Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
astracrazy

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Not bad:

per year = £33,333,333
each week = £641,026
day = £91,575

lebesset

clever guy hamilton
I have thought for a long time what I would do in his position
instead of signing last year I would have played mercedes along until I was clear if there was better on the table
it's now clear that for the next 2 seasons there isn't going to be a better car , maybe not even going to be one as good
so time to sign on the dotted line
but whereas I am judging that with zero pressure he is at the sharp end , not so easy where he sits
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Just_a_fan

Bigger deal than Nico's. That's going to smart when Nico reads that Mercedes values, monetarily, Hamilton significantly higher than him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

astracrazy

His played his cards right and got himself a cracking deal. I think we can safely say that he wanted to make sure last year wasn't a one off, especially when you think this was meant to have been sorted after the end of last season.

Whilst he said there is no number 1 clause. Surely a deal like this, so big, almost gives him a certain lead way? His getting over double what Nico gets. Even Nico himself must feel lower on the ladder?

De Jokke

lebesset wrote:clever guy hamilton
instead of signing last year I would have played mercedes along until I was clear if there was better on the table
it's now clear that for the next 2 seasons there isn't going to be a better car , maybe not even going to be one as good
but whereas I am judging that with zero pressure he is at the sharp end , not so easy where he sits
Please elaborate, as I can't seem to see why not. Ferrari has already closed up a huge amount of lap time unfortunately...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Miguel

astracrazy wrote:Not bad:

per year = £33,333,333
each week = £641,026
day = £91,575
While the following applies just as well to other top paid drivers, I want to put those figures into perspective: £94k is the maximum graded yearly salary UK universities pay. You really won't get more than that, no matter how many Nobel prices you win, or how much grant money you bring to your university. Hamilton's yearly salary would also be more than 1000x the average UK salary. It's just another planet.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Gaz.

Wow, he'll earn more than the entire Daimler AG board, including bonuses and share options combined, each year for the next three years.

Good luck to him.
Forza Jules

Just_a_fan

He'll sell more cars than the board will, or at least that's what they're hoping...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

So this is the guy who said that was boring to win always with a clearly better car. Well, well...

I would have done the same but those comments sound quite rather hypocrite at that time, and now even more.

ChrisF1

Vasconia wrote:So this is the guy who said that was boring to win always with a clearly better car. Well, well...

I would have done the same but those comments sound quite rather hypocrite at that time, and now even more.
Let's be honest, the thrill is entering the battle and emerging as victor.

I'm sure we've all done kart races where we have battled somebody who you're within a tenth of and spent 20 laps bumper to bumper, then won by the skin of your teeth, and winning 2/3 of the races is more fun than winning 3/3 races with nobody really challenging you.

Hamilton is a racer and said what racers truly mean - they want to fight, and they want to win and know it's because they're a better driver.

Phil

Vasconia wrote:So this is the guy who said that was boring to win always with a clearly better car. Well, well...

I don't see anything hypocritical at all. It's either 1.) be in a winning car and have the chance to win, or 2.) not be in a winning car and not have a chance to win. Doesn't mean it isn't more rewarding to win a championship or a race in a hard fought battle over taking a nap at the front with no real competitors and walking it comfortably - which last year clearly wasn't, despite the 'clearly better car'. Who knows, maybe he'll rap it up by september this year, but I think Rosberg is far from being beaten and might put up a fight along the way. Even if he does continue to win 3 out of 5 gps and wrap it up by September, if every race until then is a thriller with him emerging victor, it still would be very rewarding I could imagine.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

lebesset

De Jokke wrote:
Please elaborate, as I can't seem to see why not. Ferrari has already closed up a huge amount of lap time unfortunately...
well the quantum leap by ferrari has already been pinched off , mercedes have the resources to keep up with any development race , newey has drifted off , honda have started too far back and are unlikely to overtake mercedes in that period of time and McLaren haven't made a quantum leap chassis wise

if you were hamilton , what conclusion would you have come to as to the percentage bet ? what number would you have put your money on when they spun the wheel ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

FoxHound

I reckon Mercedes could've done a deal at 10 million a year. But it's totally irrelevant as Hamiltons marketing value exceeds what Mercedes pay him, and they get probably the best driver on the grid alongside Alonso.

Mercedes wins, Hamilton wins.

My personal view is that no one on gods green earth is worth 100 million over 3 years. But the numbers make sense when you look at the what both bring to the table.
JET set

De Jokke

lebesset wrote:
De Jokke wrote:
well the quantum leap by ferrari has already been pinched off , mercedes have the resources to keep up with any development race , newey has drifted off , honda have started too far back and are unlikely to overtake mercedes in that period of time and McLaren haven't made a quantum leap chassis wise

if you were hamilton , what conclusion would you have come to as to the percentage bet ? what number would you have put your money on when they spun the wheel ?
I hope you are right but I really think that Ferrari will really challenge merc in 2016, if not, in 2017 certainly. So to suggest we'll win the next two seasons easily is a bit too far for me. And Honda will sort things out, they have already clawed back a lot of time (3.5 trimmed to 2 seconds now down on merc) and they still have to sort out their engine + bring token updates (merc as well but for merc the level playing field is smaller than for Honda). I hope that Hami can win this year and the next two after that but I look at it one race at a time.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

SiLo

He'll pay for himself with the constructors points he gets for the team and the resulting money awarded at the end of the year.
Felipe Baby!