2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bdr529

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Scuderia1967 wrote:
XRayF1 wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Blackberry is dead, not surprised that Mercedes may have dumped them.
The sponsor deal made in 2013 was believed to be 12m in total for 3 seasons.
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/hami ... berry_deal
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d6695dde ... ab49a.html

If so, it ended by end of 2015.
So, 4 mil a year paid for all that space in the car and in the drivers overalls?
Besides all the free phones, :D
I think your forgetting that at the time the sponsorship started Mercedes only had 1 victory
and the best they had finished in the constructors standings was 4th

ChrisF1

giantfan10 wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Blackberry is dead, not surprised that Mercedes may have dumped them.
really? lol so Mercedes dumped 4 million a year because Blackberry is dead or do you think the fact that is was a limited deal and ended when it was scheduled to has something to do with it?
Deals are struck, re-negotiated and extended all the time. I am sure Blackberry would love to align themselves with the World Champions, who will likely win again in 2016, but that is very one sided.

If it was a benefit to Mercedes then they would have fought to extend. I haven't seen Mercedes annouce a new mobile partner, so clearly they prefer to not have a mobile partner to Blackberry, despite how huge the mobile and tablet industry is.

giantfan10

ChrisF1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
really? lol so Mercedes dumped 4 million a year because Blackberry is dead or do you think the fact that is was a limited deal and ended when it was scheduled to has something to do with it?
Deals are struck, re-negotiated and extended all the time. I am sure Blackberry would love to align themselves with the World Champions, who will likely win again in 2016, but that is very one sided.

If it was a benefit to Mercedes then they would have fought to extend. I haven't seen Mercedes annouce a new mobile partner, so clearly they prefer to not have a mobile partner to Blackberry, despite how huge the mobile and tablet industry is.
look it was a deal that had a specific start date and end date and its now over....no need to try to create a scenario in your head to make it appear as if Mercedes rejected Blackberry or some such nonsense... its highly probable that Blackerry did not attempt to renew the deal based on the 12 million dollars they spent over 3 years versus the returns they got as a company.Blackberry is in downsizing mode and cutting as much fat as they can.That to me is a more plausible scenario than the one that you present where Mercedes 2 time constructor champion basically threw away 4 million + a year because cold hard cash was no benefit to them.
this from the CEO of Blackberry on the deal with Mercedes:
“Given the conditions we were in in the last three years it worked in some places,” Chen says.
it’s about us because when we were very preoccupied with turning around the company . . . we really didn’t take advantage of the platform . . . The fact of the matter is we haven’t truly been in a position to take advantage of their platform and everything else.”
Chen agrees Mercedes’ F1 World Championship win in 2014 produced good foreign market exposure for BlackBerry, but he remains undecided on whether a new sponsorship deal will be signed." and the decision has been made

Sevach

Even the dominating champion is having trouble finding sponsors, tough times.

can
can

Hey Guys,

have u noticed the hidden Puma Logo within the new Mercs livery?

Recognized it after I bought a new pair of Puma sneakers, for
no reason... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Damn you, subliminal marketing. :lol:

Cheers

Can

Phil

Didn't want to spam the W07 topic, so I am reposting a pic from it, just to say.....

Boy, what an incredible looking car. Love the black in the new livery. Absolutely stunning.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger

Cool photo for Niki Lauda's birthday today.

Manoah2u

am i the only one who can't enjoy Prost wearing his 'renault formula e' overall instead of one of his classic overalls like all the other blokes are doing?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

RA168E

To be fair, Patrese and Alesi aren't wearing their old overalls either.

Scuderia1967

RA168E wrote:To be fair, Patrese and Alesi aren't wearing their old overalls either.
No one is using their old overalls, they're just replicas made by Alpinestars

thomin

Phil wrote:Didn't want to spam the W07 topic, so I am reposting a pic from it, just to say.....

Boy, what an incredible looking car. Love the black in the new livery. Absolutely stunning.
I'm still not a fan of the soft paint-brushy edges. I guess I'd also prefer a silver air intake, but if they have to make it black, at least have sharp and clear edges.

Though it has gotten better. The Puma like Petronas swoosh is already a first step with its clear shape as opposed to last years gradient and at least the lower black part has for the most part well defined borders.

Shrieker

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

The new nose looks horrendous. Reminds me of this.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dodds_turbo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

For those who need a reminder of what a horrendous looking nose looks like, let me just remind you of this:

:shock: :? :wtf: :o #-o

Interesting to note how small and close together the pylons are on the CT05. Mercedes shark nose looks glamorous in comparison, and with mush larger pylons.

Moose

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Shrieker wrote:
The new nose looks horrendous. Reminds me of this.
For me, it reminds me of several of the ~1990 raised nose designs, which either featured one pillar, or two very close pillars.

ScottB

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

bill shoe wrote:
dodds_turbo wrote:For those who need a reminder of what a horrendous looking nose looks like, let me just remind you of this:

http://i.imgur.com/MBVez8L.jpg

:shock: :? :wtf: :o #-o
I confess I'm still surprised that type of nose did not turn out to be the optimum aero solution. My "eye-rodynamic" analysis still rates it very highly in terms of air volume, if not aesthetics.
Perhaps there was an aesthetic element involved, if you use F1 to build your brand and try and sell more cars to the world, a good looking car could be argued to help... Not saying for sure, but it's surely not impossible that teams pursued other solutions that were deliberately easier on the eye?