2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
giantfan10
giantfan10

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

f1316 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Ferrari screwed up massivly today, and probably ruined their weekend.

But all is not lost yet. They showed good pace in FP3. The potential is there.
It looks like today Ferrari had issues similar to what Mercedes experienced in Singapore 2015. Conditions just went away from them. No heads need to role just yet - especially not the team principle's who has nothing to do with car & tyre setup.
Right, it can happen, but they seem to be struggling to get the best from the package consistently and I can't help but think the race team is not performing as well as last year. as opposed to the car being poor - I actually think it seems on the whole closer to the pace last year - but they are making set up/tyre/strategy mistakes.

Obviously crashes and reliability also don't help but that's understandable, these kind of set up dead ends shouldn't happen.
if you watched the onboards oversteer reared its ugly head in sector 3 i'm willing to bet that red bull will be in their usual 5th and 6th by lap5

f1316
f1316

Just seems really bizarre - and not particularly wise - to go off in a different set up direction post FP3, which then caused the oversteer. It speaks of desperation, not clarity of thinking.

Maybe it'll all fall into place in the race, or they'll get some luck for a change, but they don't need to keep making it harder for themselves - a normal progression from FP3 to Q3 would have secured them row 2 and put pressure on Mercedes.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

People should stop making excuses. When Ferrari have a good practice session, we hear that ok but they had good pace in fp1 or fp2 or fp3...free practice is meaningless when on qualifying day or race day you keep screwing. Maybe the team needs more top class staff like engineers or mechanics. The team seems to have gone backwards. Since the ban of track testing Ferrari have suffered massively. maybe their simulations and cfd tools are not equivalent to what other big teams have or they don't have the right amount of staff to make a breakthrough. This year they should be a lot closer to Merc but they don't seem to. Barcelona is not any track...it's the track that tells you where you are in the pecking order.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Der_Meister45
Der_Meister45

mika vs michael wrote:People should stop making excuses. When Ferrari have a good practice session, we hear that ok but they had good pace in fp1 or fp2 or fp3...free practice is meaningless when on qualifying day or race day you keep screwing. Maybe the team needs more top class staff like engineers or mechanics. The team seems to have gone backwards. Since the ban of track testing Ferrari have suffered massively. maybe their simulations and cfd tools are not equivalent to what other big teams have or they don't have the right amount of staff to make a breakthrough. This year they should be a lot closer to Merc but they don't seem to. Barcelona is not any track...it's the track that tells you where you are in the pecking order.
It's what every critic says every year. Merc have clearly the advantage, I'll agree. But other then Merc I'd say its a fairly good field. I love'd when Merc too them selves out =D>

But as afar as the team goes, I think that they jumped the gun strategy wise on SV. But who knows... Their rate of areo development hasn't kept up to the other teams. But as this is an intermediate year why spend all your CFD on this year when you can spend it on next year....

Vasconia

The race was better but its was very disappointing to loose this chance of winning the race. I still ask myself why Sebastian pitted so much earlier than Ricciardo. This could have cost him the third position and a possible win on normal conditions.

wickedz50
wickedz50

I think its good for Ferrari to have not won yesterday. Reason being the win will solely go down in the public domain as "Ferrari won because the Merc drivers took each other out". RBR had won 3 races in 2014 in cases where the Merc had reliability issues and others so yesterday was a repeat. I will like to see Ferrari win on merit against Merc. Its frustrating to see Ferrari got beaten by a less powerful PU but I must say that the Renault PU deficiency gets backed up by the wonderfully designed Newey car. Ferrari has a lot of work in hand. I hope they focus equally on the aero and the PU at the same time.
I only fear that in coming days they will fall from their dominant No 2 position to other teams. Yesterdays race should be an eye opener. Now instead of focusing how to beat the Merc they should be more careful to make sure they are not beaten by RBR in 2016 any further. It will be a real shame if they lose No 2 spot in the championship standing.

