tire wear itself will help them keep Mercedes in sights for a while.
That's making an assumption that Merc don't improve their PU. We're 4 races in, that means that next race, or the one after Merc are going to be turning up with new PUs - potentially ones with more tokens spent on them.
How much more can one wring out this set of PU? Each upgrade maybe giving a 20-30HP more? And each 10BHP contributing to a tenth of the time (Not clear here, help me out if I am wrong).

Ferrari have a big advantage over the third placed team both in qualifying and races (more in races maybe). Because of it I believe they can afford to delay the upgrades to the engine side while concentrating on getting more from the chassis.

Bahrain was one of the circuits where they have performed poor in recent years and this turn of events in qualifying shows how much Ferrari have improved. Williams might only be tenth behind but their race pace is not in the league of the Ferraris.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

munudeges
munudeges

turbof1 wrote:
abw wrote:After Malaysia, especially hearing what Allison said about the tires before the race, my hope is that he's managed to build a car with similarly good mechanical grip and "tire sympathy" to what the 2012 Lotus had.... and that this translates into strong showing at any race where sneaky tire strategies can play a role. That's what I hope at least. But if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
Back in 2012/2013, the Lotus was able to operate in a very wide window. When the tyre structure got changed midseason in 2013, every was thinking it would certainly hurt Lotus due the advantage of tyre managing falling away. It did not, just showing how adaptable the car is.
Nonsense. The Lotus had a very narrow window where all its performance came from, which tended to be in much hotter temperatures. The car simply didn't have enough downforce, and that was strikingly evident when it ran in wet conditions.

The problem in the case of Raikkonen is that he doesn't need a tyre compliant car. It's all built into the driving style.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Moose wrote:
How much more can one wring out this set of PU? Each upgrade maybe giving a 20-30HP more? And each 10BHP contributing to a tenth of the time (Not clear here, help me out if I am wrong).

Ferrari have a big advantage over the third placed team both in qualifying and races (more in races maybe). Because of it I believe they can afford to delay the upgrades to the engine side while concentrating on getting more from the chassis[/quote]

I thought that half of the problem with Ferrari has been the fact that Engine and Chassis were completely separate and there was actually conflict between them, so surely the team doesn't have to concentrate more on the chassis - both are working flat out on their own side?

evered7
evered7

ChrisF1 wrote: I thought that half of the problem with Ferrari has been the fact that Engine and Chassis were completely separate and there was actually conflict between them, so surely the team doesn't have to concentrate more on the chassis - both are working flat out on their own side?
I was mentioning it more as a need to bring updates to the chassis side than the engine for now (as they confirmed an engine upgrade for only Canada and not Spain as previously suspected) since they have an advantage with the PU over the third fastest team. They might be working separately, they might not. I am not privy to that info.

FoxHound

Arrivabene has endeared himself to me in a fair few ways, not least when lighting up a cigarette half way through an interview. But I came across this story of him having a direct intervention in the design process for this year.
This guy keeps going up in my estimation....

I remember it was the 10th or 12th of December and I was asking Simone Resta, and Rory [Byrne], we were watching a picture of the car and I said what can you do to transfer the weight of the car a bit more in front? Because I said Kimi likes to feel the car in this way and Sebastian is more or less the same. They said we need six months. I said what can you do in three? They said we have to work day and night. I said OK, I’ll work together with you guys, come on.
http://en.f1i.com/news/10176-arrivabene ... nges.html?
JET set

