2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

sosic2121 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if sky offers you a job.
FFS, have watched monaco?!
I hope you didnt. What option did Mercedes has other than losing a GP because of one of the their driver who was leading the race, was shivering in the wet. They did it for their own interest.

Jolle

GPR-A wrote:I am flabbergasted by the attitude Mercedes have shown, from Baku to Silverstone, with respect to how they handled the mechanical issues of two drivers. In Baku, they were completely negative in giving any indications to Lewis to get his PU problems resolved. Contrary to that, at Silverstone, Nico's race engineer was quick to jump and educate him to get out of the issue. Stewards have now deemed it a violations of radio messages rules, but Mercedes are adamant and now want to lodge an appeal :!: Not that I have a problem with what they did and how they are trying to fight the situation. Had they shown similar audacity in Baku, Lewis would have been leading the championship by now, with a sure shot 3rd place in Baku (could have been 2nd place too, who knows) :!:
He think you got misinformed about what piece of information gave Nico the penalty and why he was allowed (beforehand) to receive the right chassis setting (and why Hamilton not).

Once more: Nico had a terminal gearbox problem. They asked the stewards if they could relay a fix. He got penalized because then he asked how he should shift gears.
Hamilton had the wrong mapping, not a terminal problem, just made him a tad slower.

The rules are clear and were applied well. If you don't agree with the rules, state that. Not badly informed rand like this.

Jolle

Jolle wrote:
GPR-A wrote:I am flabbergasted by the attitude Mercedes have shown, from Baku to Silverstone, with respect to how they handled the mechanical issues of two drivers. In Baku, they were completely negative in giving any indications to Lewis to get his PU problems resolved. Contrary to that, at Silverstone, Nico's race engineer was quick to jump and educate him to get out of the issue. Stewards have now deemed it a violations of radio messages rules, but Mercedes are adamant and now want to lodge an appeal :!: Not that I have a problem with what they did and how they are trying to fight the situation. Had they shown similar audacity in Baku, Lewis would have been leading the championship by now, with a sure shot 3rd place in Baku (could have been 2nd place too, who knows) :!:
I think you got misinformed about what piece of information gave Nico the penalty and why he was allowed (beforehand) to receive the right chassis setting (and why Hamilton not).

Once more: Nico had a terminal gearbox problem. They asked the stewards if they could relay a fix. He got penalized because then he asked how he should shift gears.
Hamilton had the wrong mapping, not a terminal problem, just made him a tad slower.

The rules are clear and were applied well. If you don't agree with the rules, state that. Not badly informed rand like this.

FoxHound

GPR-A wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if sky offers you a job.
FFS, have watched monaco?!
I hope you didnt. What option did Mercedes has other than losing a GP because of one of the their driver who was leading the race, was shivering in the wet. They did it for their own interest.
Unsure if we are talking of the same formula... teams are all self motivated entities, which operate for their own interest.

But pray tell why they would sabotage themselves?
JET set

Phil

Jolle wrote:Hamilton had the wrong mapping, not a terminal problem, just made him a tad slower.
Without wanting to get into the rules-ying-yang discussion, I thought I heard somewhere (from Hamilton's interview?) that the engine from Baku was a write-off after the race. Anyone have some info on this? Or did I complete misread/mishear this?

I could swear I heard this, I'm not sure, when Hamilton elaborated on the engine and part usage situation and that he is expecting to having to start from the back eventually...

Anyone?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle

Phil wrote:
Jolle wrote:Hamilton had the wrong mapping, not a terminal problem, just made him a tad slower.
Without wanting to get into the rules-ying-yang discussion, I thought I heard somewhere (from Hamilton's interview?) that the engine from Baku was a write-off after the race. Anyone have some info on this? Or did I complete misread/mishear this?

I could swear I heard this, I'm not sure, when Hamilton elaborated on the engine and part usage situation and that he is expecting to having to start from the back eventually...

Anyone?
He used the same engine in Austria (according to the FIA website) and they both got a whole new set of everything at Silverstone. And yes, somewhere in the second half he would have to take a few penalties for one or two new turbos and H- units

dans79

I find this highly unlikely, but it's something interesting to talk about.
Sebastian Vettel has been tipped to move to Mercedes in 2018 by the man who mentored his four world championships, Red Bull boss Christian Horner.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24182/ ... es-in-2018
197 104 103 7

bhall II

"I can well imagine that in 2018 Seb will switch to Mercedes if he doesn't start making progress with Ferrari," Horner told Bild.

[...]

"I have the feeling that Seb is a bit rattled," Horner added.

"I know from personal experience that he has to feel good in order to perform well. And I'm not sure whether he likes [Ferrari president] Sergio Marchionne's pressure."
I'd be willing to bet that this is just Horner stirring the pot in an attempt to make things even more complicated in Maranello. (It'll probably work, too.)

dans79

bhall II wrote:
"I can well imagine that in 2018 Seb will switch to Mercedes if he doesn't start making progress with Ferrari," Horner told Bild.

[...]

"I have the feeling that Seb is a bit rattled," Horner added.

"I know from personal experience that he has to feel good in order to perform well. And I'm not sure whether he likes [Ferrari president] Sergio Marchionne's pressure."
I'd be willing to bet that this is just Horner stirring the pot in an attempt to make things even more complicated in Maranello. (It'll probably work, too.)
I'd assume it would make Rosberg a little uneasy as well.
197 104 103 7

skoop

rosberg confirmed at merc for 2 more years

flickerf1

Toto Wolff Q&A: http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/inter ... -race.html
Q: You probably thought that Red Bull - due to the characteristics of the track - were more of a threat to you. Is there anything that you see that Red Bull haven’t been able to maximise?

TW: I have no idea what they do. We have to look at ourselves and we are very honest as to where we can improve. It is a constant battle to make the team, the car, everything better, to optimize everything, and as this here was not a great moment for us in past years, we tried to put a car on the track here that would be competitive. We are lucky not to have to focus too much on how the car performs on a certain track - we are good on every layout so far this season. And that is promising for the next 11 races considering that there is no more development.
So, it seems like Merc have fully switched to 2017. Not looking too good for the competition.
The Wicked + The Divine.

dans79

flickerf1 wrote:So, it seems like Merc have fully switched to 2017. Not looking too good for the competition.
We will still see development, but only on things that can be carried over to next year.
197 104 103 7

dans79

dans79 wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:So, it seems like Merc have fully switched to 2017. Not looking too good for the competition.
We will still see development, but only on things that can be carried over to next year (conceptual stuff).
197 104 103 7

flickerf1

dans79 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
We will still see development, but only on things that can be carried over to next year (conceptual stuff).
Ah, ok.
The Wicked + The Divine.

PlatinumZealot

There will still be upgrades coming from the manufacturing departments, only that the design office will have fully turned their attention to 2017.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