2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Jokke

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Just heard that lewis will get a 15 place grid penalty.

Euhm Merc #-o , just give him two new engines and start dead last or from pit (enough components for remainder of the season + no first lap crash issues)

EDIT: ok this clarifies: http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -grid-prep

ps: do both Nico and Lewis have new engine spec? Anyone knows?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

F1NAC

De Jokke wrote:
if you mean token spent spec than it is no.

De Jokke

F1NAC wrote:
De Jokke wrote:
if you mean token spent spec than it is no.
yes the upgraded (new / more power) engine. When will they get it?

De Jokke

Just read a tweet that merc engine upgrade will be in Suzuka???
Isn't that a problem for both lewis and Nico, certainly Lewis as he will yet have to take the new spec (+another penalty) or am I mistaken?

Sevach

News have been conflicting, first i heard that this engine would use tokens, now apparently they don't.

If Mercedes is planning on upgrading their engine later on Hamilton will have to choose between having less power or another penalty...

Just_a_fan

I think he has "bought" his upgrade with this week's penalty. One of his new engines will be old spec, one new spec.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Pitlane start (avoid first corner incidents) and use all 3 practice sessions to optimise race setup where Nico has to think about Quali as well. Set a time in Q1 and then don't run in Q2 to save tyres.

If it rains on Sunday we could yet see Lewis win!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Paul

There's no point in a pit lane start if the car is already set up for the race. Taking it easy into the first corner will cost less time than a pit lane start. It's up to the driver to manage the risks.

ab_f1

What is the time loss between PitLane start vs end of grid here?

Sevach

Just_a_fan wrote:I think he has "bought" his upgrade with this week's penalty. One of his new engines will be old spec, one new spec.
He used one engine in Fp1 and another in Fp2, both are of the same spec.

You can't simply "order" an engine that hasn't been fabricated yet, it needs to be introduced and the FIA puts it's seal on it.

Phil

Maybe that was the "deal"? I think I recall a bit of talk if it was fair to have Lewis take a new engine in all 3 sessions to set himself up an advantage vs Rosberg towards till the end of the season. On the other hand, if the new engine is only introduced in Suzuka and Rosberg gets his last and 5th engine then, it might level out considering Hamilton with more less used "old spec" engines vs Rosberg with the newer spec one as of Suzuka...

The other question being; how much advantage will that new spec engine be? Only time will tell.... Tough luck of Lewis means that he needs to take a new engine now so might as well take as many as he can or risk one go up in smoke...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Cold Fussion

I still cannot fathom how the original penalty rules were scrapped for this system which just makes a complete mockery of the 5 component per season rule.

Sevach

Phil wrote:Maybe that was the "deal"? I think I recall a bit of talk if it was fair to have Lewis take a new engine in all 3 sessions to set himself up an advantage vs Rosberg towards till the end of the season. On the other hand, if the new engine is only introduced in Suzuka and Rosberg gets his last and 5th engine then, it might level out considering Hamilton with more less used "old spec" engines vs Rosberg with the newer spec one as of Suzuka...

The other question being; how much advantage will that new spec engine be? Only time will tell.... Tough luck of Lewis means that he needs to take a new engine now so might as well take as many as he can or risk one go up in smoke...
He would've taken a 15 positions penalty no matter what, which would've put him right in no man's land so he might as well go for the back of the grid, it's safer imo.

With that said, i don't quite understand why he took 2 new ICEs and MGU-Ks here, he could've taken 1, like Rosberg, and take another on schedule, if the eventual updates were only ICE related he wouldn't need to take a penalty...
When he had his problems he only took extra Turbos and MGU-Hs, all installed on the same engine, so why didn't they just take a bucket load of turbos and kept the ICE schedule?

SparkyAMG

Cold Fussion wrote:I still cannot fathom how the original penalty rules were scrapped for this system which just makes a complete mockery of the 5 component per season rule.
Both this situation and the old situation where penalties carried over to the following race are ridiculous.

Each set of rules has a varying impact depending on whereabouts you'd normally expect to start a race, but neither situation is preferable in my opinion. I'd prefer if they didn't limit the number of power units.

dans79

Sevach wrote: With that said, i don't quite understand why he took 2 new ICEs and MGU-Ks here, he could've taken 1, like Rosberg, and take another on schedule, if the eventual updates were only ICE related he wouldn't need to take a penalty...
When he had his problems he only took extra Turbos and MGU-Hs, all installed on the same engine, so why didn't they just take a bucket load of turbos and kept the ICE schedule?
It's probably a lot easier and safer (less chance for mistakes), to swap out completely assembled engines vs individual components.
197 104 103 7