Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
giantfan10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

in Austria he was out in Q1 because of the teams miscalculation and had to start 11th... everything after that in my opinion is as a result of his starting position for which the blame is all the pit wall who screwed up
in the british GP he was passed by vettel because the team brought him in waaay to early for inters on a track that was not wet enough, he then wore out those inters allowing Vettel to pass him after vettel switched to new inters
Vettel and hamilton were the only 2 to get it right as far as tire strategy as far as i recall

LionKing

No, your memory is betraying you. Vettel passed him when they were both on DRY weather tires.

Immediately after being passed, Kimi told on team radio that he is pitting this lap as in the youtube video.

GPR-A duplicate2

Ferrari ready to use engine tokens for Monza

So, the fourth PU of the year is set to appear in Monza. With that, the man is learning the lessons of modesty and realism. Good for him, should help him to steer the rest of the bunch in right direction. Hopefully.
"We are working, but in Monza there will not be a "super engine," he explained. "We could spend some tokens, but they will be very few.

"You know very well that the characteristics of Monza are similar to those of Spa," explained Arrivabene. "So they are less well suited to our car.

"This is not to say that we will throw in the towel and run away refusing to fight: we will go there trying to do our best. But we know we go there not being the team to beat.

"For that I'm sorry because it is the Italian Grand Prix, but I want to be realistic. I'm not going to delude the fans, so I prefer to say it like it is.

"If we could somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat I would be delighted, but we will not be the point of reference."
They better raise the performance of that car, otherwise, like we saw in Spa, Red Bull-Lotus-FI are in position to push them out of the points.

Juzh

GPR-A wrote: They better raise the performance of that car, otherwise, like we saw in Spa, Red Bull-Lotus-FI are in position to push them out of the points.
Except as we saw they weren't really. Not against Vettel anyway. 1 stop or 2 stop, either way he's 4th at the very least. Probably back in third. Being pushed out of the points on pure performance? Give me a break.

GPR-A duplicate2

Juzh wrote:
GPR-A wrote: They better raise the performance of that car, otherwise, like we saw in Spa, Red Bull-Lotus-FI are in position to push them out of the points.
Except as we saw they weren't really. Not against Vettel anyway. 1 stop or 2 stop, either way he's 4th at the very least. Probably back in third. Being pushed out of the points on pure performance? Give me a break.
Given !!!

Had Vettel chose to do a two stop, like Williams, FI and Lotus, he would have been probably scratching for last points. Grosjean finished 37 seconds adrift of the winner and had Vettel finished, he would have been either 37 or 38 seconds behind. If Ferrari had gone with the usual 2 stopper, probably he would have been 50 seconds behind (23 sec pit stop, but he would have chose to be faster in both stints, hence the overall deficit couldn't have been 37+23). That means, he would have been fighting with Kimi/Felipe/Sergio group for either 6th, 7th or 8th. You also need to understand that Ricciardo was out of the race who was ahead of him, which pushed Vettel up in Spa and Hulk was out of contention due to engine problem. Unless they miraculously find some performance, it is hard to imagine a Ferrari in the top 5 at Monza AND I am sure they won't attempt a one stop.

KeiKo403

I wouldn't put it past Ferrari to try a one stop. It looks like the issue in Belgium was due to a manufacturing issue. Someone pointed out a bulge in the sidewall of Vettel's tire in the race thread. If Ferrari want to blame Pirelli then they won't see any issue with a one-stop race. What are the chances of all of the tires that they end up with 1 that has another issue that just so happens to be fitted the car on race day?

Plus, I don't think Ferrari are huge fans of this rubber anyway so if they can show Pirelli to be rubish infront of the Tifosi they'll take that surely. That will be a massive push for Pirelli to start bringing F1 worthy tyres.

I mean I could understand putting on micky mouse tyres like these in junior formulae to weed out the drivers who can't adapt driving styles to making it up the motorsport ladder into F1/WEC/FE etc. But having these tyres in the pinicale of motorsport?....ridiculous!

Juzh

GPR-A wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Given !!!

