2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

godlameroso wrote:Title sponsor? iMclaren hah! I don't think they'd buy them, title sponsor/technical partner maybe sounds more likely.
There's no value for Apple in being a title sponsor. There's no lack of awareness about Apple products or need for them to be associated with cutting edge technology.

Apple want a technology partnership with a car company in order to move into that field but, since it seems the big car companies aren't willing to strike a deal to Apple's liking (for whatever reason), they probably think it's worth their while to buy am automotive technology company that they think is reasonably priced. If and when that happens, it would have a brand value to their car business to *own/run* an F1 since it speaks to the high tech nature of their car product.

Or at least that's how I see it.

bauc

Mclaren spokesman denied the rumors:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... with-apple

Thank God!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Andres125sx

nevill3 wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:How I just love that 'they will blame Honda again' nonsense #-o

Not a single word about Honda/engine, only grip and tires:

Alonso: Lack of grip restricting McLaren
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3444 ... g-mclaren/
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2016/si ... -practice/

Obviously the unexpected power increase from the Honda engine is causing the tyres to spin up, see it is Honda's fault #-o
Received a negative downvote for ranting when I was trying to be humorous, I guess it is hard to interpret the thought process behind someone's post, but a humorous smilie at the end should have given a clue, sorry if I offended anyone :oops:
That downvote is mine, but it was not because of I felt offended, but because I was thinking you were ´serious´. To me the "d´oh" smilie is not a humorous smilie, and in that context I thought your post was a reply to Jef trying to imply he was wrong. But if that was your intention ok, now I see it differently. Downvote removed.

edit: now I´m not sure, probably some moderator removed my downvote, because now I´m allowed to rate your post again, when I shouldn´t since I already did it.... :?:
Last edited by Andres125sx on 22 Sep 2016, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Sony has been mentioned a year ago or more, I could see that still happening way before Apple.

Brand image simply doesnt fit in F1 either. As a replacement for Rolex or what was that brand about the timing and so? perhaps.
Heineken-like sponsorship in F1? yes. title sponsor? nah.

potentially having a apple logo on a Mclaren like Lotus/Renault had with Microsoft? sure why not.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Paul wrote:STR will return to Renaults.
Thanks, didn´t know, but it´s a logic decision, with the fast developing rate of this PUs using an old unit with no development is a suicide

Anycase next season McHonda should be far away from STR, even with Renault PUs
They should but I have my doubts. Anyway both team should be stronger next year.
I don´t. If they improved this season so much with tokens restriction, next season should see at least a similar step forward. Add to that it will be third season of a new project/concept, and add to that there´s a huge rule change wich, IMO, should benefit McHonda as they´re the only top team NOT fighting for anything this and past season, so they should be the top team who switched to 2017 cars sooner.

We´ve seen with Mercedes what are the advantages of switching to a new project sooner than your competitors. I don´t expect that sort of perfomance, but the step forward IMHO should be huge, and if it´s not I will be strongly dissapointed

GPR-A duplicate2

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Thanks, didn´t know, but it´s a logic decision, with the fast developing rate of this PUs using an old unit with no development is a suicide

They should but I have my doubts. Anyway both team should be stronger next year.
I don´t. If they improved this season so much with tokens restriction, next season should see at least a similar step forward.
Honda has a separate team working for 2017 PU. Clearly, lessons are learnt from the massive under estimation they had done in 2013-14. They are now putting in a lot of investment to overturn that mistake. Token free system should definitely help in looking at a variety of different solutions, but still be restricted by number of PU per season. A Third year in the running, should be an awful lot of time to figure things out on Hybrid systems. Their progress has been quite significant this year, showing they are on an upward trend. If McLaren can nail the new regulations with their chassis which they lobbied hard to get in place, who knows, McLaren-Honda could be a significant player for 2017. Fingers crossed.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Thanks, didn´t know, but it´s a logic decision, with the fast developing rate of this PUs using an old unit with no development is a suicide

I don´t. If they improved this season so much with tokens restriction, next season should see at least a similar step forward. Add to that it will be third season of a new project/concept, and add to that there´s a huge rule change wich, IMO, should benefit McHonda as they´re the only top team NOT fighting for anything this and past season, so they should be the top team who switched to 2017 cars sooner.

We´ve seen with Mercedes what are the advantages of switching to a new project sooner than your competitors. I don´t expect that sort of perfomance, but the step forward IMHO should be huge, and if it´s not I will be strongly dissapointed
Yes it should be, I agree with you but I have my doubts. They still have different ideas of how to evolve the PU for the next season(they have said it several times) when in my opinion they should have a clear idea of which sort of PU they want. Mercedes worked much more time with a very clear idea, I doubt Honda is doing the same.

