2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gandharva

Re: 2016 Red Bull Racing team - TAG Heuer

If this article is real, then this simulator is going to be a huge advantage for 2017.

ME4ME

gandharva wrote:If this article is real, then this simulator is going to be a huge advantage for 2017.
Well, it has been known for quite a while that Red Bull was in the process of installing this facility. Likewise Ferrari has one as well. It was also known that Red Bull had bought a new simulator.

What we didn't know was that the simulator is rotational, 360 degrees, and is connected to the car bench system.

I think the fact that Red Bull has this advanced testing technology greatly helps their negotiation position with Renault. If Renault has any ambition to become a front running team again, they must have access so this kind of technology which will greatly help them develop their power unit.

F1NAC

ME4ME wrote:
gandharva wrote:If this article is real, then this simulator is going to be a huge advantage for 2017.
Well, it has been known for quite a while that Red Bull was in the process of installing this facility. Likewise Ferrari has one as well. It was also known that Red Bull had bought a new simulator.

What we didn't know was that the simulator is rotational, 360 degrees, and is connected to the car bench system.

I think the fact that Red Bull has this advanced testing technology greatly helps their negotiation position with Renault. If Renault has any ambition to become a front running team again, they must have access so this kind of technology which will greatly help them develop their power unit.
But Ferrari has only rollers to test engine inside chasis? not the chasis behaviour like Red Bull will have according to article?

Vasconia

2017 is looking better and better for RB.

Manoah2u

Verstappen WDC
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

lio007

New Renault deal a formality:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -formality

It's amazing how things can turn around in a couple of months.

Phil

I'd say two factors: Renault realizing how difficult it is to get anywhere with their own factory team, despite improvements on the engine side and how powerful a good, working relationship with a proven successful team can be.

I think there is a point at which there must have been the realization that buying your own team (the Enstone team) and turning that into a WDC/WCC winning team is an investment that potentially takes years. Mercedes showed that is is possible, before that Redbull, but in both cases, there was years of planning and investments made. At some point, you might just have to concede that it's best to partner up with a proven team, learn as best as you can, perhaps accumulate know-how and talent until you are there yourself. We saw this exactly with Mercedes - driving alongside their partner McLaren for years until finally in 2012 going on to 2013, they accumulated talent (and driver!) and finally surpassed them.

At some point, I do wonder what Renault were thinking last year, also with the lack of updates surrounding their engine. There were mixed signals too - exit F1, buy a team, which team? etc. In the end, I do wonder if they at some point were hoping to push RedBull to the verge of Mateschitz wanting to pull out of F1 (as a result of not getting an engine from Ferrari, Honda and Mercedes, but not happy with Renault) to then buy them out themselves...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NL_Fer

Where would the Torro Rosso stand, if Renault had taken them over and pit the '16 PU in.

lio007

OneAlex

"After the reconstruction that Renault has undertaken, clear progress has been made which has made it logical to continue with the TAG Heuer badged engine."
Why do you suppose Renault allowed them to continue to be badged as Tag Heuer? I'm surprised they didn't insist on getting their name back on the side of the car again.

krisfx

OneAlex wrote:
"After the reconstruction that Renault has undertaken, clear progress has been made which has made it logical to continue with the TAG Heuer badged engine."
Why do you suppose Renault allowed them to continue to be badged as Tag Heuer? I'm surprised they didn't insist on getting their name back on the side of the car again.
Don't think it matters, everyone knows it's a Renault....

It's not as though F1 is going to attract casual fans in the current state it's in...

Webber2011

OneAlex wrote:
They do miss out on the glory if RBR start winning again, as they seem to be getting back to.

Maybe Red Bull had already signed something about engine naming rights with Tag for next year ?
If so, Renault would have known about it when they first agreed to it for this year I'd imagine.

Works both ways I guess.

If RBR struggled this year and even the next couple, they couldn't really slag Renault off badly without making Tag look bad.

F1NAC

Front left rim fused to brake housing. they tried to remove tyre with hammer but didn't work so they dismantled everything (VES car)
According to Ted and sounds of hammer from garage

trinidefender

Feeling really bad for Daniel right now. I know how it feels to be competing and having a great day when something totally out of your control completely screws it up.

iotar__

So how do you assess Red Bull's new recruit performance in Monaco? Firstly let's stick to facts only:
- crashed in FP3
- crashed in Q
- crashed in the race

That's just about records number of 3 crashes driving the best car at this track and with limited competition: Rosberg (race only), Ferrari (overall). 0/10. I also somehow think it's more important than 0,2 s gap in Barcelona practice.