2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

bhall II wrote:I don't know what in the world Marchionne hopes to achieve by conducting meetings with underlings.
From the motorsport article
Marchionne is determined to find out whether or not there is a belief from the shop floor that more potential can be extracted from the SF16-H
Sounds like it's about wether or not to continue 2016 development, or to fully focus on 2017.

TAG

It's starting to seem to me that building a championship F1 team is like losing weight, and getting fit, EVERYBODY knows how to do it, the trick is in the execution of it. You'd think after a while of rinse lather repeat, they'd figure out how to break the cycle.

...around the 8:15 mark.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II
bhall II

Yeah, I don't think there's any mystery to it, at least not when it comes to laying the foundation...
BBC, May 27, 2014 wrote:"There is a wealth of talent at Ferrari, the experience and quality of the people on the technical side is a match for any team," said Allison.

[...]

"It is a question of giving them the encouragement to actually go off and do more unusual things and then have the time to look at them and know that if they fail it's OK because there's still time to put a back-up plan in place and for that to work," Allison said.

"Creativity and originality will only come if you set out to allow the engineers in your organisation the space and the time to do that.

"If you force them to operate with their back against the wall, up against deadlines that are very tight, then there is no time for them to think about how they might approach something differently."
Also, we have to bear in mind that SF16-H is the first car wholly designed within the current organizational structure. It also represents a sea change in virtually every area of design.

I think this team just needs to somehow stop tripping over itself.

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:Maybe what this should tell you is that it's not criticism that people object to - it's the seemingly baseless vitriol that you generally aim toward Ferrari (and its fans for daring to hope for victory).
Ignorance is suicidal.
Well, I hardly care for the emotions of people here about what pleases their senses, with respect to how the criticism should be dished out. If you have been hardwired to ONLY UNDERSTAND the criticism, if it is offered with heaps of sweet candies and sugar coated, that's definitely not for me. So, it's hardly concerning for me about people's outlook towards my posts. If the fanboys find solace in eloquence of the explanation about the same sh**, I can't say much about it,
Someone like Ben, who probably understand the points that I put out, WITHOUT feeling offended, though he is also someone who hugely supports Ferrari, he does such a brilliant job of replying. Instead of hurling abuse, he does try to put out practical explanations. Neither of us can help Ferrari with, either my "so called vitriol" or Ben with his beautiful ways of explaining the under lying problems. But, the fact is, we both feel for Ferrari in different ways.
Scuderia1967 wrote:So, according to Mister "I hate Ferrari and to prove my point my profile picture features the helmet of a driver who won 5 of his 7 championships driving that very same red italian car" ,
Kiddo, I enjoyed every bit of those red cars (all 11 of them, not just the 5) that the LEGEND drove and I still have tons of those pictures and many of those small scale radio models with me. But that success safely sits in the past.

I have never uttered a bad word for MS, Todt, Brawn, Rory and anyone of those who made the Ferrari great. They commanded heaps and heaps of respect. But under the shadow of that glorious past, the current set of a** ho*** can't be respected, who are responsible for the current apathy. Their uselessness can't be defended. If Marchionne need to get down the root levels to identify those who are responsible for this sham, I think it would do a world of good for Ferrari.

Marchionne holds Maranello talks amid Ferrari's struggles
It is possible that Marchionne could take action after these meetings to tidy up internal structures – moving around those staff who he believes have not been exploited to their best, and moving aside those whom he believes have been holding things back.

FW17

Marchionne should play his games at the FIA and FOM level and not in the engineering departments of Maranello.

Ferrari still has enough clout within F1 to have its way, during Micheal's time they had there way in everything. Now Ferrari top management are just sitting around shooting the breeze.

Marchionne should be playing political games that benefit Ferrari in trying to get testing back which Luca failed to veto (a stupid decision in the same league as Whitmarsh giving Mercedes engines to Brawn), rather than trying to gain control over BE and FOM. Last years games with regard to independent engines was needless, Ferrari did not benefit in anyway. They did not use there clout in F1 for the last few years in anyway the last few years to further their cause in anyway.

Why did they agree to 5 engines a year?
Why did they agree to gearbox rule?
Why did they agree to 100kg/hr rule

iotar__

FW17 wrote:Marchionne should play his games at the FIA and FOM level and not in the engineering departments of Maranello.

Ferrari still has enough clout within F1 to have its way, during Micheal's time they had there way in everything. Now Ferrari top management are just sitting around shooting the breeze.

