2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Facts Only

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

kasio wrote:
Thunders wrote:So in your World all the Designers and Engineers that Construct and Build Championship winnig Cars work for Free? Seems like a nice Place.
in my world you fix what is broken. i am suggesting that these sluggish results of last few years are not because we lost or did not have title sponsor. its because we did not build good car and engine. That is what we need to fix.
Who's this 'we' you refer to? Is that you Ron?

A title sponsor is needed, you need a sponsor who is invested in the name of the team to provide the money and backing to win. Small "bargeboard" sponsors will just go to whichever team has the best catering and free bar at the races.

There was a good quote a few years ago in an article about BMW's works team failure: Money isnt a guarantee of success but it is a pre-requisite.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

proteus

Facts Only wrote:
kasio wrote:
Thunders wrote:So in your World all the Designers and Engineers that Construct and Build Championship winnig Cars work for Free? Seems like a nice Place.
in my world you fix what is broken. i am suggesting that these sluggish results of last few years are not because we lost or did not have title sponsor. its because we did not build good car and engine. That is what we need to fix.

A title sponsor is needed, you need a sponsor who is invested in the name of the team to provide the money and backing to win. Small "bargeboard" sponsors will just go to whichever team has the best catering and free bar at the races.

There was a good quote a few years ago in an article about BMW's works team failure: Money isnt a guarantee of success but it is a pre-requisite.
Well i am still confused how can u all play the same tune about the lack of money, but yet the Mclaren had one of the biggest budgets in the caravan. The problem is the sport itself. If the rules and regulations would allow for teams to make ground and engine manufacturers actually to improve engines as they like, than we would see a different story. Redbull is mosty self funded, so is Renault, STR as well and HAAS. We have Manor which is almost blank, and again for sale. Sauber was bought out, which means it will become self-founded by Tetrapak company, we have Force India which had many years Sahara signature over the sidepods that made no aditional money (except the 100mio start investment). The only teams with title sponsorships are Mercedes and Williams. Ferrari is in the league of its own with an if u ask me an illegal deal for years with Phillip Morris. In case of middle sized and small sponsors Mclaren is as strong as it has been in the past, and they have Honda which pumps in the resources. Right now there is no need for any title sponsor, firstly they need to make their organization to work. When they achieve that, sponsorship wont be a problem.

PS; Look at the Brawn GP in 09. Someone would expect that they would get a massive title sponsorship deal with strong fundings due to their strong start and season. Yes they got many, but yet smaller short term deals.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

SIM work for sure
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Jolle

proteus wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
kasio wrote: in my world you fix what is broken. i am suggesting that these sluggish results of last few years are not because we lost or did not have title sponsor. its because we did not build good car and engine. That is what we need to fix.

Well i am still confused how can u all play the same tune about the lack of money, but yet the Mclaren had one of the biggest budgets in the caravan. The problem is the sport itself. If the rules and regulations would allow for teams to make ground and engine manufacturers actually to improve engines as they like, than we would see a different story. Redbull is mosty self funded, so is Renault, STR as well and HAAS. We have Manor which is almost blank, and again for sale. Sauber was bought out, which means it will become self-founded by Tetrapak company, we have Force India which had many years Sahara signature over the sidepods that made no aditional money (except the 100mio start investment). The only teams with title sponsorships are Mercedes and Williams. Ferrari is in the league of its own with an if u ask me an illegal deal for years with Phillip Morris. In case of middle sized and small sponsors Mclaren is as strong as it has been in the past, and they have Honda which pumps in the resources. Right now there is no need for any title sponsor, firstly they need to make their organization to work. When they achieve that, sponsorship wont be a problem.

PS; Look at the Brawn GP in 09. Someone would expect that they would get a massive title sponsorship deal with strong fundings due to their strong start and season. Yes they got many, but yet smaller short term deals.
Well, there are different ways of looking at it. For starters, F1 has and generates a lot of money, around two billion, half of that going to the teams in different proportions. How the money is devided is partly down to the teams themselves and with the current costs of engines ready for an overhaul.