The end of the restriction and the second year for Podromou designing the car from 0 should help to fight for victories but I am still slightly doubtful.

TR has a quite good chasis and if they keep the same staff they will have a very competitive one. Moreover, they will have a really improved Renault PU so I think they can be the surprise next season, at least during the first 2-3 months.

Sayeman

Andres125sx wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
nevill3 wrote:

Obviously the unexpected power increase from the Honda engine is causing the tyres to spin up, see it is Honda's fault #-o
Received a negative downvote for ranting when I was trying to be humorous, I guess it is hard to interpret the thought process behind someone's post, but a humorous smilie at the end should have given a clue, sorry if I offended anyone :oops:
That downvote is mine, but it was not because of I felt offended, but because I was thinking you were ´serious´. To me the "d´oh" smilie is not a humorous smilie, and in that context I thought your post was a reply to Jef trying to imply he was wrong. But if that was your intention ok, now I see it differently. Downvote removed.

edit: now I´m not sure, probably some moderator removed my downvote, because now I´m allowed to rate your post again, when I shouldn´t since I already did it.... :?:
I don't understand why you feel the need to downvote posts that you don't like? You could simply ignore the posts that don't agree with you and move on?
I don't see anyone else downvoting posts other than you and i have been here for some time.
Seems like you are abusing your downvoting privilege to be honest.
Never Give up.

Andres125sx

Sayeman wrote:I don't understand why you feel the need to downvote posts that you don't like?
I´ve never downvoted a post because I don´t like it. I downvote a post when it´s a nosense rant, when it´s so innacurate it may be considered false, or when it´s fan frenzy
Sayeman wrote:I don't see anyone else downvoting posts other than you and i have been here for some time.
Seems like you are abusing your downvoting privilege to be honest.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry but that´s what I´ve done after reading this, LOL.

My downvoting privilege is I can downvote 2 posts each day. My average must be around 1 downvote per month when I enter F1T daily. How is that abusing?

Check your facts before accusing anyone please :wink:

edit: You probably are confused because when I downvote someone and that person ask about who downvoted him, I´ve never had any problem saying it was me, contrary to what most people usually do wich is keep anonymity. That probably is causing you to think most downvotes are mine, but that´s quite far from reality

Mansell89

I've always wondered why Samsung haven't been in for McLaren. They have the Honda Asian connection, they can use McLaren to rival Apples car projects and really fly the flag for Asian technology?

Who knows. Can see why Apple would be interested in an F1 technology link up for sure.

McL-H

Mansell89 wrote:I've always wondered why Samsung haven't been in for McLaren. They have the Honda Asian connection, they can use McLaren to rival Apples car projects and really fly the flag for Asian technology?

Who knows. Can see why Apple would be interested in an F1 technology link up for sure.
A Korean company co-operating with a Japanese company? Forget it. That doesn't fit at all. In general, Koreans hate Japanese.

Pierce89

McL-H wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:I've always wondered why Samsung haven't been in for McLaren. They have the Honda Asian connection, they can use McLaren to rival Apples car projects and really fly the flag for Asian technology?

A Korean company co-operating with a Japanese company? Forget it. That doesn't fit at all. In general, Koreans hate Japanese.
Really? Sorry to go off topic but why?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cannonballer

Pierce89 wrote:
McL-H wrote:

Where to start? Japanese Imperialism in Korea in the 20th century had many ugly and barbaric aspects ("comfort women" during WW II) that was endured by some older Koreans still living today, and is fresh in the living memory of younger ones. Not to mention that Japan has refused to apologize for or even acknowledge what happened, often denying it altogether, until very recently. Even then Japan minimized and (therefore) did not really apologize for it.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Vasconia

Cannonballer wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
McL-H wrote:
Where to start? Japanese Imperialism in Korea in the 20th century had many ugly and barbaric aspects ("comfort women" during WW II) that was endured by some older Koreans still living today, and is fresh in the living memory of younger ones. Not to mention that Japan has refused to apologize for or even acknowledge what happened, often denying it altogether, until very recently. Even then Japan minimized and (therefore) did not really apologize for it.
This applies too for China. What Japan did under those years requires much more than a simply apologize. And as you said it has been like a "down tuned" apologize.

loner

Re: Honda Power Unit

i don't understand the upgraded PU will race Sunday or not guys ?
para bellum.