Williams Martini Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams Martini Racing 2015

BAHRAIN GP PRACTICE

17 APR 2015
Bahrain International Circuit
5.412km / 3.362miles

FP1
Weather: Hot and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 33 - 37°C / 26 - 30°C
Valtteri Bottas: FW37-03, PU106B Hybrid: 1:38.390 (3rd)
Felipe Massa: FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid: 1:38.790 (10th)
Quickest Time: K. Raikkonen (1:37.827)

FP2
Weather: Hot and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 26 - 30°C / 32 - 36°C
Valtteri Bottas: FW37-03, PU106B Hybrid: 1:35.280 (5th)
Felipe Massa: FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid: 1:35.884 (10th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg (1:34.647)

Objectives: Set-up work, aero evaluations and tyre work

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It has been a really good day for the team. We had a lot of work to get done over the last couple of days and have hit every target that we set ourselves. There is an awful lot of data that we collected with regards to specification and management of tyres. We are where we expect to be on a Friday with regards to both high and low fuel runs, which is encouraging for qualifying and the race. The team has worked very well and to get through the arduous programme we had set was impressive. We used the conditions to our advantage and gathered data during FP1 as the track temperatures were hotter than we will experience in the race. We used this data and then focused on tyre and car performance in FP2.

Valtteri Bottas: It has been a good Friday. The car feels good but it’s only Friday so it is hard to compare us against our competitors. We are still focusing on tyre performance in a race situation and have made progress, especially with the option tyre, although I think there is a bit more performance to find. We look quite strong for qualifying, but the race pace is important and we need to work hard tonight on this area.

Felipe Massa: I struggled with the balance of the car today but the team have shown there is good pace. We need to work hard tonight and make the right changes to get the car balance right, and then show the pace that Valtteri has shown today. We have also been working on tyre performance and have certainly made steps in the right direction.

LookBackTime

BAHRAIN GP QUALIFYING

18 APR 2015

Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir
5.412kms / 3.362 miles

Qualifying Notes
• Valtteri Bottas qualified fifth and Felipe Massa sixth for tomorrow’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
• Both drivers made it safely through into Q3 after just one run on the option tyres in Q2.
• The team worked well to maximise the performance of the car in qualifying with Valtteri ending the session just 0.154s adrift of Räikkönen’s Ferrari in fourth.

Q1
V. Bottas: 1:34.161 (2nd)
F. Massa: 1:34.488 (4th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton: 1:33.928

Q2
F. Massa: 1:33.551 (3rd)
V. Bottas: 1:33.897 (6th)
Quickest Time: L Hamilton: 1.32.669

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:33.381 (5th)
F. Massa: 1:33.744 (6th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton: 1:32.571

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was a good qualifying for us, our cars are fifth and sixth quickest out there and we also saved tyres for the race. The team has worked well together, probably the best we have all year. We have maximised the potential from qualifying and have set ourselves up well for the race but we do still need a bit more performance out of the package to fight with the cars in front.

Valtteri Bottas: We are a little closer to the Ferrari in front but I expected a bit more, I’m not unhappy to get P5 as it is representative of our pace. The race is long and will be tougher than today, the start will be especially important considering Turn One can produce problems. As a team we did a good job, we got the best out of the tyres and it is refreshing to finally to get a clean qualifying session.

Felipe Massa: I did a great lap in Q2, so was upset not to replicate this in Q3 after a few mistakes. The best position I could have achieved today was P5 and Valtteri has that, so the cars are where they should be. Overtaking is possible here so we can have a good race, but tyre management and strategy will be important. I am not unhappy, we are not out of position and there is a long race ahead tomorrow.

LookBackTime

BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

19 APR 2015
Race Notes
• Valtteri Bottas finished fourth and Felipe Massa tenth in today’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
• After a sensor issue on the final fire up caused Felipe’s power unit not to start he was forced to start from the pitlane.
• Felipe fought his way back up to eighth but, struggling for pace due to damage sustained after being hit in the early stages, he dropped back to tenth in the final laps.
• Valtteri made a clean getaway from the grid and after holding P5 for the majority of the race, he was able to capitalise on Sebastian Vettel’s unplanned pitstop for a new front wing, holding off the Ferrari successfully for 17 laps to take fourth.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was a race of two halves today for us. Felipe had a sensor issue on the grid and we struggled to return from that. In the end Felipe drove a great race to fight back and bring the car home with a point. Valtteri had a great race as we managed to capitalise on Vettel’s mistake and he did a brilliant job to hold off the Ferrari for 17 laps in the closing stages. Overall, our targets are being met in terms of Championship position but we need to develop the package quicker to catch the cars in front.

