2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Paul

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

i don't think we can expect anything big chassis-wise. Everyone should be now working flat out on the 2017 car.

Thunder

Well McLaren has parts already done for when Honda turns up the Power, so i wouldn't be too sure about that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1458713806

Also they said they will keep developing, but everything with 2017 in Mind.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

noname

Thunders wrote:Well McLaren has parts already done for when Honda turns up the Power, so i wouldn't be too sure about that. (...)
In this interview I do not see Boullier using word "parts". "Having developments" could mean as well they have some ideas/concepts they expect to work if/when Honda will come up with more performance. He is quite clear they know they will not work at the time being, so I guess they are are not developed to the point MCL could bolt them on the car.

After all that's executive's speach, even if that was the case he is not gonna say "we have no f...ing clue what to do". Neither I do not expect him to say anything wrong about Honda and Hasegawa.

Jef Patat

If they know the 'developments' introduce drag they probably at least have done some CFD on them.

Thunder

Well maybe they are not physically sitting in the shelf waiting to be mounted on the Car but the development is done.

Meaning as soon as Honda brings a PU Development McLaren can immediately react on the Chassis side.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

GoranF1 wrote:Nice interview whit greatest driver that lives today.....

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/765847464838623236
I´ve just read an article/interview with Alonso on Marca where he says his future in F1 will depend on 2017 cars, but not on McHonda perfomance, but on the rules itself.

Alonso explains if new rules make cars more entertaining he will continue beyond 2017, but if they´re same as today (save fuel, save tires, can´t go to the limit...) it doesn´t matter if he wins 2017 title, he will retire.

I had never read anything similar from him, this is first time he specifically put a date to his retirement, even if it´s conditioned to the new rules

This more or less confirm my feeling that current rules make driver role as irrelevant as it has ever been. Hopefully 2017 cars provide a bit more importance to drivers so we, and Alonso, can enjoy F1 again

Sorry it´s spanish
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b456e.html

hollus

... I had never read anything similar from him, this is first time he specifically put a date to his retirement. ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 077692.stm
Then Alonso was 1 point away from retirement in 2007.
I wonder why F1 drivers are always talking of retiring. It is always 1-2 titles away, in 3 years, this is my last team... but they rarely retire and if they do, often come back. You really do not see that to the same level in any other sports.
Rivals, not enemies.

diffuser

I attribute that to nothing else to talk about. Meaningless conversation. I ignore it.

Andres125sx

hollus wrote:... I had never read anything similar from him, this is first time he specifically put a date to his retirement. ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 077692.stm
Then Alonso was 1 point away from retirement in 2007.
I wonder why F1 drivers are always talking of retiring. It is always 1-2 titles away, in 3 years, this is my last team... but they rarely retire and if they do, often come back. You really do not see that to the same level in any other sports.
I read both statements very differently. The link you posted show a conditional, "I would be happy to retire IF I win a third title". To me that´s very different to say "If new rules don´t change cars enough I will retire"

What he said in 2007 show a condition wich must be acomplished to even consider retirement, while what he said this week show a certainty, he will retire if cars don´t change. One is showing a hipotetical future where he could retire if one condition is acomplished, wich is nothing but words in the air, while the other is showing a certain decision wich will occur if there isn´t a change in the sport

Very very different in my eyes

Andres125sx

hollus wrote:I wonder why F1 drivers are always talking of retiring.
Ask Johnny Herbert :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GoranF1

Andres125sx wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Nice interview whit greatest driver that lives today.....

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/765847464838623236
I´ve just read an article/interview with Alonso on Marca where he says his future in F1 will depend on 2017 cars, but not on McHonda perfomance, but on the rules itself.

Alonso explains if new rules make cars more entertaining he will continue beyond 2017, but if they´re same as today (save fuel, save tires, can´t go to the limit...) it doesn´t matter if he wins 2017 title, he will retire.

I had never read anything similar from him, this is first time he specifically put a date to his retirement, even if it´s conditioned to the new rules

This more or less confirm my feeling that current rules make driver role as irrelevant as it has ever been. Hopefully 2017 cars provide a bit more importance to drivers so we, and Alonso, can enjoy F1 again

Sorry it´s spanish
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b456e.html
I love Alonso...but that is bull crap.....if he has a competitive car that fights for wins and chamoionship he will drive for many years to come despite how new cars end up to be.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Andres125sx

I´m glad to see you guys disagree with me, hopefully you´re right. But as an Alonso supporter since 2001 I have to disagree with you when you say all drivers love to talk about his retirement. Alonso has never been one of those, or at least I had never read Alonso talking about his retirement with this certainty

Add to that for that date he´ll be 36 years old, and I´m afraid this is far from PR BS

fellowhoodlums

only drivers talking of retirement are Massa and Button. All of that is contract related.

mclaren111

With Ferrari opting to make an early decision to retain Kimi Raikkonen for next year, citing the need for stability while it tries to deliver a winning car, when asked by F1i why McLaren was yet to make a decision, Boullier replied: “It’s very simple.

“Driver discussions are always very emotional with the fans, with the sponsors and even internally. So we had six races in eight weeks, we had a difficult summer, so why start the headache of having these discussions in the middle of this, you know?

“So we decided let's get through the shutdown, everybody’s rested, we’ll come back from the shutdown and then we’ll sit down and start to discuss what we want to do.”
First sensible thing Eric has said this whole year. Keep it up =D>

Schuttelberg

Andres125sx wrote:I´m glad to see you guys disagree with me, hopefully you´re right. But as an Alonso supporter since 2001 I have to disagree with you when you say all drivers love to talk about his retirement. Alonso has never been one of those, or at least I had never read Alonso talking about his retirement with this certainty

Add to that for that date he´ll be 36 years old, and I´m afraid this is far from PR BS
If you've been a fan of Alonso since 2001, you should also know that his words are to be taken with a pinch of salt. He's made numerous U-Turns in his career and from what I can see, his hunger is raging more than ever to win again. If he has a sniff of a championship in 2018, I think he will commit long term. The man has had some serious crashes in the past couple of years and if the situations of Bianchi and Schumacher have not shaken his will, I doubt anything will. Like mentioned before, if the McLaren shows promise to be at the sharp end, Alonso isn't going anywhere.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"