To have a living f1 it would be healthy that you could run a team within the 107% rule with just the starting fee, that way any sponsorship would mean speed, profit, points, etc etc.

F1 teams are businesses and suppose to make money. In the case of Manor, it was rescued by an investor to bank on its point and prize money won by Biancies points in Monaco 2014. With Nasr's points in Brazil that investment turned south.
For McLaren, next to Honda, it's biggest sponsor is McLaren itself, to sell more cars. I guess a main reason to have a title sponsor is not just the extra 20-40 mln a year but also a marketing partner, like Honda and repsol have in MotoGP. Imagine the value if a company like PepsiCo would sponsor McLaren and on every can or packet of crisps was a picture of a McLaren-Honda.

Ferrari - Philip Morris is a completely other story. Ferrari sold its marketing rights to PM, which gives Ferrari the continuity of a steady income. It's strange that this kind of outsourcing isn't more common in F1.

PlatinumZealot

Cold Fussion wrote:
kasio wrote:What the point of sponsorship? Its not the way to win championship! They need good car, good engine and they are far off that!
Are you actually suggesting that financial backing is not important for a race team?
It's important but it's not why mclaren aren't winning.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bauc

2 great videos from today with Zak Brown, he really looks pumped to lead the team to the winning stages again and he clearly spokes about his relationship with Ron as well.

Dipesh1995

He seems like a really good bloke, very passionate about McLaren Honda, better than I expected. Part of me misses Ron but nothing lasts for ever I suppose. I hope he takes McLaren back to the sharp end of grid where they belong.

CjC
CjC

Sounds like Zak is the man to me
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

Dipesh1995 wrote:He seems like a really good bloke, very passionate about McLaren Honda, better than I expected. Part of me misses Ron but nothing lasts for ever I suppose. I hope he takes McLaren back to the sharp end of grid where they belong.

We have to remember Ron started this "drive" to get the right man in the right job !!!

And I agree, Zak does look good and he is a "McLaren" man.

If 2017 is a great some of the credit must go to Ron !!! Lets's hope for the best !!! [-o< [-o< [-o<

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:He seems like a really good bloke, very passionate about McLaren Honda, better than I expected. Part of me misses Ron but nothing lasts for ever I suppose. I hope he takes McLaren back to the sharp end of grid where they belong.

We have to remember Ron started this "drive" to get the right man in the right job !!!

If 2017 is a great some of the credit must go to Ron !!! Lets's hope for the best !!! [-o< [-o< [-o<
Agreed 100%

mrluke

mclaren111 wrote:

If 2017 isn't great do we still blame Ron?

Jolle

mrluke wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

If 2017 isn't great do we still blame Ron?
All depends on what would or would not be great. On short term Brown only has some decent influence on the commercial side, signing a sponsor or partner. The important contracts like for the PU and drivers are still Ron's/board's choice. From now on it would be more a question will Brown take a different direction, for instance, developing an own PU (the more McLaren expans its car business the more a outsourced PU is strange) and where to invest.

nevill3

But it has been stated by Zak Brown that it was Ron who accelerated the process to employ him once Zak had made him aware that he was available. Ron obviously thought he was a great asset and so to surmise he is Rons replacement I think is wholly wrong.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Wazari

It is going to feel very strange to me for McLaren not to have Ron Dennis. To me, McLaren is Ron Dennis and Ron Dennis is McLaren. While I might not have agreed with his management style or the way he talked to his employees, I respect his accomplishments while at McLaren. He was a true "car guy". He turned wrenches on race cars and knew what the mechanics and engineers went through to make a F1 team function. It is sad to see the falling out between him and Ojjeh. I knew Ojjeh had a fondness for Whitmarsh and when Dennis replaced Whitmarsh with himself while Ojjeh temporarily had his brother take up his role as director as he was recovering from a medical procedure, well in my opinion that seemed to be the beginning of the end of their long time friendship. As a result, this ending in RD's ultimate departure. It seems surreal to me.

I do not know Zak Brown but wish him well in his new position.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro