2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

i have respect for button , for overtaking alonso and have better race pace and also in canada, he was saving fuel behind alonso and could have easily socrred some point in canada, if not for that gearbox failure. button race pace is awesome, i wish mclaren sign him for next season.

McG

I wouldn't be surprised if Button's driving style is better suited to the Honda engine's relatively less than perfect drivability.
techman wrote:i have respect for button , for overtaking alonso and have better race pace and also in canada, he was saving fuel behind alonso and could have easily socrred some point in canada, if not for that gearbox failure. button race pace is awesome, i wish mclaren sign him for next season.
F1 is dead.

maguetox

Not a bad race as a lot people predict. I think is pretty obvious that both partners needs to up their game. Is more than evident that Honda reliability improve a lot this season after the last two power tracks without any mayor reliability incidents.

techman

the pace was there , we saw it in practice, but qual , mclaren screwed up by sending them late, with traffic and flat tyres jenson could not get in Q3. shame if he was in the top 10 , points was on the cards today. race pace was the best all season without getting lapped

BeardedAce

McG wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Button's driving style is better suited to the Honda engine's relatively less than perfect drivability.
techman wrote:i have respect for button , for overtaking alonso and have better race pace and also in canada, he was saving fuel behind alonso and could have easily socrred some point in canada, if not for that gearbox failure. button race pace is awesome, i wish mclaren sign him for next season.
PU drivability is fine, the chassis has issues with car handling.

Sayeman

Redbull boys not blaming the PU for high tire degradation unlike a certain team.
http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula ... 7133-27133
Never Give up.

CjC
CjC

McLaren drivers are blaming Honda for high deg?
Just a fan's point of view

GoranF1

Bad engine,bad chassis.....2017 focus switch ASAP.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

tonmeister

Errr, if I´m not mistaken, Alonso was having gearbox problems when passed by Button. Just to set the record straight...

diffuser

DiogoBrand wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Facts?

So you know McLaren didn´t do any compromise chasis wise to compensate a weak PU, what means their chasis without compromises is not working as it should, ergo it´s bad, right? What´s your source?

I find amazing how people feel the need to bash someone, if it´s a weak PU let´s bash Honda because they couldn´t ignore the token system and solve their problems, if not then let´s bash McLaren because their chasis isn´t compensating the weak PU so they´re not as good as they say...

I understand we all want to know what´s the weak, or weakest point, but we can´t know because we don´t have enough data.

Even topspeeds are useless, how do you know they are not using all available energy for the straight so top speed is not too bad, but then they´re lacking power the remaining 4km of the track?

Another intersting thing is how people think in Monaco the PU is irrelevant, like if 100hp down would not cause any deficit. In Monaco the PU is not the most important part of the car, but it still is important. Maybe it was irrelevant when difference between best and weakest engine was 30-40hp and behaviour/reactions were similar, but not now when difference is much higher than that and there´s an ERS. Even in Monaco the PU makes a difference. As an example, traction is irrelevant in Monaco? The PU play a huge role traction wise obviously, so you simply cannot ignore PU differences and state the chasis is not as good as they said.

Basically people usually try to oversimplify things, but this is F1, things are always too complicated
Well, if you really think that McLaren has the 3rd best chassis on the grid, and the only thing keeping it from performing better is the PU, then I say we agree to disagree. Because that's exactly what I meant with my post.

I think it's hard to say how good (or bad) the chassis is cause the PU is underpowered. if and when they get more power they'll setup the car differently and they'll run into new issues.

Jef Patat

CjC wrote:McLaren drivers are blaming Honda for high deg?
Where did you get that?

ripper

Re: RE: Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

techman wrote:the pace was there , we saw it in practice, but qual , mclaren screwed up by sending them late, with traffic and flat tyres jenson could not get in Q3. shame if he was in the top 10 , points was on the cards today. race pace was the best all season without getting lapped
I disagree, it isn't the first time that on FP MCL looks better than competition, but on Saturday and Sunday they lose ground. It is possible that other cars push less and/or run more detuned, or with different fuel onboard

CjC
CjC

Jef Patat wrote:
CjC wrote:McLaren drivers are blaming Honda for high deg?
Where did you get that?
Sayeman. They said 'a certain team'. I was just questioning which team that's all
?
Just a fan's point of view

Sayeman

Looks like Low downforce do destroy tires. Eh, guess i was too quick to post.

"Low downforce caused Red Bull F1 tyre woe in European GP"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... l-tyre-woe

Maybe the gain from the New Renault PU is not as much as they were touting.
Never Give up.

techman

I disagree, it isn't the first time that on FP MCL looks better than competition, but on Saturday and Sunday they lose ground. It is possible that other cars push less and/or run more detuned, or with different fuel onboard
i think if mclaren can give their drivers more time on track to get in Q2 or Q3 it will easier, even alonso questioned mclaren tactics by sending them late, better position will help them get better result. more time on track better to get to the grove of thinig when it matter in qual