2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Ok the other manufacturers have done a good job, but aren't honda being held back by the token system?
Just a fan's point of view

Sasha

GoranF1 wrote:
Sasha wrote:Every team was saving fuel because that track design just burns fuel.So that 50 seconds was BS.
Mercedes has confirmed they and their costumer teams had no fuel saving problems what so ever.
Because MB is the only PU manufacturer who got the formula right from day one. It is an efficiency formula,not a power formula. It now looks like Ferrari can match MB's power at 100 KG/hr but not for the whole race and MB is more powerful at 90 or 80 KG/hr. Also MB is better getting ER from the MGU-H without hurting ICE performance too.

McG

Yup Mercedes got it right and they started working on the PU earlier than others and no doubt worked harder and showed more desire for success.

That's why I'm annoyed with Honda. I'll say again that they should already have been pounding around Suzuka with a test car before the 2014 season started with 3 cars and 3 test teams at least. It would have cost a lot but they would have made it all back with success instead of failure. Mclaren are throwing everything they have at the chassis and even offered Honda help.
F1 is dead.

Thunder

Fwiw: apparently Dani Ricciardo complimented the McLaren Chassis in a Conversation with Eric Boullier and said that Red Bull is keeping a close Eye on them. Also Eric thinks Red Bull and McLaren will have very good Chassis next Year

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/9 ... chtig.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

max_speed

Thunders wrote:Fwiw: apparently Dani Ricciardo complimented the McLaren Chassis in a Conversation with Eric Boullier and said that Red Bull is keeping a close Eye on them. Also Eric thinks Red Bull and McLaren will have very good Chassis next Year

i do believe mclaren chassis is a good one. button was able to close gap in corners while chasing sainz but was lacking outright power to overtake on straights. Honda has done a OK job not excellent one.
a planned a major re-design in 2017 confirms why Arai was sacked at start of year. if they match williams by end of year that will be a great achievement.

Vasconia

GoranF1 wrote:Thanks alot Andres....BTW i asked Albert and he said test is more likely for Honda upgrade then race in BCN.
This makes sense to me. Canada is where the new PU should be ready, a very fast track where they will really need an improved PU.

With an updated aerodinamic package for Barcelona, I am quite hopeful about this race and Monaco.

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:Thanks alot Andres....BTW i asked Albert and he said test is more likely for Honda upgrade then race in BCN.
Ohh, totally overlooked that Post. Thanks for sharing. That sounds like the sensible Way to do.

Edit:
McLaren F1 team has 'significant' upgrade for Spanish Grand Prix
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1458713806

Let's see what the others bring.
#aerogollum

Logie

Has there been any credible information said about what Honda plans to do for their next upgrade?

Car does look good going around the track but its clear to see something is holding it back, I guess you cant get a true reflection on how your aero performs if you cant test it at max power for more then a lap or two.

McG

max_speed wrote:
Thunders wrote:Fwiw: apparently Dani Ricciardo complimented the McLaren Chassis in a Conversation with Eric Boullier and said that Red Bull is keeping a close Eye on them. Also Eric thinks Red Bull and McLaren will have very good Chassis next Year

i do believe mclaren chassis is a good one. button was able to close gap in corners while chasing sainz but was lacking outright power to overtake on straights. Honda has done a OK job not excellent one.
a planned a major re-design in 2017 confirms why Arai was sacked at start of year. if they match williams by end of year that will be a great achievement.
How has Honda done an OK job?
Even if they had done an OK job, OK isn't good enough in F1 or McLaren.
F1 is dead.

chenpei24730

McG wrote:Yup Mercedes got it right and they started working on the PU earlier than others and no doubt worked harder and showed more desire for success.

That's why I'm annoyed with Honda. I'll say again that they should already have been pounding around Suzuka with a test car before the 2014 season started with 3 cars and 3 test teams at least. It would have cost a lot but they would have made it all back with success instead of failure. Mclaren are throwing everything they have at the chassis and even offered Honda help.
It's MC who told Honda to change the engine to the stupid Size Zero concept in 2014. Even if Honda started their engine project in 1000 BC, they only had one year to redesign and rebuild the engine that MC asked.

McG

chenpei24730 wrote:
McG wrote:Yup Mercedes got it right and they started working on the PU earlier than others and no doubt worked harder and showed more desire for success.

It's MC who told Honda to change the engine to the stupid Size Zero concept in 2014. Even if Honda started their engine project in 1000 BC, they only had one year to redesign and rebuild the engine that MC asked.
So Honda will do anything McLaren tell them. Don't think so. Honda could easily have said no.
F1 is dead.

McG

And anyway, the Honda engine didn't even work when the bolted it in at the end of 2014 in the 2014 car with lots of room. It was also unreliable throughout 2015 which has nothing to do with size zero.
F1 is dead.

NL_Fer

Yeah sure, Honda would have built an engine that cannot fit inside the 2015 chassis. Don't think so.

And the failures were mostly overheating the turbo inside the V or turbo failure because of the needed 130000rpm,,because it needed to be small. If Honda built a bigger,,more conventional turbo, they would have been working on combustion and pre-chamber halveway last years season.

diffuser

I had this conversation on this very forum last year around this time with Wazari.

He said that Arai had no choice in the matter.

McLaren Request, handed to Honda and force upon Arai.

Apparently Honda was willing to do anything to get into F1 with McLaren.

Thunder

Do i really have to search for the Article i posted 3 times already here quoting Arai saying McLaren forced nothing on them? I should use that as my Signature.... :roll:

Edit: Here you go, fresh from the (by then) Source:
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compani ... rough-year

Page 2:
... McLaren once told us that we don't have to be aggressive in downsizing our power unit. But we are determined to shrink the size by whatever means possible.
#aerogollum