2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

I think that the tem has had two great days with a lot of laps done by both drivers and what it seems a great pace in the stints. Ferrari is the only hope of this championship!

F1NAC

Seb named his car Margherita

FoxHound

F1NAC wrote:Seb named his car Margherita
Uncompromisingly boring as Pizza, the omens are very bland!
JET set

mkable1370

Does anyone know history? Beyond the mundane pizza, Margherita was the Queen consort of Italy at the turn of the 20th century. She quite literally gave birth to Italy's next victor (future King Victor Emmanual actually).

Anyway, here's to hoping Vettel's Margherita brings forth the next victor for Ferrari! =D>

godlameroso

It's cause she's a saucy lady.
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

Wow, it seems that there is not so much expectation around Ferrari on this forum. Thoughts about the teams performance?

Its clear that the strategy was not good, the lacked flexibility. Anyway I am doubtful that they could have won the race. The start was awesome but Mercedes is still faster, anyway the gap between both teams is smaller on Sundays rather than on Saturdays.

Juzh

Well, rosberg was unable to overtake kimi on the same tires at the start of the race. Hamilton was unable to overtake toro rosso on the same tires at the start of the race (merc 1.5s quicker in qulliy and it wasn't enough to overtake). If ferrari went onto medium after the restart victory would be highly likely if they can manage similar degradation rates to mercedes.

Phil

I thought the biggest revelation was the pace between Rosberg on mediums vs. Vettel on SS. Sure, Vettel was prolonging the life of his tires to a degree, but it was painfully aware that he would have to make a considerable gap to have *any* chance of seeing the rear of Rosberg on old mediums vs Vettel on newer softs before the end of the GP. And if Mercedes in race trim on half full tanks on medium tires are nearly as fast as Ferrari on two compound softer tires... well, it's not looking like a Ferrari WDC this year that's for sure.

The only way Vettel would have won the race in Melbourne is as I said in the race topic; No safety car or red-flag track position maintained and Rosberg on soft tires behind Vettel being held up. I think he could have snatched a win. That's it.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Alonsofor2017

Phil wrote:I thought the biggest revelation was the pace between Rosberg on mediums vs. Vettel on SS. Sure, Vettel was prolonging the life of his tires to a degree, but it was painfully aware that he would have to make a considerable gap to have *any* chance of seeing the rear of Rosberg on old mediums vs Vettel on newer softs before the end of the GP. And if Mercedes in race trim on half full tanks on medium tires are nearly as fast as Ferrari on two compound softer tires... well, it's not looking like a Ferrari WDC this year that's for sure.

The only way Vettel would have won the race in Melbourne is as I said in the race topic; No safety car or red-flag track position maintained and Rosberg on soft tires behind Vettel being held up. I think he could have snatched a win. That's it.
I think that Melbourne is one of the tracks that suits Mercedes car best, look how far ahead they've been here before, the fact that ferrari where so much closer to merc this time means that theylle be even closer and maybe ahead in tracks such as bahrain Malaysia and Singapore, it's not over yet ey

Vasconia

Take a look to the super dominant victory of last year and one can see that they should be closer to Mercedes. But yes, I want to see a clean start being Mercedes ahead(which will be very usual due to the bigger gap on Saturdays) in order to see if Ferrari can have a similar pace.

Phil

If Hamilton or Rosberg had been in the lead as of the first lap and we didn't have a safety car decreasing the gaps, I'm fairly confident we would have seen a just as dominant victory as last year. This time, the Mercedes was held up by two Ferraris for a third of the race, and by one Ferrari for over half of the race. At that point, the leading Mercedes was on an alternative strategy [SS-M] where a SS-S-S or SS-S-SS strategy would have definately yielded an overall faster lap delta on average.

I agree, on tracks where temperatures are warmer, we might see a much stronger Ferrari relative, as we already did last year, but equally, I think the qualifying gaps are too big to mask driver ability and on other tracks where overtaking is easier, it will be more difficult to profit of track-position as they did in Melbourne. It's not over, no, but I think this race showed quite clearly that Ferrari have a very steep mountain to climb if they want to be WDC contenders. Then again, a tight fight between Hamilton and Rosberg would mean a more equal split of points, so who knows, if Ferrari can get consistent 3rds, they'll be surprisingly close.

A simple illustration:
Hypothetically, 5 wins to both Hamilton Rosberg and 5 2nd places = 215 points after 10 races for each Hamilton and Rosberg. Vettel with 10 hypothetical 3rd places would be at 150 points, "only" trailing by 65 points (deficit of 6.5 points per race). If either Merc have a DNF within those 10 races that Vettel could capialize on by either winning or securing 2nd, he'd make good on 25-18 points relative to that Mercedes driver.

