Williams Martini Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
jmfdvm

Re: Williams Martini Racing 2015

efuloni wrote:
Facts Only wrote:After how-ever-many years of being a test/development driver they don't put Susie Wolf in the car to replace Bottas (if he can't drive) then it will just prove that they aren't serious about her abilities and it's just been a marketing stunt/nepotism .

I think it's time for Williams and Wolf to 'put up' or 'shut up'

Accuse me of being sexist (I'm sure someone will) but it's a shame to me that there are no women in drives on merit and this endless 'development' driver game is played.
OMG... She can't get a superlicense. I thinkI said it 3 times already.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -criteria/
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand. I did google search including the info here, http://www.f1technical.net/news/19864, and the points system doesn't take affect until 2016 season as I originally thought. So why can't Susie Wolf get a superlicense?? I am not advocating for her, and don't think she is the most qualified available driver if a substitute is needed, but I do want to understand and the article you linked from NBCSports says she can't get a superlicense but they don't state for what year.

Is there a different rule that would prevent Williams from requesting a superlicense for next week, because the points system doesn't apply. Thanks for any explanation.

efuloni

jmfdvm wrote:
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand. I did google search including the info here, http://www.f1technical.net/news/19864, and the points system doesn't take affect until 2016 season as I originally thought. So why can't Susie Wolf get a superlicense?? I am not advocating for her, and don't think she is the most qualified available driver if a substitute is needed, but I do want to understand and the article you linked from NBCSports says she can't get a superlicense but they don't state for what year.

Is there a different rule that would prevent Williams from requesting a superlicense for next week, because the points system doesn't apply. Thanks for any explanation.
You are right. Now I'm confused too. :wtf:

efuloni

Maybe she said that in the interview meaning 2016, cause she knew there was no vacancy in 2015.

Facts Only

Jonnycraig wrote:
Facts Only wrote:After how-ever-many years of being a test/development driver they don't put Susie Wolf in the car to replace Bottas (if he can't drive) then it will just prove that they aren't serious about her abilities and it's just been a marketing stunt/nepotism .

I think it's time for Williams and Wolf to 'put up' or 'shut up'

Accuse me of being sexist (I'm sure someone will) but it's a shame to me that there are no women in drives on merit and this endless 'development' driver game is played.
Are you seriously having to ask whether Wolff being a driver is a PR stunt? :lol:

If she didn't have lady bits, she wouldn't be in Motorsport. Let alone driving an F1 car.
No, I'm asking if Williams and Wolff are ever going to put their money where there mouth is or are they going to let this pointless 'development driver' role go on forever and prove she doesn't have the ability.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

WaikeCU

Susie training hard despite not having a drive for the moment.
https://twitter.com/Susie_Wolff/status/ ... 2103852032 Toto, are you sure you had an accident with a bike and an exercise ball? :lol:

Manoah2u

WaikeCU wrote:Susie training hard despite not having a drive for the moment.

https://twitter.com/Susie_Wolff/status/ ... 2103852032

Toto, are you sure you had an accident with a bike and an exercise ball? :lol:
erm, actually being active in the sport....i can say.....she really really sucks at this...as in....better not had post this.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing
This looks uncomfortably 'warm' but necessary for a quick stop come race day

roadie

I believe the hiring of Sutil is a good solution to a short term problem. It was obvious that a team with Williams' ambition could not give serious consideration to putting Mrs Wolff in for a race, or an inexperienced driver.

WaikeCU

roadie wrote:I believe the hiring of Sutil is a good solution to a short term problem. It was obvious that a team with Williams' ambition could not give serious consideration to putting Mrs Wolff in for a race, or an inexperienced driver.
Had Bottas not been given a Go for this weekend, I believe that Sutil would have been in the car. He must have done lots of simulator work last week prior to this weekend. I wouldn't be amazed to see him wandering around the paddock this weekend as well.

LookBackTime

MALAYSIAN GP PRACTICE

27 MAR 2015
Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia
5.543km/3.444miles

FP1
Weather: Hot and humid
Air & track temperatures: 29-32°C/39-50°C
V. Bottas: FW36-03, PU106B Hybrid 1:41.882 (8th)
F. Massa: FW36-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:42.103 (11th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg 1:40.124

FP2
Weather: Hot and humid
Air & track temperatures: 33-35°C/57-61°C
V. Bottas: FW36-03, PU106B Hybrid 1:40.450 (5th)
F. Massa: FW36-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:40.560 (6th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:39.790

Objectives: Set-up work, aero evaluations and tyre work

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was a really busy day for us with plenty of experiments with the chassis and the power unit. We have made good progress in these areas both on low and high fuel. We have plenty to look at to be prepared for tomorrow. The cooling is so important as the temperatures are very high, but we have done a great job on this so we feel prepared.

Valtteri Bottas: The changes we have made to my driving position have been positive and it was nice to be able to drive without any pain. I am confident for the rest of the weekend that I won’t be troubled by my back. The track in the morning was really dirty with a lot of dust which will change throughout the weekend and the second session was very hot. The short runs were good but the car had some damage to a rear brake duct in the long runs so it is hard to give any accurate feedback.

Felipe Massa: It has been quite a difficult day. The tyres have suffered a lot in the conditions and the degradation is high, but it is the same for everyone. The aim is to close the gap to the people in front. There is time for this but we will study the data carefully to make sure we can get the best out of the car.

Earnard Beccelstone

Not such a good weekend for Williams.

Some solid points, but dodgy pitstops and not-so-great strategy calls by the team (again). Qualifying was very iffy as well. Apparently the team stuffed up the tyre pressures, leading to overheating.

I think its clear now that Williams haven't made much of a step forward towards narrowing the gap to Mercedes. Worse still for the team, Ferrari seems to have leapfrogged them as the team most likely to challenge Mercedes for wins.

This means that Williams appears to have been relegated to fighting for positions off the podium.

When (or if) Redbull and Lotus get their act together, I expect that they'll form a 'best of the rest' pack scrapping for the remaining points on offer.

In my personal pecking order, I've now demoted Williams from a tentative second to a firm third.

efuloni

Like Massa said, the result on sunday was the best the team could do. And yes, by now they are a solid third.

But last year, if you remember, they weren't even this in the beginning. Williams had quali issues, rain issues... They went from that to arguably the second best team in the second part of the season. This is so true that in the first semester the goal was fighting Ferrari for the third place in constructors and, in the end of the year, they finished about 100 points ahead of the red team.

I'm not saying Williams will win races, but the results so far are not to keep the heads down. If they have a similar development as last year, we may see them fighting for podium (and maybe some victories) again.

maxxer

For a team which where runners up last year and have won championships i think they do make silly mistakes.

Not having a reserve driver to drive a point scoring car , messing up few pit stops during the race because of the jack being to small.( i think you are allowed to try the jack back in the office not only on testing days)

sigh...

What else do they mess up for a race weekend which we dont know about, but williams gets the private jet flying a few times from uk to the circuits.

Sevach

I wonder if they are running out of options with this concept and will need a big change of course to improve? And are they willing to do that? Or they'll be happy in being a distant 3rd?