Valtteri Bottas: I am pleased with the race and happy with fourth position. It was a real shame for the team that Felipe had an issue at the start. It was a lonely race but the final 20 laps were very tough. Sebastian was quicker than me, and closed up behind very fast, but the fight was really good fun. I know a few tricks that can really help to defend and they all worked today, and I am delighted to come out on top today.

Felipe Massa: It was a frustrating day for me to have to start from the pitlane. The car struggled to fire-up and once under way I had a lot of positions to make up. A few laps in at Turn Four, Maldonado ran into the back of me and damaged something. From then on I really struggled with the rear and the car was very hard to drive. It was a difficult day but one point is better than nothing.

roadie

Amazing result from BOT to hold of VET for so long. I think he really concentrated on ensuring good corner exits to use the FW37's strength in straightline speed.

Real shame that MAS suffered damage after a massively frustrating problem. Still, good to get a result and extend the team's points advantage in 3rd place in the WCC.

roadie

Details of the Williams accounting results.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/04 ... nclusions/

iotar__

roadie wrote:Details of the Williams accounting results.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/04 ... nclusions/
Saward's jedi gestures, if the numbers are good it's good if they're not it doesn't matter:
- Maldonado's money used for 2013, what does it matter if it won't happen again? Were 2013 numbers good because of that or not?
- new sponsors - OK but see above
- should be equalised more by prize money unless it's used for 2015 ;-)

Losses are:
1.The cost of a relative success in F1. Relative because of competition: McLaren, engines - Ferrari/RB, money - the rest. Their finances were fine because they had two paying drivers, extra Ecclestone money for nothing and low cost medium reward approach.
2. Engines related. Nothing about costs of expensive engines contributing to it, both units themselves and development in other areas to adjust? Since he is "pro" hybrids and F1 is fantastic now this topic doesn't exist.

Sevach

The argument about Maldonado's money would look a lot better if Williams didn't post a loss in 2013 as well.
Now we need to wait for 2015 numbers where they'll have Rexona (plus others) and prize money for 3rd.

Williams is always going to be in a better situation than Lotus, Force India and Sauber because of historical payments, but to compete at the top level you need an association with a big company.

djos

Losses are frequently intentionally booked for tax reasons too.
"In downforce we trust"

bill shoe

I was concerned about Williams' losses, so I decided to buy an official team shirt. Including shipping to the U.S., it totaled $110, easily the most expensive non-suit garment I've ever bought. I'm usually a cheap bastard, but I'm happy with the shirt. And you can all expect Williams' 2015 financials to be much improved... =D>

mikeerfol

For anyone interested there's a Pat Symonds Q&A on reddit here http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/commen ... technical/

LookBackTime

SPANISH GP PRACTICE

08 MAY 2015
Circuit de Catalunya
4.655kms / 2.892miles

FP1
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 20 - 23°C / 18 - 30°C
Felipe Massa: FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid: 1:28.831 (8th)
Susie Wolff: FW37-03, PU106B Hybrid: 1:29.708 (14th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg (1:26.828)

FP2
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 27 - 30°C / 46 - 51°C
Valtteri Bottas: FW37-03, PU106B Hybrid: 1:28.525 (8th)
Felipe Massa: FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid: 1:28.712 (10th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton (1:26.852)

Objectives: Set-up work, aero evaluations and tyre work

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: We had a programme of experiments we wanted to get through this morning that focused on tyre management and understanding the updates we have brought to this race. Susie was excellent and acquitted herself really well, especially as she hasn’t driven the car since winter testing. The parts we tested in FP1 were carried forward to FP2 and they have been working well which is very positive. Felipe picked up some damage during his short run so his lap time was not particularly representative. We are looking good in terms of long run pace, but can make improvements to our performance in qualifying mode.

Felipe Massa: Today was a normal Friday and we worked through our programme well. The focus was on understanding the tyres and maximising the performance of the package ready for qualifying and the race. We know this track well from testing, but the conditions were very different with a lot of wind and hotter temperatures so the lap times were slower. Mercedes and Ferrari are still looking very strong so we will need to wait and see where we are compared to them.

Valtteri Bottas: Missing the first session meant the second practice became more important so I’m happy we had a good run plan and could do everything we targeted with the tyres, car set-up and testing the updates. Now we need to look through the data and I’m sure there is still some more we can unlock from the package in time for qualifying. It’s too early to say anything about performance and where we stand, so we will have to wait until tomorrow to see where we are compared to our rivals. Having said that we are very much looking forward rather than backwards and looking to close the gap to Mercedes and Ferrari.

Susie Wolff: Overall it was a good session because we managed to complete all of the work we had planned. For me it was slightly frustrating that I made a mistake in Turn 3 on my quickest lap, but apart from that it’s so good to get back in the car because you learn so much every time you take to the wheel. There is always that middle ground of pushing but ensuring that the car comes back in once piece, so it was important for me to not cause any difficulties for Valtteri and set him up well for the sessions ahead. This has been a good basis and I can analyse what I did right, what I need to improve next time, and use that for my next FP1 session which is coming up soon.

