2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

GrayGreat wrote: I am not a native English speaker so pardon me if you don't understand something.
Really? Wow. Your written English is excellent, on the whole. =D>

Your grasp of the apostrophe is admirable: most native English speakers seem to struggle with that one, sadly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

giantfan10

Just_a_fan wrote:
GrayGreat wrote: I am not a native English speaker so pardon me if you don't understand something.

Your grasp of the apostrophe is admirable: most native English speakers seem to struggle with that one, sadly.
Lol,the only questionable use is right before "and Silverstone...."

NYGIANTS

one can only look at how close lewis was to lapping rosberg in the final laps. its a fact that under changing conditions rosbergs not at his best, he needs everything to be perfect to get the most out of the car.

Manoah2u

based upon past results, based upon changing conditions, based upon 'career' achievements, i'd say this would be more or less close or correct

Nico is more or less on the level of Button, and whilst Button won a WDC, he's actually rateable below JB.
Button gave Hamilton some decent competition, but could not overwhelmingly beat him.
Nico gave Hamilton some decent competition, but could far from overwhelmingly beat him.

Hamilton is of a higher rating than Rosberg.

Hamilton had close competition with Alonso. both are really close to eachother.
Vettel had close competition with Alonso. both are close to eachother.

so the conclusion imho would be:

Hamilton - Vettel - Alonso
Button - Rosberg - Webber
the rest.

And i rate Button higher than Rosberg because button excelles in changing circumstances, where Rosberg gets lost.

Remember above all: the drivers now have less radio help input and are more 'on their own' than before.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pierce89

Manoah2u wrote:based upon past results, based upon changing conditions, based upon 'career' achievements, i'd say this would be more or less close or correct

Nico is more or less on the level of Button, and whilst Button won a WDC, he's actually rateable below JB.
Button gave Hamilton some decent competition, but could not overwhelmingly beat him.
Nico gave Hamilton some decent competition, but could far from overwhelmingly beat him.

the rest.

And i rate Button higher than Rosberg because button excelles in changing circumstances, where Rosberg gets lost.

Remember above all: the drivers now have less radio help input and are more 'on their own' than before.
Only issue I have with your ratings is Webber. He's not part of this group. He's never even the quickest guy in his little Porsche threesome.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Just_a_fan

giantfan10 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Lol,the only questionable use is right before "and Silverstone...."
That's a comma and might, in that situation, be called an "Oxford comma".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

NYGIANTS wrote:one can only look at how close lewis was to lapping rosberg in the final laps. its a fact that under changing conditions rosbergs not at his best, he needs everything to be perfect to get the most out of the car.
I think he was pretty good in silverstone last year, pole position in 2014 there as well in mixed conditions where hamilton aborted the run.
2015 USA he was also better than hamilton (apart from 1 mistake).

GrayGreat

Manoah2u wrote:
I agree with first point.
From the second point, I take that you are talking about 2012 (?). That year, RedBull was clearly a better car than Ferrari. Based on this, I would rate Hamilton-Alonso-----Vettel rather than Hamilton-Vettel-Alonso.

Manoah2u

Pierce89 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:based upon past results, based upon changing conditions, based upon 'career' achievements, i'd say this would be more or less close or correct

the rest.

Only issue I have with your ratings is Webber. He's not part of this group. He's never even the quickest guy in his little Porsche threesome.
my mistake, i didnt notice i wrote Webber whilst i meant to put Massa there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NYGIANTS

Juzh wrote:
NYGIANTS wrote:one can only look at how close lewis was to lapping rosberg in the final laps. its a fact that under changing conditions rosbergs not at his best, he needs everything to be perfect to get the most out of the car.
I think he was pretty good in silverstone last year, pole position in 2014 there as well in mixed conditions where hamilton aborted the run.
2015 USA he was also better than hamilton (apart from 1 mistake).
no doubt and i remember those races but one thing those tracks had vs monaco was run off areas. monaco 2016 he looked like he was on a sunday drive compared to lewis and daniel. again so many variables but set up and track could be the main reasons why he was so slow.

dans79

F1 fanatic published an interesting take on the Rosberg contract negotiation, and team order scenario.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/06/05/r ... lton-pass/
When the chequered flag fell on the Monaco Grand Prix Rosberg was over a minute and a half behind Hamilton. With that kind of performance disadvantage it was always likely Hamilton was going to get ahead of him through the pit stops one way or another.

So it’s possible to see Rosberg’s decision to let Hamilton go as a prudent call not to unnecessarily antagonise his team on a day when he simply wasn’t able to make the tyres work and was doomed to come out second best to his team mate. Particularly in light of the fact Rosberg is in negotiations to extend his Mercedes contract beyond the end of the year, though he has denied this had a bearing.

