Scuderia Toro Rosso 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso 2015

Vasconia wrote:Sainz is impressing me more and more each race, faultless and precise driving in Monaco, both on qualy and race. =D>

Verstappen needs to calm down, he is really fast but he was driving on a "overexcited" mode. That accident could have been something worse.
Coudn't agree more about Sainz. The guy is clearly doing a great job. To be fair to Max, he had a bad pit stop and before that his race was going normal. He did an amazing job sticking behind Vettel to close the gap to his competitors. His inexperience showed when he spoke about his trick of using Vettel to overtake Grosjean, which was heard by Lotus and conveyed to Grosjean, who in turn did a great job of immediately covering Max after letting Vettel go. That was the frustrating point for Max and he got too worked up for an overtake. I liked the fact that he is now getting more aggressive (of course wouldn't want him to become a Crash Kid) after having been sutle in previous races.

George-Jung
George-Jung

I don't understand all the comments about Verstappen, the guy was one of the only drivers who made some impressive overtakes at Monaco this year. Yes he maybe made a mistake with Grosjean, but it could have happen to anybody and has nothing to do with him being just 17 or inexperienced..

Just look at Vettel, when he crashed Button in Spa.. he became a 4 times wdc..
Look at Hamilton crashing Raikkonen in the pitlane in Canada.. he became a 2times wdc and probably soon a 3times wdc..

Verstappen is a real racer, we should all embrace that.
If it wasn't to his bad pitstop, the boy would have scored big time this race..

But bad luck is part of the game.. just look at Hamilton.

TheRMVR

Great drive by Sainz and Verstappen once again. Finally someone went for it, I like Verstappens driving style, unfortunately he called the situation totally wrong. In his defence though, I have never seen anyone break as early as Grosjean did at St.Devote...

*Also ridiculous to hear Grosjean calling someone a 'f*cking idiot' for crashing, coming from the master himself..

Godius

Toro Rosso needs to work on their pit stop capabilities. Max lost a lot of positions because of the mess up at the first pit stop. It is not the first time that that crew makes very costly mistakes, it happened to Sainz as well th is season. You could really notice by max his driving style that he was frustrated with the loss of track position, in this way he clearly lacked experience to keep his head calm. But his driving style was really breathtakingly good, I haven't been so excited by a driver in years.

iotar__

George-Jung wrote:I don't understand all the comments about Verstappen, the guy was one of the only drivers who made some impressive overtakes at Monaco this year.
What overtakes? He drove past Maldonado who didn't have brakes, so did Button, that wasn't an overtake. Who did he overtake? Sainz with team orders?
TheRMVR wrote:Great drive by Sainz and Verstappen once again. Finally someone went for it, I like Verstappens driving style, unfortunately he called the situation totally wrong. In his defence though, I have never seen anyone break as early as Grosjean did at St.Devote...*Also ridiculous to hear Grosjean calling someone a 'f*cking idiot' for crashing, coming from the master himself..
You should watch more races then, starting with all the previous laps of two Lotuses and Toro Rossos. Name in numbers those braking points and speed please, your wrong impression is not enough. Never mind the consequences of going at such speed in this direction, what was he trying to achieve? You probably haven't seen anyone braking as early as Maldonado when junior drove into his back and damaged his wing earlier, a pattern. I can safely say I haven't seen such a bad overtaking attempt at this corner or any corner for a long time, Grosjean's speed that is not questionable BTW (ask stewards with all their telemetry) and had nothing to do with what Verstappen did. This braked too early as an excuse exists only in alternative universes of Red Bull's marketing and places like this. Watch Alonso - Vettel Silverstone '14 Alonso braked "too early" 50 times.

What's ridiculous about calling an idiot an idiot that can't control the speed, braking points, distance and his own car that drove into your back and ruined your race? Do you find comments from Nasr or Massa ridiculous calling Verstappen dangerous for others?
"I would say what for me was pretty dangerous was the accident with Verstappen," Massa said. "He's supposed to get a penalty for what he did. So he just braked behind, much later and what happened was very dangerous. With Verstappen blaming Grosjean for brake testing him, Massa says he was too far behind to even attempt a move. "To be honest he was not even in a position to overtake. He was not even near to go alongside, he was behind. So to be honest it was too much what happened."
"So it shows that maybe experience counts in Formula One, and I think to teach about this type of accident they need to control better because it was very dangerous. So he was lucky that he was not hurt, because he could have been very hurt by what happened."
“The accident is proof of his inexperience,” the 22-year-old Sauber driver, who arrived in F1 this year after three seasons in GP2, told Brazil’s Globo.“I had an excellent education,” said Nasr, “and the time spent in each category was essential to be able to debut well in F1.”“I learned a lot at Williams (as test driver) last year and entered F1 at the right age. I could not imagine myself in Formula 1 even at 20, considering all that I learned in these last few seasons,” he insisted.
So this "great" race included:
- putting the car into barriers in practice
- getting out-qualified by two slower cars and his team-mate
- in Q benefiting from Sainz's penalty, Alonso's engine failure and possibly Button's yellow flags and Grosjean's grid penalty
- in the race benefiting from Maldonado's brake failure
- damaging his FW driving into Maldonado earlier
- crashing spectacularly
If reality doesn't agree with you too bad for reality. Now for the next chapter of an ongoing exercise: what would be now happening if it was Maldonado. Judging by reactions after Bahrain '14 life time ban calls and menace to society routines by pseudo journalists and confused audience. I wonder what was Guttierez's braking point lap earlier then and did you praise him for "going at it"? I despise double standards like that.

