Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jonnycraig

Re: Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

Jonnycraig wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:So who is going to be driving at Monaco?

Are there any interested drivers?
It's highly unlikely an experienced driver is going to want to step in at short notice even at Monaco, so with an eye on the fact that GP2 & WsR are there as well, you have Cecotto & Rossi with a superlicence, Marciello & Vandoorne who could probably get one. Realistically it will probably be Merhi for the foreseeable future. Personally I find it hard to believe anyone with F1 experience will be looking to step in until they manage to get a 2015 car out, if they even can do this year.

That is unless RB, Merc, Ferrari, McLaren want to put a youngster in, but it seems unlikely.
Merhi confirmed for Monaco.

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:So who is going to be driving at Monaco?

Are there any interested drivers?
It's highly unlikely an experienced driver is going to want to step in at short notice even at Monaco, so with an eye on the fact that GP2 & WsR are there as well, you have Cecotto & Rossi with a superlicence, Marciello & Vandoorne who could probably get one. Realistically it will probably be Merhi for the foreseeable future. Personally I find it hard to believe anyone with F1 experience will be looking to step in until they manage to get a 2015 car out, if they even can do this year.

That is unless RB, Merc, Ferrari, McLaren want to put a youngster in, but it seems unlikely.
Merhi confirmed for Monaco.

Guess no one else was interested then

Is it allowable for him to do both WSR and F1? I remember reading somewhere that it is not possible

Cuky

Jonnycraig wrote:
turbof1 wrote: -They no have simulator, and very limited means otherwise to change the setup.
Stevens is managing to fund external simulator time for himself so I'm sure they could have access to one if needed.

True, but he uses some other car to learn the track, not the replica of current Manor Marussia car. Other teams have their own simulators in which they simulate exact car they have on track based on data measured on track and correctly simulate the track based on data from when they were last there. They are also able to simulate new parts that they plan to bring to the track based on data from CFD and wind tunnel

BanMeToo

Exactly and that type of thing will give you a good start on car setup before you even hit the track

dodds_turbo

New from MANOR F1 Facebok page:

BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE
Manor Marussia F1 Team boosts technical and engineering capability with key appointments

Silverstone, UK
Monday 1 June 2015

As part of its long term strategy, the Manor Marussia F1 Team is pleased to announce new appointments to its technical and engineering teams.

Under the technical leadership of John McQuilliam, Technical Director, the team welcomes Luca Furbatto in the role of Head of Design. Luca previously held the position of Chief Designer with Scuderia Toro Rosso, prior to which he spent nearly a decade with McLaren Racing.

The team also welcomes Gianluca Pisanello in the role of Chief Engineer. Most recently, Gianluca held the role of Head of Engineering Operations with Caterham F1 Team. Before this, he worked in various engineering positions with Caterham and Toyota Motorsport GmbH. Gianluca will lead a young and highly ambitious group of race, performance and strategy engineers supporting Manor’s race drivers.

The team is also delighted to announce that assisting the team for the 2015 season is Bob Bell, the former technical director of the Mercedes F1 and team principal of Renault F1 teams, whose career has spanned roles at McLaren, Benetton and Jordan and includes winning two Constructors Championships. Bob will act as a technical consultant, applying his considerable industry experience supporting and advising Manor’s senior management as they rebuild the team and formulate an ambitious long term plan.

John Booth, Team Principal, said:
“We’re delighted to welcome Bob, Luca, and Gianluca to the team. It’s been a dramatic but rewarding start to our 2015 season, and we’re only now able to settle into more of a rhythm, allowing us to look to the future. Our focus this season is to re-build the foundations of the team and develop our internal capabilities. As ever in Formula One, we rely on the experience, tenacity and drive of our colleagues, so we’re delighted to welcome our new team members. Each of them brings a huge amount of experience from within the sport, adding further dimensions to our existing technical and engineering capability. Whilst we seek to optimise our performance during the remainder of the 2015 season, we can also turn our attention to the next exciting chapter in our story - 2016 and beyond.”