LookBackTime

SPANISH GP QUALIFYING

09 MAY 2015

Circuit de Catalunya
4.655kms / 2.892miles

Qualifying Notes
• Valtteri Bottas qualified fourth and Felipe Massa ninth for tomorrow’s Spanish Grand Prix
• Valtteri drove a clean qualifying with consistent pace in all sessions to split the Ferraris in Q3 and start on the second row.
• After using two sets of option tyres to ensure his place in the top ten shootout, Felipe had just one timed lap in Q3, but a mistake in Turn 3 lost him time.

Q1
F. Massa: 1:27.165 (5th)
V. Bottas: 1:27.262 (6th)
Quickest Time: L Hamilton: 1:26.382

Q2
F. Massa: 1:26.147 (4th)
V. Bottas: 1:26.197 (6th)
Quickest Time: N Rosberg: 1:25.166

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:25.694 (4th)
F. Massa: 1:26.757 (9th)
Quickest Time: N Rosberg: 1:24.681

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: We’ve brought some upgrades to this grand prix and today has shown that we have more than kept pace with our rivals, and perhaps moved a bit ahead of the teams that have been behind us. Seeing as this is a track that does not necessarily suit our car, the fact that we still have the Ferraris and Mercedes in our sights is very positive. Felipe lost a lot of time on his flying lap in Q3 after going off the track at Turn 3, which is a shame, but these things happen when you’re pushing hard. Valtteri starts in a strong position and our focus will be on trying to get a car home on the podium tomorrow.

Valtteri Bottas: It's always a good feeling to split the Ferraris. We knew that if we got everything right we could be close and that's what happened. It was pretty much the maximum we could do today. If we can get a good start and get the strategy right, then maybe we can have a repeat of Bahrain and keep one of the Ferraris behind us. We have improved the race pace in the past few weeks but we know Ferrari are still strong on long runs, so it's up to us to do what we can to stay in front.

Felipe Massa: I’m disappointed because I made a mistake in Turn 3 on my flying lap in Q3, running off the track which lost me a lot of time. I had to use two sets of options in Q2 to make sure that I was safe, so that one timed lap in Q3 had to be it. Without that mistake I could have been in the top five. The car's long run pace looked solid yesterday so provided we get a clean start I should be able to move forwards, so there is still a lot to play for tomorrow with a good amount of points on offer.

LookBackTime

SPANISH GRAND PRIX

10 MAY 2015
Race Notes:
• Valtteri Bottas finished fourth and Felipe Massa sixth in today’s Spanish Grand Prix.
• Valtteri’s long second stint on the option tyre allowed the team to change from a three-stop to a two-stop race, helping him to keep the closing Ferrari of Räikkönen at bay in the final laps.
• Felipe managed to make up positions in the opening stint and drove an untroubled and consistent race to collect eight points for the team.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: Overall I’m pleased with the result today. The car has shown pretty good pace throughout the weekend and we wanted to see if we could convert that potential into points. There was a lot of talk about different teams bringing updates for this race with big gains. We have shown that our improvements have moved us forwards and this ended up being our closest finish to Ferrari. It was a good job by the aerodynamic team and all the people back at Grove, as well as an excellent operational performance from the team today, with good strategy choices and well executed pitstops. We need to keep heading in this direction and to keep finding additional performance gains in this package to help us challenge for podiums in future.

Valtteri Bottas: It feels good to split the Ferraris for a second race in a row and this has been another solid points haul for the team. Tyre life was better than we expected and as a result we changed from a three-stop to a two-stop race, which was a good strategic choice from the team because it allowed me to keep Räikkönen behind. The big positive is that we were closer to the leaders than we have been at any point this season. That gives me a lot of hope because we have shown that the updates we are bringing are improving our performance. I want to thank all the team here and in Grove for providing me with a great car to go racing with, and I’d also like to thank Mercedes HPP as they continue to push hard on the power unit to help us keep our competitors at bay.

Felipe Massa: It was a good race for the team, scoring 20 points, not losing too much to Ferrari, but also getting a lot more than Red Bull which is really important and positive for our championship position. I managed to overtake cars on the first lap and then fought hard with Kimi (Räikkönen) for a long time, which was hard on the tyres. Because of the extra degradation a three-stop race was better for me today, but it meant the others were too far ahead. We finished with one car in front of a Ferrari so we have shown that we can be competitive with them and we can now look forward to Monaco which will be a very different test for the car.

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

valtteribottas
2 minutes ago · Circuito De Montmelo Barcelona(ESPAÑA)
Great job by the team and merc engine people this weekend. P4 today and we were closer to ferrari than before.. Steady progress being made and all the time getting stronger and stronger! Lets keep going!