Now if Hamilton or Rosberg walk it with 8 wins vs 2 2nd places vs 10 3rd places, the order is different, meaning 236 points vs 194 vs. 150 points.

I think that Ferrari with a very good driver in a team operating on maximizing his chances [Vettel] vs Mercedes giving equal opportunities to both will put Ferrari closer in the WDC race than they are pace wise.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

If Hungary 2015 would have been the first race of 2015, so reminiscent of Australia 2016, everyone would have thought the same, that Ferrari is a match to Mercedes or ahead. This time, it is Ferrari who screwed up on strategy. And in Winter testing though, Strategy was supposed to be Ferrari's strength through which they put pressure on Mercedes to make errors!!!

giantfan10

Phil wrote:I thought the biggest revelation was the pace between Rosberg on mediums vs. Vettel on SS. Sure, Vettel was prolonging the life of his tires to a degree, but it was painfully aware that he would have to make a considerable gap to have *any* chance of seeing the rear of Rosberg on old mediums vs Vettel on newer softs before the end of the GP. And if Mercedes in race trim on half full tanks on medium tires are nearly as fast as Ferrari on two compound softer tires... well, it's not looking like a Ferrari WDC this year that's for sure.

Vettel was on used SS and Rosberg was on brand new Mediums after about 5 laps of Vettel pushing the SS fell off and the mediums kept on trucking..... are you seriously claiming this is some ominous indication?
Its cool that you think mercedes is the faster car...just use some statistics that back that up instead of the info you are using which amounts to absolutely nothing .
So vettel on new softs erased a 12 second gap in 15 laps to hamilton on used Mediums.... what does that mean? absolutely nothing just like Vettel on worn SS and rosberg on new Mediums were running similar lap times.
if the roles were reversed in both cases the result would have been exactly the same . Nice try though lol

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:If Hungary 2015 would have been the first race of 2015, so reminiscent of Australia 2016, everyone would have thought the same, that Ferrari is a match to Mercedes or ahead. This time, it is Ferrari who screwed up on strategy. And in Winter testing though, Strategy was supposed to be Ferrari's strength through which they put pressure on Mercedes to make errors!!!
Ferrari assumed that Mercedes would stick with the soft tire for Rosberg and they were wrong .....Teams do not know what tires are fitted during red flag stops so to call it a strategy error is to insinuate that ferrari knew that mercedes were going to the medium tire and made the decision to stick with the SS . There was no conscious decision to race worn supersofts against brand new mediums knowing they would have to stop again and Rosberg would not have to.

Phil

giantfan10 wrote:Vettel was on used SS and Rosberg was on brand new Mediums after about 5 laps of Vettel pushing the SS fell off and the mediums kept on trucking.....
That set he had on were the brand-new-unused SS he saved during Q3. He pitted on lap 13/14, hence by the time the race restarted after the red-flag, they were 3-5 laps old (lap 14 was an outlap, lap 17 the accident took place and slowed down the field considerably). Yes, Rosberg started the restart on never-used mediums at that point, but the big surprise was still how well that Mercedes kept up, on a tire that was two compounds harder and harder to warm up. Vettels tires were as good as they possibly could be. Vettel did his best lap on those tires on lap 24 - 6 laps after the race restarted and on tires that had done a total of 9~10 laps - a 1.29.951 - on average over that stint he was doing mid 1.30.xxx times. On lap 26, he started to drop consistently into the 1.31. He had driven out a gap of 3-4 seconds. Only on lap 30, after doing 16 laps on those tires did the times start to gradually move into the 1.32. where it remained until he pitted on lap 34.

Rosberg during the entire duration of this stint, was doing consistently somewhere between 1.30 and 1.32 times and continued to do that until the end of the GP, ending lap 57. Note, he did a 1:30.557 on lap 21 (vs Vettel low 1:30s), but the key point is, is that Rosberg was doing 1.30ties (high) around lap 44 too and again lap 51-52. Fantastic pace.

It's not that Vettels times weren't good - they were consistent with what you could expect given the laps he was doing at the start on a heavier car, also on SS tires - it's that the Mercedes pace on mediums was extraordinary, given the compound and the fact he did 39 laps on them.

Now Vettel on new softs, wasn't that impressive IMO. He was doing consistent mid to high ~1.30 - 1.31.5x times between lap 37 (he pitted on 34/35 rememer?) until he closed the gap to Lewis. Lewis on quite old mediums (older than Rosbergs) was also driving in traffic for a substantial time. Yet he was able to retain a pretty consistent pace of 1.31-1.32.

So perhaps before giving advice on using some statistics, I suggest you do the same and look at the actual data. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ormation-5
#Team44 supporter