Vasconia

Monaco wont be an easy race for Ferrari where they will be beaten by RB for sure. Lets hope that things go back to normality in Canada.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Vasconia wrote:Monaco wont be an easy race for Ferrari where they will be beaten by RB for sure. Lets hope that things go back to normality in Canada.
I expect it to happen too. Somehow I feel that Monaco will be a race full of incidents. Young Champ Max is my man, how badly Ferrari will regret of not offering him the seat straight away from 2017?
Ferrari needed some fire from the young man... now can Ferrari offer Sainz a seat next year?

Juzh

On soft tires ferrari was clearly superior to both red bulls. Vettel had no problem closing down the gap after he overtook sainz. Something must be done for the mediums on which red bull was much more competitive and even then rai was visibly faster than ves in the last stint. I don't expect them to struggle too much in monaco with ultra softs available there.

evered7
evered7

I get that Max is a prime guy for the job at the moment but Ferrari wouldn't be worried about not poaching him for 2017. They have Vettel and they need a car that is super fast and reliable. Vettel will do the job with aplomb.

Don't think Max would have made any difference last year or this in comparison to what Vettel achieved.

Also the Spanish GP layout could have masked Max's impressive win. I mean Pastor won here as well and was chased by Alonso all the way.

He will do great I believe but to think that RB have upstaged Ferrari based on the last race, seems a little premature.

giantfan10
giantfan10

evered7 wrote:I get that Max is a prime guy for the job at the moment but Ferrari wouldn't be worried about not poaching him for 2017. They have Vettel and they need a car that is super fast and reliable. Vettel will do the job with aplomb.

Don't think Max would have made any difference last year or this in comparison to what Vettel achieved.

Also the Spanish GP layout could have masked Max's impressive win. I mean Pastor won here as well and was chased by Alonso all the way.

He will do great I believe but to think that RB have upstaged Ferrari based on the last race, seems a little premature.
This! As usual overeaction reigns supreme after every race... its next to impossible to pass in Barcelona and that is why Max won... in a slower car with clean air while his attacker in a faster car delt with the massive loss of downforce at the final corner before the drs zone which happens to be the only small chance of executing a pass. The driver in the lead doesnt make a huge mistake and thats pretty much the end of that

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:On soft tires ferrari was clearly superior to both red bulls. Vettel had no problem closing down the gap after he overtook sainz. Something must be done for the mediums on which red bull was much more competitive and even then rai was visibly faster than ves in the last stint. I don't expect them to struggle too much in monaco with ultra softs available there.
No, but RB has clearly a better chasis so they will be more competitive. Thankfully at least US should work well for Ferrari.

Vasconia

evered7 wrote:I get that Max is a prime guy for the job at the moment but Ferrari wouldn't be worried about not poaching him for 2017. They have Vettel and they need a car that is super fast and reliable. Vettel will do the job with aplomb.

It obviously helped Max but come one, first race with RB, 18 years old and chased by a world champion during 20 laps. Its super impressive. Yes, he would have been overtaken in Canada, for example, but its still awesome.

iulian_florea
iulian_florea

Most likely Ferrari will benefit from the summer heat in the next few months with their tyre temp. issues. I don't think Barcelona tests will help them too much in understading the tyres. If it were a setup problem, they would have discovered a fix by now. It may be a chassis design problem.
In Barcelona, their last sector seemed quite weak, the same as last year. Interesting fact, considering the car is totally different this year.

ferkan
ferkan

Ferrari had better S3 in FPs then in Q. In FP they had better S3 then any other team bar Merc. Croffty mentioned that Ferrari confirmed they except tough race and that its not representative of cars performance.

Something has gone really wrong, but there is no way RB is that much faster then Ferrari in S3, if at all. Maurizio today said they dont have problems with low speed corners, but they have problems with certain combination of temperature, tires and track conditions and they have identified the problem. He expects team to fix it pronto.