Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nevill3

Re: Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

I thought Ferrari couldn't supply 2014 engines indefinitely, because they only have a certain amount of "old" stock. It makes sense to try to run a 2015 car this year especially with the stability of the regulations for 2016. Even only getting the last third of the current season with a new car could be useful in designing things for 2016.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

turbof1

nevill3 wrote:I thought Ferrari couldn't supply 2014 engines indefinitely, because they only have a certain amount of "old" stock. It makes sense to try to run a 2015 car this year especially with the stability of the regulations for 2016. Even only getting the last third of the current season with a new car could be useful in designing things for 2016.
It's a matter of costs vs benefits. As you said, the rules remain stable for 2016. However, you can take that both ways: do you want to rush the car now to have a bit more performance this year, or do you want to properly develop the car for next year, knowing that the 2015 car might not be enough to close the gap this year?

On the other hand, the rules look to change in 2017. Is it worth, for the position Marussia is in, to develop 2 cars, or just one?
#AeroFrodo

FW17

“I think that’s a strategy we need to think about.

“We haven’t been in the wind tunnel since October last year .........................”

turbof1

WilliamsF1 wrote:“I think that’s a strategy we need to think about.

“We haven’t been in the wind tunnel since October last year .........................”
Well, those are factors that make it a whole lot more difficult to introduce the car, but does not yet outright state they will not have a 2015 car :P.

For the record, I do agree with your opinion. It does not look doable to get it done in time for Spa, and the only other worthwhile moment after that is Singapore.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

Manor in its current form reminds me a bit of Virgin Racing, a lot of talk about being there but not spending enough.

Since Australia Manor has not shown any urgency in spending on the team. They just seems to be dragging along with no urgency to catch up with the midfield. If there is no new car this year the task of bridging the gap next year is even lesser (unless they are willing to spend $150 million a year).

skoop

i thought the deal they got was like "okay, you can run your 14 car in 2015, but you have to introduce your 15 car during the 2015 season".
has anything changed, or am i completely mistaken?

turbof1

skoop wrote:i thought the deal they got was like "okay, you can run your 14 car in 2015, but you have to introduce your 15 car during the 2015 season".
has anything changed, or am i completely mistaken?
They never got a deal. They were proposed they could run the original 2014 car in 2015, but a voting blocked that. They adapted their 2014 chassis instead to meet the 2015 rules. They could even run the very same car next year since the technical rules don't change.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

They never asked to run a 2015 car without modifications

Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:Manor in its current form reminds me a bit of Virgin Racing, a lot of talk about being there but not spending enough.

Since Australia Manor has not shown any urgency in spending on the team. They just seems to be dragging along with no urgency to catch up with the midfield. If there is no new car this year the task of bridging the gap next year is even lesser (unless they are willing to spend $150 million a year).
They don't have the money to spend. They are dripfed last years winnings a round at a time, hence BE claim of stopping the Australia instalment, they currently are running a second car for free, and James Allen has backed up my assertion earlier in the thread that Fitzpatrick doesn't have the cash to privately finance the team.

You would presume the plan is to simply survive 2015, and bring King and his personal sponsorships up from GP2.

FW17

That would guarantee them 2-3 seconds behind the next slowest car

Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:That would guarantee them 2-3 seconds behind the next slowest car
Doubt they are genuinely that worried about that.

turbof1

Their primary focus at the moment is just to survive, and to get within the 107%. I don't know exactly how much those 2 parameter have been secured at this moment, but when they are they can start focussing on the longer term. The initial timing they have given themselves is after the summerbreak, so I assume they still have the data on the 2015 car they partly developed last year given the rather short timeframe. That's atleast a positive thing; now it'll probably depend on getting the necessary funds together.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:That would guarantee them 2-3 seconds behind the next slowest car
Doubt they are genuinely that worried about that.

I think they should be. 2-3 seconds off the pace is one of the reasons they went bankrupt. Next year what they can charge pay drivers also will be an issue for manor as the number of drivers is going to be lot lesser with the new super license regulations.

Anyway any sightings of their new car colours?

CBeck113

Their biggest concern should be to get back on terms with Bernie ( = prove that they're serious about being there, maybe by getting the 2015 car running) to get them some screen time, which in turn gives them the chance to attract sponsors. Then they need a "marketing plan" to attract more attention to themselves [I have a few but won't talk about it without noting that I have a consulting fee :-D].

Forget the colors, bring the car!!!!!
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:

I think they should be. 2-3 seconds off the pace is one of the reasons they went bankrupt. Next year what they can charge pay drivers also will be an issue for manor as the number of drivers is going to be lot lesser with the new super license regulations.

Anyway any sightings of their new car colours?
They went bankrupt because their mysterious Russian (state) backers pulled funding the second the Russian GP had happened.

They already have 1 driver sorted for next year in Jordan King and realistically Stevens will be the other.