But in the final reckoning it’s hard not to see this as a perfect example of why even when Rosberg’s lead peaked at 43 points many people considered it an inevitability that Hamilton would catch and pass him. It’s hard to imagine Hamilton yielding under such circumstances, and it’s even more difficult to imagine him being so much slower than his team mate in a straight fight that it would become necessary to begin with.

I expect the world’s best racing drivers to give no quarter and grant none. Last weekend Rosberg put his hand up and volunteered to be a number two.
197 104 103 7

jurinius

dans79 wrote:F1 fanatic published an interesting take on the Rosberg contract negotiation, and team order scenario.

I expect the world’s best racing drivers to give no quarter and grant none. Last weekend Rosberg put his hand up and volunteered to be a number two.
An interesting point but a little exaggerated. Nobody in this car want to be a number two especially for Rosberg as current championship leader.

What I am still knocking my head to understand is why all this drama #-o , we have a confident driver in a fantastic car leading the championship by 24 points. It is like people are expecting Mercedes to change something in their driver or race management, they made the choice to do not prioritize any driver for championship. IMO as driver, the main goal is to put yourself highly valuable for the team so when (because of your ego probably) you have to clash some team order, the damages will not be worse.

So what were the damages here ? Redbull 2 wins in a row + Boost confidence - A furious Lewis Hamilton at the end of the race (if both finished) + another argumentation in Mercs rooms + another 5% boost to a 1-2 driver decision ( Here comes my question : Who are the most in favor of this decision ? Rosberg fans [NR - LH] or Hamilton fans [LH - NR] or f1 fans [NA] ? ).
Last edited by jurinius on 06 Jun 2016, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

iotar__

dans79 wrote:F1 fanatic published an interesting take on the Rosberg contract negotiation, and team order scenario.

When the chequered flag fell on the Monaco Grand Prix Rosberg was over a minute and a half behind Hamilton. With that kind of performance disadvantage it was always likely Hamilton was going to get ahead of him through the pit stops one way or another.

So it’s possible to see Rosberg’s decision to let Hamilton go as a prudent call not to unnecessarily antagonise his team on a day when he simply wasn’t able to make the tyres work and was doomed to come out second best to his team mate. Particularly in light of the fact Rosberg is in negotiations to extend his Mercedes contract beyond the end of the year, though he has denied this had a bearing.

But in the final reckoning it’s hard not to see this as a perfect example of why even when Rosberg’s lead peaked at 43 points many people considered it an inevitability that Hamilton would catch and pass him. It’s hard to imagine Hamilton yielding under such circumstances, and it’s even more difficult to imagine him being so much slower than his team mate in a straight fight that it would become necessary to begin with.

I expect the world’s best racing drivers to give no quarter and grant none. Last weekend Rosberg put his hand up and .
0. Write something yourself instead of bringing this lies and nonsense piece from some other site that contradicts itself written by a Hamilton fanatical fan to bang his drum and bash the other driver. Firstly Rosberg "doesn't want to antagonize his team" because of the 43 lead and then "he put his hand up and volunteered to be a number two" That doesn't make any sense. "...was doomed to come out second best to his team mate." No, he wasn't, on the contrary Hamilton was not able to pass, that's reality as opposed to conjecture above and that's why he got team orders and with track position strategy followed. Perhaps he was "doomed" to crash instead?

1. You don't have to imagine Hamilton being slower, you only need to watch F1 with your eyes opened - USA and Silverstone '15. (You want slow Monaco in the rain? 2008) This one was different because it lasted the whole race, in all conditions and all tyres which is enough to think it wasn't some tyres working issue and the fight wasn't straight to begin with. Pace compared to FI and McL another evidence. Team orders used are not a straight fight either and neither are two slow pitstops that cost x postions.

2. Rosberg was forced by his team, there was nothing voluntary about, zero, nil. If you think it was his choice you know nothing about F1. Hamilton's win was gifted by team orders and bad pitstop - indisputable reality as opposed some "volunteered to be nr 2" purple prose garbage.

3. The thing about Mercedes is they're not treating their driver equally, one example: reaction after Spa '14 (some internal punishment) vs pushing off USA '15 and Barcelona crash. Lying and using team orders against one driver and not the other is another "We cannot ask either driver to give up positions or jeopardise their own championship chances for the benefit of the team." That's why one driver can do what he wants and the other cannot. Simple enough?

dans79

jurinius wrote: Nobody in this car want to be a number two especially for Rosberg as current championship leader.
I think you are reading this to literally.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
jurinius wrote: Nobody in this car want to be a number two especially for Rosberg as current championship leader.
I think you are reading this to literally.
Depends on the paycheck ;-)
They are, most of all, professionals :P

But, no, I don't think Rosberg wants to be second. But I think that, especially now he's a bit older, if Hamilton is struggling in the car he would move aside for his teammate. In that case you're more fighting with the car and track then your opponent.