CBeck113
CBeck113

I think most people underestimated the amout of technical knowledge is necessary for a manager. He's not there to design anything but the team itself, and to give them a direction and goals. In that aspect he has been brilliant. He's been around the circus and knows what the fans want, and he's executing in that direction (his trip up in the bleachers with the spectators in Barcelon was simply fantastic in my opinion - this is very necessary for F1). Also the statement Foxhound mentioned - it isn't "make it happen" like in most companies, but "let's get started": leadership, not just dictatorship. That may not float in most teams due to the investment costs, but it works best...so long the manager can trust his directors.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

turbof1

CBeck113 wrote:I think most people underestimated the amout of technical knowledge is necessary for a manager. He's not there to design anything but the team itself, and to give them a direction and goals. In that aspect he has been brilliant. He's been around the circus and knows what the fans want, and he's executing in that direction (his trip up in the bleachers with the spectators in Barcelon was simply fantastic in my opinion - this is very necessary for F1). Also the statement Foxhound mentioned - it isn't "make it happen" like in most companies, but "let's get started": leadership, not just dictatorship. That may not float in most teams due to the investment costs, but it works best...so long the manager can trust his directors.
Agreed. He doesn't need to have the knowledge capable of designing it himself, but certainly enough to be able to set realistic targets, or to ask for for realistic efforts to improve an element of the car, like weight distribution. He effectively guided the development process of the car.

I also can get out of the article he isn't car-performance oriented, but driver-performance oriented, which is certainly the way to go. We've seen it so many times in the past: a car that looks great on paper, only to be abysmal to drive. He certainly looks to be there to prevent that mistake from happening again. It helps of course to have 2 drivers with similar preferences, but still that's a nice change of work-ethics.

Great guy.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

FoxHound wrote:Arrivabene has endeared himself to me in a fair few ways, not least when lighting up a cigarette half way through an interview. But I came across this story of him having a direct intervention in the design process for this year.
This guy keeps going up in my estimation....

I remember it was the 10th or 12th of December and I was asking Simone Resta, and Rory [Byrne], we were watching a picture of the car and I said what can you do to transfer the weight of the car a bit more in front? Because I said Kimi likes to feel the car in this way and Sebastian is more or less the same. They said we need six months. I said what can you do in three? They said we have to work day and night. I said OK, I’ll work together with you guys, come on.
http://en.f1i.com/news/10176-arrivabene ... nges.html?
Thats what I define as "true leadership". Excellent. =D>

evered7
evered7

Read this story in F1F's round up but a lot of things about it puzzle me. Ferrari knew they had a dud after the first race of 2014. I can't believe it took Arrivabene's arrival at December for them to make a car to suit Kimi. A lot of the current changes must be attributed to the men who were sacked. This is their car IMO.

Anything more to come out of Ferrari will be down to Arrivabene and his team. Only person exempt will be Allison since he was already there in the team and continues to be.

He is giving credit to the people back in the factory but this 3 months story is too good to be true. And if it is indeed true, I would like to know what Ferrari were upto in the remaining months of the year.

windwaves
windwaves

evered7 wrote:Read this story in F1F's round up but a lot of things about it puzzle me. Ferrari knew they had a dud after the first race of 2014. I can't believe it took Arrivabene's arrival at December for them to make a car to suit Kimi. A lot of the current changes must be attributed to the men who were sacked. This is their car IMO.

Anything more to come out of Ferrari will be down to Arrivabene and his team. Only person exempt will be Allison since he was already there in the team and continues to be.

He is giving credit to the people back in the factory but this 3 months story is too good to be true. And if it is indeed true, I would like to know what Ferrari were upto in the remaining months of the year.
I think you are right, hard to imagine the current car roots do not belong to early 2014 ....

ferkan
ferkan

It can also be atrubited to the fact that Allison is appearently only high level employee that was entrusted with design of SF15T. I doubt anyone from the old managment/engineering (Fry, Tombazis, Marmorini etc.) had much say in design of the new car judging by their past eforts.

I think scenario that likely happened was that they knew 14T was a dud at beginning of the year, and the main people behind it were cut of from the new project. We know that by March, Binotto and Sassi where chief engineers that lead new PU project instead of Marmorini so it wouldnt surprise me that Tombazis and Fry had minimal influence in design of the car.

Keep it in mind that Ferrari is gigantic and has thousands of talented people working on the car but all the projects from past few years had to many chefs in the kitchen and entire way of working had to be streamlined. Mattiaci deserves big credit for that, he was a man that cut the old wood and brought alot of new one, but wasnt made for this job since begining.