Marchionne should be playing political games that benefit Ferrari in trying to get testing back which Luca failed to veto (a stupid decision in the same league as Whitmarsh giving Mercedes engines to Brawn), rather than trying to gain control over BE and FOM. Last years games with regard to independent engines was needless, Ferrari did not benefit in anyway. They did not use there clout in F1 for the last few years in anyway the last few years to further their cause in anyway.

Why did they agree to 5 engines a year?
Why did they agree to gearbox rule?
Why did they agree to 100kg/hr rule
150 points. What make you think that adding test or two will make Ferrari car quicker? The logic: when testing was unlimited Ferrari were winning = adding tests helps them. Based on what? Did adding in-season tests recently help them at all? F1 is very different now in terms of aero, competition, sim tools, number of races, development cycle etc. There's no coming back to many tests era. Stop clinging to Brawn too. Merc didn't need him to win.
Why did they agree to 5 engines a year?Why did they agree to gearbox rule?Why did they agree to 100kg/hr rule
- They agreed because new engine rules were a huge advantage for Ferrari - like last season. When engines are closer like now competition (Red Bull) have it easier. BTW that's the part of their political influence - new engines and keeping them, rules against winning competition - RB (including reliability and fuel rules)
- Will they be beating Merc/RB with 6-7 engines/ different gerbox rules? Is this because of their rather small reliability problems in that area recently? Can't blame it for most races: second driver in Bahrain, Russia (self inflicted), China, Canada, GB, Australia etc.. Part of it is normal (check Rosberg's engine and other problems in the last three seasons), part of it are costs of catching up after being behind in '14. As for Marchionne this part it brilliant:
Motorsport.com has learned that he has held a series of key meetings at Maranello with the chassis and aerodynamic departments – with a particular focus on speaking to those who report to department heads as well as their juniors.

Marchionne is determined to find out whether or not there is a belief from the shop floor that more potential can be extracted from the SF16-H, and if the true state of progress of the car is as he has been led to believe by senior management.

It is possible that Marchionne could take action after these meetings to tidy up internal structures – moving around those staff who he believes have not been exploited to their best, and moving aside those whom he believes have been holding things back.
- How would he know about state of progress or who to move? He's clueless about F1 and not close to the team. Just posturing (I'm doing something). How would he be making specific aero department changes?? Get Newey?
- who's this senior management (looking for scapegoats)? Allison, Arrivabene?
- didn't talk to drivers ? I forgot, they are brilliant and as good as anyone, he said it himself :wink: .
- Don't expect 'Allison's side' - Ferrari PR is filtered BS, check this one mid-season interview. Those marketing written phrases "not in all races" that miss the reality by a long mile.

analyst_one
analyst_one

Sergio Marchionne with his turnaround of both Fiat and Chrysler has been widely recognized as one of the best auto executives of all time. This kind of success is rarely achieved if you do not have great managerial skills. It does not matter if he does not know F1 at all. He did turn around these cos. without any background in auto engineering.

In my view, the best managers, be it in business, sports or elsewhere need to get their hands dirty and improve their understanding by meeting people across the org., not just from the reporting heads. In any case what's he to do ? - not only has the team slid backwards (over last year), seemingly no one in the team is able to explain why. Any self respecting manager in his position would have done the same. It's important to know why.

bhall II
bhall II

While I'm definitely not an expert in the ways of finance, I can't help but think it's probably much easier for someone to improve a company's fortunes if he can freely dip into another company's fortunes...
Bloomberg, Oct 12, 2015 wrote:Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s spinoff of Ferrari will end up raising more than $4 billion for the Italian-American automaker as it squeezes a higher cash payment out of the supercar brand before it becomes independent.

In addition to nearly $1 billion in proceeds from an initial public offering, Ferrari will pay Fiat Chrysler 2.8 billion euros ($3.2 billion), according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The payout, called the FCA Note, was 2.5 billion euros in a Sept. 22 document on the transaction and was originally supposed to be 2.25 billion euros.

The increase shows how Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne is taking advantage of Ferrari’s allure to shore up Fiat Chrysler’s finances. The spinoff, which has been in the works for about a year, is critical to help finance a 48 billion-euro investment program that focuses on expanding the Jeep, Alfa Romeo and Maserati nameplates globally.
This guy's got an agenda, and I think he's made clear the master he serves.

