Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Moose

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Not the way I read it at all.

I read it as "RedBull told us we had to make bigger gains than we had got, and told us that we should bring untested stuff to the track to achieve that. We did that, and the result was that the untested stuff broke."

djos

Moose wrote:Not the way I read it at all.

I read it as "RedBull told us we had to make bigger gains than we had got, and told us that we should bring untested stuff to the track to achieve that. We did that, and the result was that the untested stuff broke."
That conveniently ignores that Renault, by their own admission, sat on their hands until the end of the season - if you were RBR, surely you'd be lighting a fire under them when you discovered their total lack of progress too!
"In downforce we trust"

Moose

djos wrote:
Moose wrote:Not the way I read it at all.

That conveniently ignores that Renault, by their own admission, sat on their hands until the end of the season - if you were RBR, surely you'd be lighting a fire under them when you discovered their total lack of progress too!
Who said that Renault sat on their hands?

djos

Moose wrote:
djos wrote: That conveniently ignores that Renault, by their own admission, sat on their hands until the end of the season - if you were RBR, surely you'd be lighting a fire under them when you discovered their total lack of progress too!
Who said that Renault sat on their hands?
They admited it:
"We have been pushing an aggressive and late development programme over the winter," said Abiteboul.
"We can do a better job on the engine side but it is not something you can do in one winter."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118171

it's plain as day, not 1 year, BUT 1 Winter.
Last edited by djos on 24 Mar 2015, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Moose

These are simply wooly statements meant to align with F1's rules' assertions that these things all happen "during the winter".

There's no admission, implicit or otherwise that they didn't start work on the engine until November there.

Juzh

Re: Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

Abiteboul wrote: "We can do a better job on the engine side but it is not something you can do in one winter."
So how come ferrari can do it? :lol: What are renault's objectives anyway? To just sit back with last's year PU and wait for 2016? It's only understandable red bull pushed for rapid development. What is the alternative? To have a reliable PU, but one which is 100 bhp down? At least RB tried to accomplish something, whereas it seems renault is contempt with stagnation.

I call BS on E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. renault will say or has said since pre-season testing in 2014.

dans79

WilliamsF1 wrote: Now

" It's hard to have a partner who lies. Adrian is a charming gentleman and an outstanding engineer," he added, "but he has spent his life criticising his engine manufacturers. And he's too old to change."
well it's true, he is always complaining about the engine, even when he is winning.
http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/disp ... 3#page_top

I'm sure if 10+ year old news articles could be found on the net, we would hear Adrian blaming the merc engine for the reliability problems with the MP4-17, MP4-18, MP4-19, & MP4-20. If memory serves they all had heat related reliability problems.
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

Juzh wrote: I call BS on E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. renault will say or has said since pre-season testing in 2014.
You would say that as you are Red Bull fan.
But that still leaves the rather awkward point of Red Bulls demands. And their negative PR directed rather aggressively at Renault.

Lets see a timline of events leading up to this year.
Did Renault have a sub-par engine last year? No.
we established they had a better unit than Ferrari, via stats kindly provided by TurboF1.

We roll on to the winter, where all engine manufacturers do most development. Mercedes and Ferrari included, Not just Renault (again unfairly being singled out here even though they are doing exactly the same as the rest).

Then to the winter tests and the first GP where Renault find plenty issues in them not being able to run the PU at optimum.

Now what happened between the development phase and the niggling problems?
Demands were made by Red Bull, which Renault supplied.
Only, the supplied goods were not to standard I think we can all agree.

Now why would that be the case?
Renault are inept? Nope, I don't buy that. Viry Chattillon are about as far from inept as Red Bull.
Renault don't have the capacity to challenge or keep up with Mercedes/Ferrari? Nah, don't buy that either since they powered 4 championships.

The problem was/is, that Renault did not test these upgrades so as to meet the demands of Red Bull.
Renault are where the buck stops for sure, but a fool would apportion 100% blame to Renault when viewing their supply conditions.

This here is the crux of the matter.
JET set

djos

FoxHound wrote: Did Renault have a sub-par engine last year? No.
you are kidding right? :wtf:

Let's all ignore the Mercedes engine shall we? Just because the Ferrari was slightly less drivable doesnt mean the Renault PU was any good.
Last edited by djos on 24 Mar 2015, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

FoxHound wrote: The problem was/is, that Renault did not test these upgrades so as to meet the demands of Red Bull.
Renault are where the buck stops for sure, but a fool would apportion 100% blame to Renault when viewing their supply conditions.
They've admitted they sat on their hands till winter and then scrambled to catch up, doesn't get any clearer than that - Renault = 100% responsible!
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

Juzh wrote:
Abiteboul wrote: "We can do a better job on the engine side but it is not something you can do in one winter."
So how come ferrari can do it? :lol: What are renault's objectives anyway? To just sit back with last's year PU and wait for 2016? It's only understandable red bull pushed for rapid development. What is the alternative? To have a reliable PU, but one which is 100 bhp down? At least RB tried to accomplish something, whereas it seems renault is contempt with stagnation.

I call BS on E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. renault will say or has said since pre-season testing in 2014.
Couldn't agree more. Spot on. +1

FoxHound

James Allen also has a link up on the story.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/r ... he-engine/
“Our figures have shown that the laptime deficit between Red Bull and Mercedes in Melbourne was equally split between driveability issues, engine performance and chassis performance. It’s therefore the overall package that needs some help and we have been working with the team to move forward.”
Clearly, Mr Abiteboul is privy to the figures. He isn't hiding, far from it:
Australia certainly wasn’t an easy weekend and we fell short of our own expectations, and those of our clients. We need to work together to understand our issues, both within the Power Unit and the chassis.
And some light at the end of the tunnel:
“We’ve been particularly aggressive in development and we should see the results a lot more clearly in Malaysia, particularly since we have had the opportunity to refine the PU using the data from Australia. Work is still ongoing but even now we are in a completely different place to where we finished Melbourne.
This business of "100%" Renault at fault needs to be buried. It's not founded in anything other than hyperbole.
JET set

cossie

They both are behaving like 2 y/0 children throwing temper tantrums with RB being the whiniest. They both will file for divorce by the time the euro race's start. RB buys Cosworth.

Juzh

FoxHound wrote: Was it the best when Renault powered Red Bull won 3 times?
Yes. Because renault's winning had nothing to do with renault's performance and everything to do with merc's self-destructing.

Manoah2u

Juzh wrote:
FoxHound wrote: Was it the best when Renault powered Red Bull won 3 times?
Yes. Because renault's winning had nothing to do with renault's performance and everything to do with merc's self-destructing.
except the fact remains other mercedes or ferrari powered teams weren't the ones picking up the pieces, but it was RedBull with Renault :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"