2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

ME4ME

Re: 2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvyat ... st-676413/

Interesting quotes from Franz Tost. If it does turn out that both Red Bull drivers do a good job this season, wonder what Red Bull does, driver wise. A 3rd year for both Sainz and Verstappen at Toro Rosso? Verstappen is said to be on a 2+1 contract, meaning he would either go to Red Bull in 2017, or he would be free to go (that how I interpret it, anyway).

I guess Red Bull is in a luxury situation right now. Although a 3rd year at Toro Rosso is unusual for most RB-junior drivers, I think it's not a bad alternative for either Sainz or Verstappen. And surely Red Bull would want them there. There aren't any drivers in their junior programme that clearly show more potential than either of the current drivers.

dodds_turbo

ME4ME,

It will be interesting to see what will happen if Toro Rosso outperform Red Bull this year. Verstappen has shown skill and fine control of the 2015 car. If the two teams are similarly matched ( or Toro Rosso outperform Red Bull this year) then it would make sense for Verstappen and Sainz to remain at TR.

If RedBull have another poor year I wonder what that will do for Daniel and Danyl's confidence in the team. I know the whole game is changing next year so Red Bull could potentially jump back up to the front running group of teams.

ME4ME

Good point. Verstappen and Sainz will have the chance to shine in the first half of the season. But like they say, the 2nd season often is more difficult than the first one, because expectations are higher. I also think it's likely that Red Bull will overhaul Toro Rosso throughout the season. Naturally because of larger resources, they will make more progress with aero, and while Toro Rosso is "stuck" with the engine specification they've got, Red Bull will get upgrades from Renault. Ultimately Red Bull will bounce back.

nevill3

I have just found out that Red Bull stayed over in Barcelona for a filming day after the pre season tests were completed, does anybody have any interesting gossip on this?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

lio007

nevill3 wrote:I have just found out that Red Bull stayed over in Barcelona for a filming day after the pre season tests were completed, does anybody have any interesting gossip on this?
I'm also a bit surprised that there were any news or something like that in the (social) media over the Weekend (except a short Video from RIC where it has been mentioned by RBR that they did a filming day).

All RBR-Actions in testing quite under the radar so far.

ME4ME

Basically some nice words about Renault, but a warning for F1 in general.
RED BULL CHASING THIRD WITH 'MASTERPIECE'

While Renault's progress with its power unit will define Red Bull Racing's season, Mateschitz paid credit to Adrian Newey and the team's new RB12 chassis.

"Though the powertrain is basically the same as last year, I got the impression that Renault is pushing hard with new people in responsible roles," he said.

"They show passion, a very professional attitude and a desire for success

"The new RB12 is one of the best ever cars we put on track, it's a masterpiece by Adrian and his team.

"Our target has to become third in the rankings behind the two factory teams and beat the customer teams with those engines."

Mateschitz expects Toro Rosso to join them in the top half of the field.

"They have got an excellent car too," he added.

"They should battle for fourth to sixth in the constructors' championship though their engine won't get an upgrade this season."

Both of Mateschitz's teams' customer contracts expire at the end of the 2016 season and he repeated his stance that engine supply could drive Red Bull away from F1.

"Everything right now is pretty open," he said.

"We definitely will not fight for fifth in the next five years.

"If we don't get a competitive engine after 2016 we have no choice but to consider our future.

"F1 is not the Tour de France, and we will for sure not play a supporting cast role."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123226

FrukostScones

So Mateschitz is threatening to leave again if the power balance doesn't shift to his favor.

What did he get last time?

A nice Renault engine he has to pay for.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

djos

He's right tho, this b.s. With some customer teams getting works engines because they can't build a decent chassis and others getting 2nd rate engines because they can has to stop.

I want to see teams like RedBull and Williams being competitive even if they don't have a works engine deal.
"In downforce we trust"

FoxHound

djos wrote:He's right tho, this b.s. With some customer teams getting works engines because they can't build a decent chassis and others getting 2nd rate engines because they can has to stop.

I want to see teams like RedBull and Williams being competitive even if they don't have a works engine deal.

Williams have a premium grade engine contract with Mercedes...what are you on about?
JET set

djos

Williams have been ignored for updates on a number of occasions now.
"In downforce we trust"

FoxHound

djos wrote:Williams have been ignored for updates on a number of occasions now and my understanding is that they are now just regular customers as of this year.
Your assessment was retrospective.

The updates are primary to the factory team. If FerrarI, Merc et al are to be forced to release a uniformed updates across all engines, we may as well forget about anyone challenging the lead engines for a while.

But it also brings into question other aspects of F1 such as same teams running different spec wings, or ratios or even step changes in engine usage.
If it is going to be about absolute parity with no regard for how things get done... why stop at engines when other aspects of the car make as much of a difference to "parity".

And how long before aero and chassis parity be implemented?

I have also not read anything to suggest Williams have changed their status with Mercedes. So far as I know... it remains premium.
JET set

FLuidd

FrukostScones wrote:So Mateschitz is threatening to leave again if the power balance doesn't shift to his favor.

What did he get last time?

A nice Renault engine he has to pay for.
I think its time Red Bull left F1 , when they had off throttle engine running to energize the diffuser they defended their advantage to death. Now they are bashing Ferrari and Mercedes and threaten to leave F1.

The future belongs to engine manufacturers anyway , if they want to stay , they should make their own engine , the same goes for Mclaren , but at least they shut up about it.

mclaren111

Damn - here we go again :oops: :evil: :oops:

PLEASE LEAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Juzh

FLuidd wrote: when they had off throttle engine running to energize the diffuser they defended their advantage to death.
An advantage fia wanted to ban mid-season and only lasted in true form for 1 year.