2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Kiril Varbanov wrote:I think it's already quite clear that this is stillborn project, no matter what they say. It's time for changes, massive ones. The "incremental" approach do not work, as it seems.
Incremental changes are what Honda needs to do at this point in the season, they need a reliable power unit to gather data, they can use for development purposes. They'll either bring upgrades to the PU in Canada or before/after the summer break.

Again as somebody else said, you need to have patience in F1. If Honda can get it's PU design to work, then it will have some advantages over the other Manufacturers in terms of weight etc

I think overall McLaren and Honda have shown some good improvements over last season, but they haven't really begun to climb the mountain. On the tyre front ? Things might change on that front once the teams get to select the next batch of tyres based on what they've learned from the first races.

henry

diffuser wrote:When you're trying to choose between 2 stints or 3 stints, you're racing yourself is what I mean. Is my 2 stopper race gonna be faster than my 3 stopper?

In the first stint of either a 2 stopper or 3 stopper, everything is equal (you're trying to go faster with the same tires, etc). Plus all the cars around you are on tires with the same number of laps. The cars in front of you (for the most part) are faster than you, you have no edge. You can push harder but you're not gonna get past them easily. That's why I said "before that first stop, it's hard to be faster than yourself". So in my opinion, it's impossible to be faster than your 2 stop self in the first stint. It could happen if you have clean air but that is unlikely starting 12th.

Once you pit on that 3 stopper , hopefully you come out in clean air. You can then run full out till you catchup to the back of the pack. Which hopefully pit before you reach them, if not you should be able to get passed them easily with the fresher tires.
Thanks. I think I understand now. Essentially you are saying it's harder to achieve 3 stopper pace in the first stint than the more conservative 2 stopper. So the remaining stints will need to be that bit quicker. That is if you're mid field. Up the front it's much easier.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

diffuser

hemichromis wrote:
Thunders wrote:
hemichromis wrote: That's Renault. Haven't heard anything official about a Honda upgrade
Actually a Honda Upgrade is mentioned in this Tweet for Canada. But it's just another Rumour. Chassis Upgrade in Spain (but that's a Staple)
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1555250176
It's something from quite a reliable source.
Thanks for sharing.

Often we see new PU for Canada, so that would be a good place for an upgrade.

diffuser

henry wrote:
diffuser wrote:When you're trying to choose between 2 stints or 3 stints, you're racing yourself is what I mean. Is my 2 stopper race gonna be faster than my 3 stopper?

In the first stint of either a 2 stopper or 3 stopper, everything is equal (you're trying to go faster with the same tires, etc). Plus all the cars around you are on tires with the same number of laps. The cars in front of you (for the most part) are faster than you, you have no edge. You can push harder but you're not gonna get past them easily. That's why I said "before that first stop, it's hard to be faster than yourself". So in my opinion, it's impossible to be faster than your 2 stop self in the first stint. It could happen if you have clean air but that is unlikely starting 12th.

Once you pit on that 3 stopper , hopefully you come out in clean air. You can then run full out till you catchup to the back of the pack. Which hopefully pit before you reach them, if not you should be able to get passed them easily with the fresher tires.
Thanks. I think I understand now. Essentially you are saying it's harder to achieve 3 stopper pace in the first stint than the more conservative 2 stopper. So the remaining stints will need to be that bit quicker. That is if you're mid field. Up the front it's much easier.
Yep.

diffuser

I was looking at Alonso's lap chart....http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... i%20Bottas

Interestingly enough he appears to be running to a target of 1:44s until lap 30. There he seems to drop the hammer. For 2 laps he find a second a lap , then pits and comes out screaming finding an additional second. He maintains those 1:42 lap times till he starts to coast at the end of the race.

So where they tire saving or fuel saving till lap 30?
Looks to me like they were fuel saving .

Vasconia

diffuser wrote:I was looking at Alonso's lap chart....http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... i%20Bottas

Interestingly enough he appears to be running to a target of 1:44s until lap 30. There he seems to drop the hammer. For 2 laps he find a second a lap , then pits and comes out screaming finding an additional second. He maintains those 1:42 lap times till he starts to coast at the end of the race.

Last season when they were not breaking they engine they used to spent almost the hole race saving fuel, so its sounds quite logic to me.

Gaz.

Vasconia wrote:
diffuser wrote:I was looking at Alonso's lap chart....http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... i%20Bottas

Last season when they were not breaking they engine they used to spent almost the hole race saving fuel, so its sounds quite logic to me.
Remember there was a safety car at the last GP too. :)
Forza Jules

DiogoBrand

Sorry for the OT, but I figured you guys could give me a hand.
I remember seeing some time ago a video of drivers talking about the stupid high downforce era, up until 2004. There was a moment when Jenson said that a lot of times your qualy lap was limited not by the car, but by what your neck could handle, something like that. Can somebody point me to that video please?

KingHamilton01

So could McLaren's struggle to get in the point's be related to fuel saving......? I think overall strategy need's improving as still not using the right get compounds at the right point in the race.
McLaren Mercedes

Vasconia

KingHamilton01 wrote:So could McLaren's struggle to get in the point's be related to fuel saving......? I think overall strategy need's improving as still not using the right get compounds at the right point in the race.
Both aspects have damaged McLaren´s chances to get more points. Perhaps they could do it better in Sochi taking into account how soft with the tyres the track is.

a1b2i3r45

Vasconia wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:So could McLaren's struggle to get in the point's be related to fuel saving......? I think overall strategy need's improving as still not using the right get compounds at the right point in the race.
Both aspects have damaged McLaren´s chances to get more points. Perhaps they could do it better in Sochi taking into account how soft with the tyres the track is.
Sochi has a high fuel consumption rate of 1.9kg per lap. Track smoothness is an advantage for everybody, whereas if mclaren is struggling with fuel consumption then another lackluster gp ahead for MCL fans.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2016/ru ... x-preview/

McG

Hopfully they are concentrating more on 2017. This year will be and already is a poor show.

The only hope thay Honda has is if they have been concentrating on 2017 since 2014. But did any teams know what was going to happen in 2017 in 2014?

I still think it was a mistake to team up with Honda. I think it wasn't McLaren's first choice to team with Honda.
F1 is dead.

NL_Fer

A less then perfect Honda, or a b-spec Mercedes in the back, it wasn't getting much any better.

GoranF1

Mclaren Volvo V6 Hybrid......trucks are just the beggining of Ron's master plan.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McG

I'm thinking more of other manufacturers that they probably approached before Honda. We will never know but I think BMW would have been better. But I guess McLaren also had to think about other racing categories. Mclaren race BMW in GT racing so that wouldn't work. Same with any VW Audi teams e.g Lambo.
F1 is dead.