Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

What is wrong with Mercedes' strategist(s)?

Kimi still had to box and was just in front of Lewis.
Box Lewis and Nico as well, and let them chase Kimi as we had the pace. Now Nico overdid the brakes by pushing too hard on the mediums. Aaarghh 1-2 lost. :x

But kudos to Merc in terms of pace, was expecting a harder fight from Ferrari.
And Lewis, just epic! =D>
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

SteveRacer

During today's race, I saw a Mercedes crewman wearing a back pack during a pitstop. It was rectangular and black and had a spiral hose coming off of it. The hose looked to go into the crewman's pocket. Any idea what it was?

SectorOne

De Jokke wrote:What is wrong with Mercedes' strategist(s)?
Too afraid of losing track positions when they shouldn´t be.

Instead of covering of Vettel and compromising their stints they should have simply run their intended stint lengths instead.
They disposed of Vettel on equal tire life so doing their intended stint means the tire life will swing in their favor for every next stint they do and will overtake him even more easily.

They were quite lucky to get away with it this time but i´m not sure that´s gonna work out everytime.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

giantfan10
giantfan10

SectorOne wrote:

Instead of covering of Vettel and compromising their stints they should have simply run their intended stint lengths instead.
They disposed of Vettel on equal tire life so doing their intended stint means the tire life will swing in their favor for every next stint they do and will overtake him even more easily.

They were quite lucky to get away with it this time but i´m not sure that´s gonna work out everytime.
good win by mercedes BUT i think ferraris confidence has to be growing... the true story of the race is this,
the lap times merc and ferrari did in Fp2 and 3 were absolutely legit...mercedes panicked and made some setup changes to their car to prolong tire life which showed in the race with them having not much issues with tires....the result of that change after FP3 made them better on tires but compromised their brakes . wolf admitted this in an interview... he also said they were dealing with the brake issue from lap one and the change in setup was a direct result of ferraris pace....mercedes are making a lot of strategy mistakes and its only a matter of time before it jumps up and bites them.. that is if ferrari improves more...

Mr.G

SteveRacer wrote:During today's race, I saw a Mercedes crewman wearing a back pack during a pitstop. It was rectangular and black and had a spiral hose coming off of it. The hose looked to go into the crewman's pocket. Any idea what it was?
I noticed that few races back and want to ask the same question, but don't have a clue, just speculations in my mind :)

EDIT - here in china https://youtu.be/a4oJGf2U0LY?t=40m0s , it looks two guys on the front tires have them on their backs.
Last edited by Mr.G on 20 Apr 2015, 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

GPR-A duplicate2

SectorOne wrote:

IMO Merc is putting a premium on track position, instead of depending upon the power to overtake. Staying ahead gives an opportunity to keep the tyre life in control and keeping the PU healthy, rather than chase in turbulent air and go for risky maneuvers. With the kind of downforce Merc runs, it actually makes sense to keep the track position as overtaking could be difficult in certain circumstances as demonstrated by Vettel yesterday. Expect Merc to continue do that in these circumstances.

dans79

GPR-A wrote: Expect Merc to continue do that in these circumstances.
You are correct regardless of what some of the idiot posters here think.

Merc is going to walk the season if they keep on the way they are. Let's not forget Ferrari is already on their second ICE, and that will have consequences later in the season.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... engine.pdf

If i was Merc, I would block the 5th power unit request, because I think Ferrari is banking on it.
197 104 103 7

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:

Merc is going to walk the season if they keep on the way they are. Let's not forget Ferrari is already on their second ICE, and that will have consequences later in the season.

If i was Merc, I would block the 5th power unit request, because I think Ferrari is banking on it.
and that would do what exactly ? the ICE that ferrari used in the first 3 races is reusable at any point they choose to use it ...wouldnt be surprised if its back in the car for monaco or some other circuit with a low empahasis on horsepower....its even possible to use it for the next 10 friday practices in a row to save wear and tear on their race engines..... its a non issue at this point because the engine was not changed due to failure.
at this point mercedes is the car showing signs of reliability issues not ferrari

dans79

giantfan10 wrote: and that would do what exactly ? the ICE that ferrari used in the first 3 races is reusable at any point they choose to use it ...wouldnt be surprised if its back in the car for monaco or some other circuit with a low empahasis on horsepower....its even possible to use it for the next 10 friday practices in a row to save wear and tear on their race engines..... its a non issue at this point because the engine was not changed due to failure.
at this point mercedes is the car showing signs of reliability issues not ferrari
It is an issue, and it has nothing to do with reliability.

for the sake of argument, lets say Both Merc and Ferrari make a piston (or some other random engine part) design break through in the next 3 weeks that could net 30 - 50 hp. Ferrari can only apply it to the 2 un-used ICE's while Merc could apply it to the 3 they have left. That is a disadvantage to Ferrari, that could hurt them later in the season.
197 104 103 7

Jordan44

giantfan10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

and that would do what exactly ? the ICE that ferrari used in the first 3 races is reusable at any point they choose to use it ...wouldnt be surprised if its back in the car for monaco or some other circuit with a low empahasis on horsepower....its even possible to use it for the next 10 friday practices in a row to save wear and tear on their race engines..... its a non issue at this point because the engine was not changed due to failure.
Running the brakes on the limit in order to allow tyre preservation is not a reliability issue. It is a calculated risk that slightly backfired.

But I agree with your top point. Their first ICE is surely fixable. If I were Merc I wouldn't be bothered about blocking a 5th engine because they still have quite a bit edge on the Scuderia.

FoxHound

I don't think Mercedes are runnning at full tilt because it is not in their interest to win by 30 seconds. They maybe close to maximum, but they aren't showing everything yet.

People switch off, and opponents call for equalisation.
However, I do think Ferrari are not that far away from giving Mercedes a genuine scrap. They are in the mix, but still not ready to challenge head to head.

It's the start of a great rivalry I've waited years for.
And I genuinely hope that Ferrari can improve and take this fight to Mercedes.
I say that as an Uber Mercedes fan, because it's worth more when you beat strong opponents, and it helps when you are beating a team that actually builds cars...rather than anything else I could care to mention.

I'm hoping Ferrari's forthcoming token updates bring them to realistic challenger's for outright victory, toe to toe.
And I genuinely feel Mercedes hope they get it right too.

Win for Ferrari, Win for Merc, and win for F1.

And it may just be my crazy self, but are there not the echoes of McLaren-Mercedes v Ferrari in this budding duel?
Bahrain took me back to 98!
JET set

PlatinumZealot

GPR-A wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

IMO Merc is putting a premium on track position, instead of depending upon the power to overtake. Staying ahead gives an opportunity to keep the tyre life in control and keeping the PU healthy, rather than chase in turbulent air and go for risky maneuvers. With the kind of downforce Merc runs, it actually makes sense to keep the track position as overtaking could be difficult in certain circumstances as demonstrated by Vettel yesterday. Expect Merc to continue do that in these circumstances.
We are simply seeing either:

a) Toto's undying love for Nico his favourite
b) Toto's undying love for Mercedes 1-2

IMO screwing with the strategy to satisfy himself is a huge risk and he certainly won't win the Constructors' Championship if his plans backfire.

A 1st place and 3rd place is 7 more points than a 2nd and 3rd! Toto needs to throw his favouritism out the window and focus on getting the leading driver to win because that is where the points are at!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

giantfan10
giantfan10

FoxHound wrote:I don't think Mercedes are runnning at full tilt because it is not in their interest to win by 30 seconds. They maybe close to maximum, but they aren't showing everything yet.

People switch off, and opponents call for equalisation.
However, I do think Ferrari are not that far away from giving Mercedes a genuine scrap. They are in the mix, but still not ready to challenge head to head.

It's the start of a great rivalry I've waited years for.
And I genuinely hope that Ferrari can improve and take this fight to Mercedes.
I say that as an Uber Mercedes fan, because it's worth more when you beat strong opponents, and it helps when you are beating a team that actually builds cars...rather than anything else I could care to mention.

I'm hoping Ferrari's forthcoming token updates bring them to realistic challenger's for outright victory, toe to toe.
And I genuinely feel Mercedes hope they get it right too.

Win for Ferrari, Win for Merc, and win for F1.

And it may just be my crazy self, but are there not the echoes of McLaren-Mercedes v Ferrari in this budding duel?
Bahrain took me back to 98!
i see we are back to this nonsense again.....the " i think the mercedes are holding back pace" arguement is pretty much dead.
please answer me this question:
1. if mercedes is holding back pace and can win by 30 seconds if they want why would they make setup changes to improve speed and tire life after FP3 knowing that the possibility existed that they could have issues with their brakes?
look mercedes is ahead of ferrari right now in both championships and on the track....why do some feel the need to create fantasies and conspiracy theories giving mercedes some massive theoretical advantage?

FoxHound

Giantfan

Next time you post, please read the post in its entirety rather than surmising false conclusions.
Nowhere did I write of a "massive theoretical advantage" Nor did I intimate there being close to one.
JET set

giantfan10
giantfan10

FoxHound wrote:Giantfan

Next time you post, please read the post in its entirety rather than surmising false conclusions.
Nowhere did I write of a "massive theoretical advantage" Nor did I intimate there being close to one.
"I don't think Mercedes are runnning at full tilt because it is not in their interest to win by 30 seconds. They maybe close to maximum, but they aren't showing everything yet."
Those are your words and they explain my response quite well... let me explain below.
using your logic if mercedes runs at full tilt they would have a massive 30 second advantage.
Since its all in your head and not based on fact it is therefore theoretical.
That should explain in detail how i came to the conclusion that i did.
Look mercedes is ahead, there is really no need to try to exaggerate by how much they are ahead .. what i dont get is why so many people do it