Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
giantfan10

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

FoxHound wrote:It appears the W06 is not all about the pony in the back. it appears that you will have an opinion and then try to justify it with inaccuracies
Felipe Massa
"If we have the same engine, the difference should be in the car. I believe we have the same engine, so it's the car."
they do not have the same software and optimisation that the works team has .. quit playing dumb felipe

Pat Symonds
Over a lap, the Ferrari engine is basically atWILLIAMS Mercedes' level
Apparently the W06 was mid table in terms of the top speed stakes....anyone care to verify?they absolutely were because they chose to run more downforce than the teams trying to catch up because they have more HORSEPOWER the one thing that negates drag.. remember the way the last dominant team(red bull) won? cornering speed is a better thing to have verses top speed
if mercedes was running the same amount of downforce as the cars behind they would be faster on the straight because of their engine advantage.... all the facts and sinple logic point towards mercedes just running more downforce than everybody else knowing that they have the engine to pull it off.
fyi i fixed your post lol

NoDivergence

If cornering speed was the more important thing, nobody would be that much faster than Mercedes in the speed trap. What would happen if Mercedes had the same amount of power but ran more downforce than Ferrari? Yup, they'd be slower in the speed trap and quicker in the lap. What would happen if Mercedes had more power but ran more downforce than Ferrari? They'd be close to top of the speed trap and much quicker around the lap.

Horsepower does not negate drag. It means you consume more fuel.

SectorOne

giantfan10 wrote:all the facts and sinple logic point towards mercedes just running more downforce than everybody else knowing that they have the engine to pull it off.
fyi i fixed your post lol
And just how are they going about this?
Any images showing the massive disrepancy in AoA of rear wings between say Mercedes and Ferrari?
they both skipped the monkey seat for Malaysia.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cold Fussion

NoDivergence wrote:Horsepower does not negate drag. It means you consume more fuel.
Not in a fuel flow limited formula. It doesn't matter if they have 100,000 N or 10 N of drag, they'll still burn 27.78 g/s of fuel when full throttle.

Phil

NoDivergence wrote:What would happen if Mercedes had more power but ran more downforce than Ferrari? They'd be close to top of the speed trap and much quicker around the lap.
Unless they are running even more downforce, creating more drag (lower top-speed than your supposed Ferrari) and even quicker in the corners (and probably better tyre wear to boot). My guess is that the Ferrari PU is very good power-wise, but perhaps the layout and resulting packaging is not as good as the Merc due to different cooling requirements.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Phil

Here is an interesting extract from Auto Motor & Sport that might be interesting:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 14592.html
Auto Motor und Sport wrote:Ein Grund für den souveränen Sieg liegt in der spritsparenden Fahrweise. Hamilton nutzte etwas weniger Benzin, obwohl Rosberg im Winter viel im Simulator an diesem Thema gearbeitet hat. Schon 2014 war dies eines der Probleme der Deutschen. Beide Autos wurden mit der gleichen Spritmenge losgeschickt. Trotzdem musste Rosberg häufiger Tempo rausnehmen.
Translated, it sais that one of the reasons Hamilton won the race was due to his ability to use less fuel than Rosberg, despite the latter spending a lot of time in the simulator over the winter. The fuel usage was already a factor in 2014 for the German. Both cars were sent out with the same amount of fuel. Despite this, Rosberg had to go into fuel saving more more often [than Hamilton].

Not sure if this just refers to 2015 Australian GP or if perhaps it's accepted knowlege that even in 2014, both cars were fueled equally. I decided to post this, as there seems to be various theories that Lewis, thanks to his ability to use less fuel, might have been underfueled relative to Rosberg. AFAIK there was never any clarification by Mercedes on this topic and the above article might be an indication that it is not the case.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SectorOne

Seems much closer this year though. 38 laps - 0.7kg - separated by 2,1 seconds.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Phil

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if it had to do that both were on a tighter fuel budget. I'm not sure now as of which lap Rosberg got instructed to save fuel, but I thought it was already quite early. It's surely going to be interesting to see if we see bigger fuel fluctuations between these two as the season progresses...
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Early on in the race (in the mid teens lap wise) Lewis had used half a kilo less than Nico, but by the end of the race they had used almost the exact same amount. Just yesterday my friend and I where debating if Lewis had intentionally started using more, so that he could obscure his advantage.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

One should also note that Mercedes stated that since they have more downforce this year, their fuel useage has gone up too. It might be that this somehow equalised things between Rosberg and Hamilton.

Rosberg will of course also have worked on this. It might even be that Hamilton last year didn't use up his fuel enough and practiced on using more. After all, if you are carrying it you are better off burning it off.

Also, Melbourne is one of the most fuel-demanding circuits. It might be simply down to the circuit not giving the oppertunity to save on fuel.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Hopefully Malaysia will provide a complete list like we saw last year. Will be interesting to compare all the teams at the same time.

NoDivergence

Cold Fussion wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:Horsepower does not negate drag. It means you consume more fuel.
Not in a fuel flow limited formula. It doesn't matter if they have 100,000 N or 10 N of drag, they'll still burn 27.78 g/s of fuel when full throttle.
Wrong, not when your ultimate race pace is limited by fuel. Lift and coast and drag matters. You do not run full throttle when you are trying to save fuel.

Moose

Cold Fussion wrote:
But the period that you're on full throttle will increase the more drag and downforce you have.

thomin

NoDivergence wrote:If cornering speed was the more important thing, nobody would be that much faster than Mercedes in the speed trap.
Cornering speed becomes more important the more dominant you are. If you know that you'll have a good chance qualifying up front, top speed is not an issue and you can concentrate on optimizing your lap time. When you have to work your way through traffic, you want high top speed to help you overtake and therefore sacrifice some downforce, cornering speed and ultimately laptime.

noel

Manoah2u wrote:
noel wrote:first nico being a dick mid press conference, now borderline anti-semitism from wolff? what the hell?

“It is always a political season. It was last year and it will be this year,” Wolff told reporters. “There is this wall in Jerusalem where you can stand in front and complain. Maybe I should go there.”

source: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... op-moaning
FoxHound wrote:Anti semitism?

Dude, he was making reference to the wailing wall.
Horner is crying a river these days, well, even more than normal anyway.
+2. Anti-semitism #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol: ](*,) ](*,)

and Wolff did not say he should go there, but RedBull should go there. to complain/wail.
nothing anti-sematic about it, there was zero critisism about the excistance of any wall, only critisism against RB.
1. being jewish, believe me, i know about the wall in question.
2. still think it's very unlucky verbiage, hence
3. me saying borderline.
4. clever use of the head vs. wall emoticon.
44 | 22 | 14