Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SoCalWJS

Re: Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

Not really a spoiler at this point, but......

Spoiler Alert!

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/190977.html

djos

Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

Jonnycraig wrote:
It's a scripted tv show my man, the 'times' are not real. That's from a close family friend who worked on the show.
Oh there's no doubt it's 99% scripted, but it's also pretty obvious from the stars who drive the reasonably priced cars that most of them take getting a good lap time incredibly seriously, especially the race drivers! So I'm pretty certain that lap times are for real.
"In downforce we trust"

Jonnycraig

djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
It's a scripted tv show my man, the 'times' are not real. That's from a close family friend who worked on the show.
Oh there's no doubt it's 99% scripted, but it's also pretty obvious from the stars who drive the reasonably priced cars that most of them take getting a good lap time incredibly seriously, especially the race drivers! So I'm pretty certain that lap times are for real.
The celebs times are real, give or take. The racing driver times however are pure fabrication. As said, a close family friend did a decade in the show.

Juzh

Jonnycraig wrote: The racing driver times however are pure fabrication.
Fabrication as in the state of tires, engine, car in general? Or just simply made up?

djos

Juzh wrote:
Fabrication as in the state of tires, engine, car in general? Or just simply made up?
Knowing how insanely competitive F1 racing drivers are, I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be using Real times.
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

djos wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Knowing how insanely competitive F1 racing drivers are, I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be using Real times.
Times could be real, circumstances under which they were achieved on the other hand... Webber even mentioned new tarmac in key turns on his second visit.

djos

Iirc Webber was keen to come back because his first time was set on a soaking wet track.
"In downforce we trust"

Phil

I would find it hard to believe that the Topgear times are purely fabricated. Having driven a track numerous times over the past 5 years, I can say that you will have quite a bit of variation in the times due to differing track temperatures and conditions and within the car too. Given that there are only a handfull of episodes per season, I would expect them to at least make sure that the car is reasonably set-up to a reference to give the best 'level playing field' you can over the course of multiple years. Still, track and temperature variations will naturally make it difficult to compare drivers who normally are seperated by tenths on a given day in F1.

I'd be extremely surprised if the times are purely fabricated. There's no reason to do that and why would any driver bother appearing and doing 'a lap' if he knew the times are fabricated? If this were true, it would lose all kinds of credibility, not only with the viewers but also the people who actually go there and participate. Better to just offer a go in the car and communicate that variations in track can cause more or less represantive times. It's all in good fun, a bit of entertainment and NOT a scientific test with scientific results. The problem lies entirely with people who take those times and attribute more meaning to them than there is.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Miguel

I agree that it is not a scientific test, and that it is far from representative. However, I find it really entertaining for two reasons: first, the drivers take it at least semi-seriously. And second, it's amazing to see how these guys manipulate a low-power front-engined FWD car into doing these things. They really are from another planet. What sort of times did normal people do on the Liana? 1:48's?

Anyway, it's sort of intriguing that laps have become so much faster recently. Maybe they've changed the tyres of the car, or the new asphalt is grippier. Perhaps now they warm up the tyres. There's obviously a reason out there, other than just atmospheric changes, which are obviously important.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Phil

Still topgear/Ricciardo related, but after watching Episode 3 last night, I have to say - that lap by Ricciardo... WOW. On the very limit, every corner. Looked at the verge of out-of-control to the point that it is closest described as a "go for gold or die" attempt. :D Having seen that, I do think that the time is quite believable. Good dry and cold conditions help too, obviously.

Good stuff indeed. I'll be very keen to see how Ricciardo will fair this year and I hope the departure of Vettel will not hamper Redbull or Ricciardo's performance in any way.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SectorOne

Would be really nice if they brought back this, i´m sure the drivers would love to do something like this after say Qualifying.
Just make it a complete spec series, no change allowed to anything on the cars.

You could have it so the WCC winner has to field the cars so this year we would have a Mercedes C-class completely stock.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Alexgtt

+1 above. Brilliant idea but make it a deal with a non-F1 connected manufacturer so there can't be any contractual shenanigans. Non modified other than safety stuff like roll cage, etc. Two 20 min races, one after Qually and one Sunday morning. Lottery pick cars at each race so no preferential set ups, etc. They can mess with tyre pressures and nothing else.

This would have to be a goer. Total win all round for TV, F1 PR, drivers and great value for a manufacturer to supply fleet of cars and support. Imagine the fun these guys would have racing each other like that! :D

I suppose the reason it might not happen...............................more entertaining than the main event!! :roll:

Facts Only

Phil wrote:Still topgear/Ricciardo related, but after watching Episode 3 last night, I have to say - that lap by Ricciardo... WOW. On the very limit, every corner. Looked at the verge of out-of-control to the point that it is closest described as a "go for gold or die" attempt. :D Having seen that, I do think that the time is quite believable. Good dry and cold conditions help too, obviously.

Good stuff indeed. I'll be very keen to see how Ricciardo will fair this year and I hope the departure of Vettel will not hamper Redbull or Ricciardo's performance in any way.
His entry into the second to last corner was insane.

I suspect the continually reducing times despite the car being the same are down to over a decade of tyre development between now and when they got the Lianna.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Manoah2u

Alexgtt wrote:+1 above. Brilliant idea but make it a deal with a non-F1 connected manufacturer so there can't be any contractual shenanigans. Non modified other than safety stuff like roll cage, etc. Two 20 min races, one after Qually and one Sunday morning. Lottery pick cars at each race so no preferential set ups, etc. They can mess with tyre pressures and nothing else.

This would have to be a goer. Total win all round for TV, F1 PR, drivers and great value for a manufacturer to supply fleet of cars and support. Imagine the fun these guys would have racing each other like that! :D

I suppose the reason it might not happen...............................more entertaining than the main event!! :roll:
It's simple....liana race
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

burnio7007

Renault confirms that hasn’t shown full potential yet

Renault, Red Bull engine supplier in Formula 1, has confirmed the rumours that it hasn’t shown its full potential on first Formula 1 pre-season tests, at Jerez.

Remi Taffin told to the French outlet F1i that on first Formula 1 pre-season tests, at Jerez, the new Red Bull’s power unit was running at “80 or 90 per cent”.

http://autoronaldo.com/formula-1-renaul ... ntial-yet/