Had Vettel chose to do a two stop, like Williams, FI and Lotus, he would have been probably scratching for last points. Grosjean finished 37 seconds adrift of the winner and had Vettel finished, he would have been either 37 or 38 seconds behind. If Ferrari had gone with the usual 2 stopper, probably he would have been 50 seconds behind (23 sec pit stop, but he would have chose to be faster in both stints, hence the overall deficit couldn't have been 37+23). That means, he would have been fighting with Kimi/Felipe/Sergio group for either 6th, 7th or 8th. You also need to understand that Ricciardo was out of the race who was ahead of him, which pushed Vettel up in Spa and Hulk was out of contention due to engine problem. Unless they miraculously find some performance, it is hard to imagine a Ferrari in the top 5 at Monza AND I am sure they won't attempt a one stop.
Wrong. ENTIRE pit stop time is indeed around 23s, but net loss is somewhere around 17-18s, because you cover start/finish straight in that time. Say Vettel would do a 2 stopper and pit on lap 30. At that time he was 4 seconds ahead of GRO and 20s ahead of VES in 8th, so he would come out ahead of him. On fresh option tires. Everyone around him is on 7 laps or more old mediums. He would have such a pace advantage on everyone up front they wouldn't stand a chance (KVY gained 2s+ when he switched to options). GRO would probably end up in 3rd either way as vettel would lose time in traffic. Kvyat is 6s behind VES at that point and no threat to vettel whatsoever. That puts vettel in 4th (maybe 5th if RIC continues, too many variables still at that point).

Also you just went from putting ferrari out of the points to putting them out of top five, which is a world of difference. Make up your mind.

giantfan10

LionKing wrote:No, your memory is betraying you. Vettel passed him when they were both on DRY weather tires.

Immediately after being passed, Kimi told on team radio that he is pitting this lap as in the youtube video.
i stand corrected then...doesnt really change my original point though...Kimi is not blameless for this seasons "issues" but there is plenty blaame that falls on the teams shoulders and plain old bad luck.

iotar__

Juzh wrote: Except as we saw they weren't really. Not against Vettel anyway. 1 stop or 2 stop, either way he's 4th at the very least. Probably back in third. Being pushed out of the points on pure performance? Give me a break.
The very least? Remove five places grid penalty for Grosjean all other things equal and he's beating Vettel on merit. Ferrari was lucky.
How did Lotus end up in comparison with Ferrari? They haven't had any big updates and not that many smaller ones because they can't afford it. Hell they can't even afford a spare gearbox and shouldn't be in the same universe. Ferrari was the second fastest car (the usual position) especially in light of weaker than usual Williams. Qualifying: smaller gaps and obvious reason. Race: on top of other factors I think relative lack of running in Q3 made it a bit of an unknown which sometimes is enough when gaps are smaller and track allows it.

Monza requires unique aero (Lotus can't afford it) and there's less to gain from tyres and top-speed vs downforce compromises. I expected Williams to be more competitive but I forgot they went with soft and medium which should help Ferrari.

Juzh

What part of GRO ends up 3rd anyway in my last post did you miss or intentionally ignore?

iotar__

Juzh wrote:What part of GRO ends up 3rd anyway in my last post did you miss or intentionally ignore?
How does Gros end up third and Vettel is "the very least fourth"?

f1316

iotar__ wrote: How did Lotus end up in comparison with Ferrari? They haven't had any big updates and not that many smaller ones because they can't afford it. Hell they can't even afford a spare gearbox and shouldn't be in the same universe. Ferrari was the second fastest car (the usual position) especially in light of weaker than usual Williams. Qualifying: smaller gaps and obvious reason. Race: on top of other factors I think relative lack of running in Q3 made it a bit of an unknown which sometimes is enough when gaps are smaller and track allows it.

Monza requires unique aero (Lotus can't afford it) and there's less to gain from tyres and top-speed vs downforce compromises. I expected Williams to be more competitive but I forgot they went with soft and medium which should help Ferrari.
Raises a very good point: how does an underfunded team like lotus end up racing/beating the works Ferrari? Answer: by using what it's clear is still by far the best PU.

Lotus and FI's performance in spa and Canada are big indications that - since Canada reliability upgrade particularly - the Mercedes pu is still the class of the field. Mercedes being so far ahead of them is proof of how good their chassis is.

Seems like the Ferrari chassis is pretty decent in the slow/mid speed stuff, judging by Hungary and Monaco, but less so in high speed and not enough to compensate for lack of power (red bull's middle sector in spa with monza spec wing shows they're better able to compensate for a much bigger power deficit).

So yeah, unless the use of only a small amount of tokens is all a bluff, I don't see a podium in monza; maybe top five is doable but possibly even lower. Singapore I'm expecting much better though

Juzh

So, how do you feel now?

iotar__

Juzh wrote:
So, how do you feel now?
Great, thanks for asking. Prediction worked perfectly: Merc - Ferrari - Williams (and Lotus like Spa minus poor man's aero, track with less driver related gains and normal FP). I want at least 100 points :o .

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote:
Juzh wrote:
So, how do you feel now?
Great, thanks for asking. Prediction worked perfectly: Merc - Ferrari - Williams (and Lotus like Spa minus poor man's aero, track with less driver related gains and normal FP). I want at least 100 points :o .
Thanks for jumping in. Much needed break for Ferrari fans from PIRELLI bashing. And yeah, good to see Ferrari raising their performance. Good to see them being best of the rest.