2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FLuidd
FLuidd

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

bill shoe wrote:
dodds_turbo wrote:For those who need a reminder of what a horrendous looking nose looks like, let me just remind you of this:

http://i.imgur.com/MBVez8L.jpg

:shock: :? :wtf: :o #-o
I confess I'm still surprised that type of nose did not turn out to be the optimum aero solution. My "eye-rodynamic" analysis still rates it very highly in terms of air volume, if not aesthetics.
To be honest that Merc looks like a championship winning car and like someone alredy said , the car just look balanced.

Last year for example Merc was ahead because of the PU , but the thing is that from what i have gathered Red Bull had the best chassis (about 0.1 sec engine adjusted), so the conclusion is that the difference yet again will come from the PU.

From my perspective Mercedes are confident that they will win both championships just by evolving the 2015 car , the problem with this being that evolving gives you less spectacular gains than for example a revolutionary design like Ferrari did.

Their bet is to start early on that 2017 car while adding bits and pieces to their 2016 car.
My calculation tell me that Mercedes are around 0.2 second ahead in race trim vs Ferrari , this means that they will probably the top dog in the first part of the season , but we will see on the second half because Ferrari has more space to maneuvre.

diego.liv
diego.liv

FLuidd wrote:From my perspective Mercedes are confident that they will win both championships just by evolving the 2015 car , the problem with this being that evolving gives you less spectacular gains than for example a revolutionary design like Ferrari did.

Their bet is to start early on that 2017 car while adding bits and pieces to their 2016 car.
My calculation tell me that Mercedes are around 0.2 second ahead in race trim vs Ferrari , this means that they will probably the top dog in the first part of the season , but we will see on the second half because Ferrari has more space to maneuvre.
While the first part makes sense, possibly to probably (quot.) the teams confident about their own position in the WCC will switch focus on the 2017 project..so if Ferrari doesn't have parts from 2016 to put on the 2017 car, why should they waste time fighting the Merc (per rumours: Merc well aheadof them) instead of switching focus?

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

The whole concept of having less to gain from an evolution than a revolution is a false assumption. Red Bull showed that it does not necessarily hold water.

f1316
f1316

NoDivergence wrote:The whole concept of having less to gain from an evolution than a revolution is a false assumption. Red Bull showed that it does not necessarily hold water.
Hmmm but particular technologies make the difference in that era.

2010 was the first chance Newey had to fully integrate a double diffuser into the design concept; 2011 saw them optimise off throttle blowing and the two subsequent years they were trying to regain the blowing effect after regulation changes to make it harder for 2012.

So there was always a major performance influencer to chase. There still is now of course: it's called the PU. I'm sure Mercedes will gain more from power increase than chassis changes in the offseason.

Morteza

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

flickerf1
flickerf1

I read this article earlier today; I sincerely hope it helps them improve their tire management. I love seeing new technological developments in F1 and this seems like one of them (especially the live feed, data gathering prospect.) There might be other teams that have this tech, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by flickerf1 on 19 Mar 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

FoxHound

Mercedes have a deal with Manor to supply fuel and lubricants, to the tune of around 2 million a season.
Interestingly, Mercedes have claim to "several factory buildings" in the event the bill goes unpaid.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2016/ ... 4df037225d

It's Forbes...so pause your Ad Blocker.
JET set

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

This, among other business dealings, is probably why Booth and Lowden wanted out. This risk doesn't make sense to them. Have to say, if they can't find 1.8m to secure this up front there's something wrong. Makes me wonder what terms they have with Merc for the engine deal and Williams for the rear end?

SectorOne

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 16-678753/
Mercedes gives Hamilton/Rosberg new freedom to race in 2016
Read the text but arguably the one thing holding them back (in terms of doing something different then the other guy) is having pre-planned race strats and first guy gets pit priority.

Unless that is changed i don´t see much difference to previous years.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

jurinius
jurinius

Braking news !

Lucas Nylund - Managing Director, Endless Brake Technology Europe AB
"It’s always a really exciting time at the start of the racing season and I am excited to see the new Mercedes W07 Hybrid on the race track in Australia. The race is a good validation of our work together as Melbourne is really heavy on the brakes and demands the utmost from both the driver and the car. With two Championship wins behind us, we are looking forward to an exciting season ahead and we are delighted to again be partnering a great team!"

source: http://www.endless-brake.info/index.php ... a-one-team
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

SectorOne

Ted saying the chief mechanics have been switched around so Lewis now has Rosberg´s and vice versa. Also some mechanics on both sides have switched.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Phil

Only just saw this. Is there a reason for this? Could this have to do with Lewis's engineer Jock Clear leaving Mercedes to Ferrari?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Skippon
Skippon

Jock clear has never been Lewis's engineer......
Peter Bonnington and Tony Ross remain with their drivers.

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:Only just saw this. Is there a reason for this? Could this have to do with Lewis's engineer Jock Clear leaving Mercedes to Ferrari?
What Ted was mentioning on his notebook and Toto told, the garages were getting intensely split and they couldn't allow that to develop as it would lead to concealing of information that would hamper overall team's development. Hence, they decided to mix up the garages and that starts with chief mechanics' exchange.