Starscreamer

IN RESERVE
Manor Marussia F1 Team signs Fabio Leimer to Official Reserve Driver role
Silverstone, UK
3rd June 2015
We're pleased to announce that we have signed Fabio Leimer as an Official Reserve Driver for the remainder of the 2015 season.
26 year old Fabio, from Rothrist in Switzerland, is the 2013 GP2 Series champion and winner of the 2011 GP2 Final. He is also a former Formula Master series champion, prior to which he competed in Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula BMW ADAC.
Fabio will join the team at selected races, working closely with the drivers and engineers to aid the team’s development programme and on standby to deputise for a race driver in the event that they are unable to take part in race weekend activities.
To prepare him for the role, the team will be providing Fabio with the opportunity to drive the MR03B in selected Free Practice 1 sessions of the FIA Formula One World Championship.
John Booth, Team Principal, said:
“We’re delighted to welcome Fabio to our team. We always keep a close eye on drivers competing in the feeder series and their potential for making the step up to Formula 1. Fabio has been on that radar for a number of years, so we’re pleased to give him the opportunity to progress as he is a very talented driver and certainly deserving of this opportunity. Fabio will be joining us at selected races for the rest of the season, contributing to engineering meetings and on hand to substitute for either race driver should they be unable to compete at any stage. Familiarity with the car is therefore important, so we plan to run Fabio in a number of opening free practice sessions this season, allowing us to further evaluate his potential.”
Fabio Leimer commented:
“I’m thrilled to be provided with this opportunity and I’d like to thank the Manor Marussia F1 Team for the faith they have shown in my ability. In particular I’m very excited to have the chance to drive the car in selected FP1s, but I am also looking forward to spending a lot of time trackside with the team, contributing my observations and experience in engineering situations and also learning about the team and a Formula 1 operation. It’s a huge step for me and I can’t wait to get started and hopefully reward the team’s confidence in me.”

Official from Manor Facebook site
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Cuky

Manor got a sponsor logo on the car for the remainder of the season
MANOR MARUSSIA F1 TEAM PARTNERS WITH AIRBNB
Helping race fans around the globe feel at home anywhere

Manor Marussia F1 Team and Airbnb announce Challenger Partnership for the remainder of the 2015 season

CIRCUIT GILLES VILLENEUVE, MONTRÉAL - June 4, 2015 - The Manor Marussia F1 Team today announced a new partnership with Airbnb, the world’s leading community driven hospitality company, ahead of this weekend’s Grand Prix du Canada for the remainder of the 2015 season. As the Challenger Partner, Airbnb branding will be proudly displayed on the team’s MR03B Formula 1 cars starting at the Grand Prix du Canada, and on the drivers’ race suits and across other team media, highlighting the commitment to making race fans feel at home as they travel all over the world from race to race.

“The Manor Marussia F1 Team is effectively a start-up. Of course, Formula 1 is an unusual start-up environment to operate in, but our challenges are the same as many other early stage technology companies. Airbnb is a phenomenal success story of a company that has completely reinvented an industry,” said Stephen Fitzpatrick, Team Owner. “We are delighted to announce this partnership with the world’s leading community driven hospitality company. We are two likeminded brands who are committed to innovation and discovery and have ambitions to positively and proactively impact our respective industries.”

"We’re thrilled to be partnering with the Manor Marussia F1 Team and we’ll be cheering them on as they compete in F1 races across six continents,” said Jonathan Mildenhall, Airbnb’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Just as we’re excited to have the team be part of our community, we know our hosts will look forward to welcoming race fans from all over the world into their homes."

The partnership will kick off in Montréal for the Grand Prix du Canada and the city has grown into Airbnb’s largest destination in Canada, due in large part to the hospitality of local Montréal residents. Montréal Airbnb hosts have welcomed race fans from around the globe into their homes annually during the Grand Prix du Canada festivities, making it one of the busiest weeks of the year for the Montréal Airbnb Host community, and hosts around the world will continue to welcome fans during the 2015 season.

Airbnb has a long history of supporting big international events such as F1 races around the globe. It was a major design conference in San Francisco in 2007 that inspired Airbnb's founders to open their own home to travellers, planting the seeds that would eventually grow to become Airbnb. The global exposure that the Manor Marussia F1 Team provides to motorsport fans will generate increased awareness of travel accommodations available through Airbnb, particularly among F1 fans who routinely travel abroad to attend races.

Official statement and photos are from Manor F1 Team's Facebook page

PlatinumZealot

Air bnb is essentially the title sponsor by the looks of things.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Writinglife

Glad to see that someone is willing to take a chance with Manor, I really hope that a few more companies hop on board, but I also hope that they can get a little more TV exposure to justify it.

Andres125sx

Bob Bell and Honda PUs for next season, looks like Manor could be a completely different team next season

http://www.marca.com/2015/06/06/motor/f ... 75729.html

drunkf1fan

Would be big news but not surprising in reality. Manor clearly burned their bridges a little, Ferrari obviously happy to sell them engines for cash up front but not willing to do them any favours considering they didn't pay in full(afaik) for last years engines.

Honda/Mclaren on the other hand are now completely desperate to get their engines into a second team to help get more running and help with development. Though Manor(well Marussia) I believe owed them money it was much less and Mclaren/Honda's need for their engine in a second team far outweighs any issues there might be there. Manor would likely have a pretty strong negotiating position. Free or significantly discounted engines + slots of Mclaren drivers could see Manor free up a huge portion of it's budget away from engines/wages towards actually making a decent car.

Then in the slightly longer term future(too soon for 2017 I would think) a chance to become the first choice to use a customer car.

Of course the current downside to such a deal would be actually having to use a Honda engine, I think until at least part way into next year if not beyond it will be a downgrade on the Ferrari engines but Honda will move forward and if they can put 10-20mil saved on engines towards making a less awful car they'd still be more competitive.

adrianjordan

drunkf1fan wrote:Would be big news but not surprising in reality. Manor clearly burned their bridges a little, Ferrari obviously happy to sell them engines for cash up front but not willing to do them any favours considering they didn't pay in full(afaik) for last years engines.

Honda/Mclaren on the other hand are now completely desperate to get their engines into a second team to help get more running and help with development. Though Manor(well Marussia) I believe owed them money it was much less and Mclaren/Honda's need for their engine in a second team far outweighs any issues there might be there. Manor would likely have a pretty strong negotiating position. Free or significantly discounted engines + slots of Mclaren drivers could see Manor free up a huge portion of it's budget away from engines/wages towards actually making a decent car.

Then in the slightly longer term future(too soon for 2017 I would think) a chance to become the first choice to use a customer car.

Of course the current downside to such a deal would be actually having to use a Honda engine, I think until at least part way into next year if not beyond it will be a downgrade on the Ferrari engines but Honda will move forward and if they can put 10-20mil saved on engines towards making a less awful car they'd still be more competitive.
Plus, no disrespect to Manor's current drivers, if McLaren drop one of their development drivers into the team then they might get improved results from a higher-class of driver.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Andres125sx

adrianjordan wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote:Would be big news but not surprising in reality. Manor clearly burned their bridges a little, Ferrari obviously happy to sell them engines for cash up front but not willing to do them any favours considering they didn't pay in full(afaik) for last years engines.

Plus, no disrespect to Manor's current drivers, if McLaren drop one of their development drivers into the team then they might get improved results from a higher-class of driver.
Agree with Stevens, but Merhi has usually been considered a more talented driver than Carlos Sainz jr. (they´ve competed many times on same series), and you see how much deserved praising Sainz is receiving, so IMO Merhi deserve not only a seat on Manor, but probably a better car.

He´s had a lot of problems on Manor, they say his PU had been underperforming compared to his team mate, and he also was more than 10kg heavier than Stevens. He still is heavier, but he´s slim down and now the difference is smaller, plus they´ve solved his PU problems, and the result has been obvious, on Monaco he was not that far from lapping stevens...

But a car with Ferrari PU from 2014, and a 2014 car adapted to 2015 regulations so it´s much heavier than it should.... Hamilton or Alonso wouldn´t do it much better

matt21

Manor is about to delay the new car to 2016 according to German media.
Maybe they want Bob Bell to give more input and get all resources they have to work with him instead on a 2015 car

emaren

Manor are rapidly becoming the Minardi for a new generation.

Its awesome !