Vasconia

Godius wrote:Toro Rosso needs to work on their pit stop capabilities. Max lost a lot of positions because of the mess up at the first pit stop. It is not the first time that that crew makes very costly mistakes, it happened to Sainz as well th is season. You could really notice by max his driving style that he was frustrated with the loss of track position, in this way he clearly lacked experience to keep his head calm. But his driving style was really breathtakingly good, I haven't been so excited by a driver in years.
Absolutely, their job with the pitstops is terrible, so many mistakes so far!!

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

iotar__ wrote:Massa says he was too far behind to even attempt a move. "To be honest he was not even in a position to overtake. He was not even near to go alongside, he was behind. So to be honest it was too much what happened."
Umm... call me stupid, but generally to do an overtake you do come from behind somebody, so Verstappen was actually in a position to overtake - he was doing a surprise move a la Hamilton on Schumi, and Hamilton on Mouldynado in 2011 (?)

George-Jung
George-Jung

iotar__ wrote: You probably haven't seen anyone braking as early as Maldonado when junior drove into his back and damaged his wing earlier, a pattern...
Just get your facts straight.. It wasn't during braking, Maldonado just didn't accelerate..

turbof1

Verstappen told it was not an overtake manoeuvre, but an attempt to avoid the crash. He was caught out by Grosjean braking at that point.

It's something you need to learn the hard way. Most inexperienced race drivers subconsciously have the impression everybody brakes at the same points they do. That's probably true for most of the time, but it will catch you out if somebody is struggling that much that he has to brake several metres early.

To counter this, you need to be observant to what the car in front does before you catch his back.

Honestly, the penalty was quite harsh. Mark Webber got caught out too in 2010 when he ran into the Lotus and got launched into the air, yet did not receive a penalty for essentially the same thing (it was a bit more extreme). It's a racing accident.
#AeroFrodo

George-Jung
George-Jung

Here something slightly offtopic, but fun to watch.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Here the crash with Grosjean, just in retrospect.. he could have moved to the left.. but that is easy to say at this point.

turbof1

George-Jung wrote:Here the crash with Grosjean, just in retrospect.. he should have moved to the left.. but that is easy to say at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGSkxQe-4rw
Very unlucky for Verstappen. If he reacted a tenth earlier he would have avoided Grosjean altogether. He actually choose the correct side since Grosjean moved back to the left, which could have been a much more frontal crash with bigger consequences.

Definitely not an overtaking attempt, just an attempt to dodge the car.
#AeroFrodo

George-Jung
George-Jung

turbof1 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:Here the crash with Grosjean, just in retrospect.. he should have moved to the left.. but that is easy to say at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGSkxQe-4rw
Very unlucky for Verstappen. If he reacted a tenth earlier he would have avoided Grosjean altogether. He actually choose the correct side since Grosjean moved back to the left, which could have been a much more frontal crash with bigger consequences.

Definitely not an overtaking attempt, just an attempt to dodge the car.
Than could you say that Grosjean moved in the braking zone from left side to right side back to left side, which isn't allowed if I am correct..?
If Verstappen would have dived left in the outside (like Ricciardo did in the inside with Raikkonen) than would it be a racing incident if they touched/collided?

turbof1

No Grosjean is entitled to do so. You are allowed to make one defensive move plus a move back to the racing line, given you leave enough room for any car if that car is on the racing line. Verstappen was not on the racing line anymore anyway.

It could, with all the irony, have been judged by the stewards as a racing incident without penalty if Verstappen indeed went left and rammed Grosjean full in the back. I believe he was judged to have attempted to overtake Grosjean, but I really believe he actually tried to dodge Grosjean.

In my eyes this is a racing incident by all intents and purposes. Grosjean just was in the awful position of needing to brake earlier then Verstappen needed to, and Verstappen got caught out of it. Fine, Verstappen should maybe have known this, but both the crash which will left him very sore the day after, and the disability to continue the race was enough of punishment already.
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

ChrisF1 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Massa says he was too far behind to even attempt a move. "To be honest he was not even in a position to overtake. He was not even near to go alongside, he was behind. So to be honest it was too much what happened."
Umm... call me stupid, but generally to do an overtake you do come from behind somebody, so Verstappen was actually in a position to overtake - he was doing a surprise move a la Hamilton on Schumi, and Hamilton on Mouldynado in 2011 (?)
"Too far behind" part explains it, attempt involves possibility of something happening ;-) . The other driver shouldn't be a topic of this discussion anyway but for RB's shifting attention tricks. It was junior that braked too late - considerably too late attempting nothing but a high speed collision in Monaco 1st corner of all places. I find calling Grosjean "master crasher" and praising someone later for "going at it" after this no attempt at anything dishonest. Grosjean pulled off many risky but very clean moves in his career, something Verstappen needs to learn.

He should consider himself very lucky he got only five places and his legs are intact, although judging by his comments and driving I'm not sure his head is. I'm surprised that Whiting that stops the race every time he sees a crane in the distance is not commenting on this incident, safety and Verstappen's reaction. Since he is the chosen project of the co-owners of this circus he's allowed to talk like that, at least until something like Suzuka '14 happens. In case you forgot Massa was the one driver critisizing conditions there.