2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jef Patat

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a-dou ... 53291&em=1
In fact, the car felt good all race – obviously, we were saving fuel at some points of the afternoon, but, on one lap, I just decided to go for it – to wake myself up a little bit! – and the lap-time showed the potential is there.
That said, he drove a somewhat lonely race, with one eye very much on his fuel-meter. The gap ahead to fourth-placed Valtteri Bottas tells the story of how conservatively he drove his race – and the handful of very quick, unrestrained, laps that he punched in during the closing laps show the potential of what could have been achieved had he been able to run at full pace throughout.
Also menioning of Mobil1

bauc

:shock: Fuel saving cost McLaren-Honda 50 seconds in Russian Grand Prix
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 50-seconds
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

superdowg316

bauc wrote::shock: Fuel saving cost McLaren-Honda 50 seconds in Russian Grand Prix
That would've been Alonso P4 and Button P7 then correct?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Vasconia

Very good race by Fernando, he needed it.

Positives signs about the chassis and top speed. Still quite negative ones with a very low power in the exit of the corners and a very high fuel consumption.

Andres125sx

superdowg316 wrote:
bauc wrote::shock: Fuel saving cost McLaren-Honda 50 seconds in Russian Grand Prix
If you assume the rest didn´t need any fuel saving, then yes. But I´m afraid that´s far from real

GoranF1

http://www.cope.es/player/AUDIO-Entrevi ... &activo=10

ok if someone who knows Spanish would sum this audio for us would be nice.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McG

Don't mean to be on a downer all the time but we have to be realistic. McLaren are still nowhere. As ME4ME said, a lot of cars dropped out that would have finished ahead of McLaren so the only positive from this race is that McLaren where there to capitalise on that. They would have been out of the points otherwise :(

ME4ME wrote:First of all, Alonso did a great job in the race. So well done to him and Mclaren.

But lets not forget Kvyat, Riccardo, Perez and Vettels race were ruined right at the start. Sainz race was destroyed as well, as a part of Kvyats front wing had gone in his sidepod and damaged his car quite heavily. Verstappen broke down too. So that are 6 strong players gone.
F1 is dead.

mclaren_mircea

superdowg316 wrote:
The most important thing that he said is that they won't have any performance gains on the engine side in the next races, they will just have aerodynamic and chassis gains.

Andres125sx

GoranF1 wrote:http://www.cope.es/player/AUDIO-Entrevi ... &activo=10

ok if someone who knows Spanish would sum this audio for us would be nice.
He said they were lucky about dodging first lap incidents, so they won at least 3-4 positions due to retirements.

They had to save a lot of fuel, releasing the throttle very soon on the straights

About Kviat he said it´s a bit unfair as in China it was a racing incident, and here in Russia turn 2 incident was his mistake, understandable as when you´re in that position the huge drop in DF can easily make you lock your tires, but turn 3 incident is a bit inexplicable as there was a lot of speed difference. (I´ll add here, he surely didn´t bother to analyse it further, or he´d have seen Perez was in front of Vettel with a punctured tire wich forced Seb to brake on a point were nobody brake normally, causing that speed difference and second crash kviat-vettel)

He´s asked about Ferrari, and says they´ve been very unlucky in the beginning of the season. Problem is not Ferrari but Mercedes who is too far aways from anyone else

They also ask him about Hamilton and his angry attitude at the drivers parade. He said he´s being unlucky too but the championship is very long

Asked about race pace and if it´s some sort of relief, he says they´ve enjoied superb reliability along the whole weekend wich is completely different to past season when they didn´t know at what lap they´d suffer some problem. This season they at least can compete the whole race.

They also ask him about the rumour stating Honda could anticipate Canada upgrade to Barcelona, but he said it´s not planned and for Spain they will only bring a new chasis/aero package, hopefully to be fast enough throught the corners, but the PU upgrade will have to wait. But the target of having the best chasis on the grid is getting closer day by day and now they´re going to tracks like Montmelo and Monaco where chasis counts a lot and engine not so much they will have a chance to get some fun

Then they ask him about football, champions league, etc. (Fernando is a big fan of Real Madrid, like any other good man :mrgreen: :lol: )

Someone say they always support Alonso in the good and the bad times, and he reply ok but the bad times are finishing, wich someone sais that´s what we all want to hear adding "Alonso is back", and some other sais that could be titled "take that Herbert"

Someone ask about his statement some month ago saying he think they can make some podium, and after thinking a bit abou t it, he insist that´s still possible with some PU and chasis upgrade togheter with some race similar to Sochi with incidents where they have been sixth more or less confortably, so why not improving three more positions with some upgrades in some of the 15-16 remaining races

Someone ask on a very disliking manner about Herbert (he call him a cockroach) but Alonso doesn´t give him any more importance, he says that´s part of the game, they had a very difficult season in 2015 and that´s a reality wich was frustrating, but in 2016 they´re improving slowly so even when he understand expectations are high for a team like McLaren so when results does not match expectations these comments are normal

I hope my trasnlation makes sense

GoranF1

Thanks alot Andres....BTW i asked Albert and he said test is more likely for Honda upgrade then race in BCN.

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:
If you assume the rest didn´t need any fuel saving, then yes. But I´m afraid that´s far from real
Everyone had to save tons of fuel. Raikkonen clearly said so in the post race interview. This is some major straw clutching from boulier.

ALO_Power

Well, that was a quite positive race but let's wait for Barcelona to see what will really happen there. The car must have a good chassis, just look at it. My question though is that if the problem is fuel saving and if they push for 1 lap they get competitive time (like Alonso did) then why they are not competitive in Qualifying as well? Fuel saving doesn't play a big role in Qualifying. I mean, they need to add 1-3 liters more than others in Qualy and that causes them to hang around P12 to P14 ? I don't think so.

Sasha

Every team was saving fuel because that track design just burns fuel.So that 50 seconds was BS.

GoranF1

Sasha wrote:Every team was saving fuel because that track design just burns fuel.So that 50 seconds was BS.
Mercedes has confirmed they and their costumer teams had no fuel saving problems what so ever.

McG

ALO_Power wrote:Well, that was a quite positive race but let's wait for Barcelona to see what will really happen there. The car must have a good chassis, just look at it. My question though is that if the problem is fuel saving and if they push for 1 lap they get competitive time (like Alonso did) then why they are not competitive in Qualifying as well? Fuel saving doesn't play a big role in Qualifying. I mean, they need to add 1-3 liters more than others in Qualy and that causes them to hang around P12 to P14 ? I don't think so.
Exactly. Only thing that has changed is that McLaren are reliable and slow rather than unreliable and slow.

No doubt the chassis is pretty good. Hard to believe that Honda got it wrong 2 years in a row. Well not hard to believe, just frustrated and disappointed in Honda like I guess everyone is, they really aren't good.

I can see McLaren planning something else for 2018 after Honda again fail in 2017.
F1 is dead.