2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2016 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Considering that this is the team thread my post will be a little off topic as the last few previous posts have been (mods feel free to move this if you so desire).

People seem to be taking this 223 number quite literally. The original article seems to have got mistranslated and quoted multiple times by other F1 news houses. As such pieces of information in the original article got lost.

If I remember correctly the original article said that "at times" there will be an increase of 223 hp. It would seem that the way it was stated is while not untrue, very misleading.

What I believe the author meant was that we go from a worst case scenario for the 2015 PU (a part of the lap where the MGU-K was not receiving any power) to a best case scenario for the 2016 PU (where Honda have hopefully fixed any MGU-H problems and have an almost constant supply of electricity to the MGU-K when desired).

Let's break down the 223 hp. Firstly it appears (to me at least) that the author is talking about metric hp (generally referred to as PS). 163 PS is just about 120 kW. I.e. The power of the MGU-K at full power (minus any efficiency bonuses discussed by TC previously) vs a point on the track where the 2015 PU maybe have run out of energy for the MGU-K.

That leaves us with a 70 PS bonus which it appears that the author believes that Honda has found for its 2016 ICE (70 PS is just about 69 hp).

Frankly I'm not even sure if to believe that Honda have found 70 PS over the winter just from the ICE, it's quite a lot.

I hope this wasn't to drawn out and confusing.

FW17

Why so hard to believe

Ferrari were more than 80 hp behind merc in 2014, over the winter found majority of it.

GoranF1
GoranF1

FW17 wrote:Why so hard to believe

Ferrari were more than 80 hp behind merc in 2014, over the winter found majority of it.
In my opinion, if Honda didnt find that number or more, their statement would be alot different than it was...it would be a proper deny.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mclaren111

Would be really nice if SAP, ESSO, MOBIL and PIRELLI signs can be in the colours as on Vandoorne's overalls.

Anyone have contact with Mclaren that can tell them this ???

Hail22

Hmmm:

http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/01/31/hond ... liability/

Meanwhile at Eric Boulliers residence:

I hope to goodness Mclaren improves...for the sake of the Formula 1 children...will somebody think of the children?! [-o<
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

PhillipM
PhillipM

trinidefender wrote: That leaves us with a 70 PS bonus which it appears that the author believes that Honda has found for its 2016 ICE (70 PS is just about 69 hp).

Frankly I'm not even sure if to believe that Honda have found 70 PS over the winter just from the ICE, it's quite a lot.
Or that where other cars were still deploying their 160bhp of ERS, Honda had run out and were back to having to harvest early due to not being able to recover as quickly as originally planned to take more energy from the braking zone, and that harvesting cost the bulk of that 70hp. Or perhaps pulling 40-50hp and they've found 30.... :wink:

proteus

There is one thing that makes me a bit confident that this seasons engine will not be as fragile and underpowered as last year was (i may be terrible wrong though :)) and that is that this year predictions are not bald, not overpowering and they are not predicting repetition of glory seasons in the 80s/90s. But in the other hand, they might be quiet because the rumours of new problems are true...well we will see in 22 Feb.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

Honda were't just left without electric power, the resulting lack was actually hurting engine power, and causing excessive fuel consumption, and too much heat forcing them to dial back the engine further. On the plus side, they made HUGE strides with their control electronics because of their bad ERS, and also improved the ICE a lot in terms of power and reliability. I think that we'll see two Honda's this season, with them being a second off the pace at the start of the season battling in the upper midfield, and then making a big step forward around the European GP where they'll get the chance to score regular podiums.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

I totally agree with you godlameroso :D

The start will not be fireworks and we must not expect too much like last year. Solid top 10's

Towards the middle of the season Honda will improve enough and podiums will be possible [-o< [-o< [-o<

OneAlex

In other words, the engine will improve just in time for the British media to start the now traditional furore over Jenson's contract expiration and the young up-and-comer Ron wants to replace him with.

I think we're going to have an interesting British GP especially when it comes to what upgrades McLaren will try to bring to the car, where Alonso and Jenson can slot it, and what rumours will start pumping out from behind closed doors.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

can we please have a 1-2 for Button & Alonso [in that order] in Australia for Mclaren-Honda? pole for Alonso, the win for Button? next race vise versa?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

stefan_
stefan_

Manoah2u wrote:can we please have a 1-2 for Button & Alonso [in that order] in Australia for Mclaren-Honda? pole for Alonso, the win for Button? next race vise versa?
We can have that all season, I'll be glad. But at one point we must wake up and go to work.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

stefan_ wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:can we please have a 1-2 for Button & Alonso [in that order] in Australia for Mclaren-Honda? pole for Alonso, the win for Button? next race vise versa?
We can have that all season, I'll be glad. But at one point we must wake up and go to work.
Can we dream about it at work :lol: ?

I'd be cheering already if they were able to make it to the final part of qualifying. That would be a big leap compared to last year.
#AeroFrodo

ScottB
ScottB

OneAlex wrote:In other words, the engine will improve just in time for the British media to start the now traditional furore over Jenson's contract expiration and the young up-and-comer Ron wants to replace him with.

I think we're going to have an interesting British GP especially when it comes to what upgrades McLaren will try to bring to the car, where Alonso and Jenson can slot it, and what rumours will start pumping out from behind closed doors.
I'd be amazed if Vandorne isn't in one of the 2017 cars, most likely Jenson's, as the only way Alonso wouldn't be is if this year is another write off, and if it is, I can't see why Button would stay either...

oetger

Orange / Black Mclaren 2016 ? Or is this an photoshop from a fan ?