TAG

And the agenda hasn't gone as planned... it's about 20% down from the IPO price and has floundered there since inception in a market that's seen record highs of late.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Scuderia1967

GPR-A wrote:
f1316 wrote:Maybe what this should tell you is that it's not criticism that people object to - it's the seemingly baseless vitriol that you generally aim toward Ferrari (and its fans for daring to hope for victory).
Ignorance is suicidal.
Well, I hardly care for the emotions of people here about what pleases their senses, with respect to how the criticism should be dished out. If you have been hardwired to ONLY UNDERSTAND the criticism, if it is offered with heaps of sweet candies and sugar coated, that's definitely not for me. So, it's hardly concerning for me about people's outlook towards my posts. If the fanboys find solace in eloquence of the explanation about the same sh**, I can't say much about it,
Someone like Ben, who probably understand the points that I put out, WITHOUT feeling offended, though he is also someone who hugely supports Ferrari, he does such a brilliant job of replying. Instead of hurling abuse, he does try to put out practical explanations. Neither of us can help Ferrari with, either my "so called vitriol" or Ben with his beautiful ways of explaining the under lying problems. But, the fact is, we both feel for Ferrari in different ways.
Scuderia1967 wrote:So, according to Mister "I hate Ferrari and to prove my point my profile picture features the helmet of a driver who won 5 of his 7 championships driving that very same red italian car" ,
Kiddo, I enjoyed every bit of those red cars (all 11 of them, not just the 5) that the LEGEND drove and I still have tons of those pictures and many of those small scale radio models with me. But that success safely sits in the past.

I have never uttered a bad word for MS, Todt, Brawn, Rory and anyone of those who made the Ferrari great. They commanded heaps and heaps of respect. But under the shadow of that glorious past, the current set of a** ho*** can't be respected, who are responsible for the current apathy. Their uselessness can't be defended. If Marchionne need to get down the root levels to identify those who are responsible for this sham, I think it would do a world of good for Ferrari.

Marchionne holds Maranello talks amid Ferrari's struggles
Man, I'm so not going to waste time with you

Thunder

A German site (note this is not the most reputative Site, so take it with a good Pinch of Salt) reports James Allison is set to quit his Job at Ferrari and move Back to England.

Reasons are he and Marchionne don't agree over "Strategies and Work Methods" and that he wants to be closer to his Children after the tragic passing of his Wife.
http://www.sport.de/news/ne2330819/ferr ... -trennung/

Edit: more Sources
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2016/07 ... leave.html

And apparently that:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/18-07- ... 6262.shtml
Last edited by Thunder on 19 Jul 2016, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

lio007

Thunders wrote:A German site (note this is not the most reputative Site, so take it with a good Pinch of Salt) reports James Allison is set to quit his Job at Ferrari and move Back to England.

Reasons are he and Marchionne don't agree over "Strategies and Work Methods" and that he wants to be closer to his Children after the tragic passing of his Wife.
He may also have an offer from Renault:
http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/9 ... lison.html

iotar__

Thunders wrote:A German site (note this is not the most reputative Site, so take it with a good Pinch of Salt) reports James Allison is set to quit his Job at Ferrari and move Back to England.

And apparently that:
Gazzetta.it is the source, you can find English translations. So according to those rumours it turns out that below top senior aero people told Marchionne to fire Allison ;-). The only small problem is replacement.

If they don't improve they may lose Vettel, clearly bigger asset and with no performance problems (like Silverstone, China, Canada and other races) or even Raikkonen. Funny how they (media) now remembered Allison was hired by Montezemolo/Domenicali.

bhall II
bhall II

Marchionne must be one of those Toyota-style idiots who thinks throwing money at a problem makes it vanish immediately.
F1T, Sep 6, 2015 wrote:"This year, [SF15-T] was not quite ready for the season,” added Marchionne.

According to him it was too late to implement serious changes in the design of the 2015 car after the the [dismissal] of key personnel. For next year, however, the team had the time needed to start a new concept. Ferrari also raised the budget available for the Formula 1 department.

"So we started on the new car very early and have invested more resources.”
Just for shits and giggles now that Allison is apparently being scapegoated due of the appearance of the team's progress, let's take a brief look at the outbound technical director's latest stint with the Scuderia.

He rejoined the team from Lotus in September of 2013, which means he had no impact on the design of F138 at all. By that time, F14 T had been on the drawing board for two years, which means he had no impact on the fundamentals of that car. SF15-T was designed by someone who was fired because of his inability to design...
grandprix247.com, Sep 1, 2015 wrote:But Tombazis, who claims he is now shaping up to return to F1, told Corriere della Sera newspaper that the apparent fruit of the revolution – the SF15-T car now raced by Sebastian Vettel – was actually designed by him.

“I was working until early December, when it was already in production,” he said. “I just wonder what they would have said if it had been a bad car rather than a good one.”
James Allison wrote:[SF16-H is] certainly a very bold car – but it needs to be. If we look at last year’s model we were working to improve a baseline that was really quite poor.
Add it all up, and you'll quickly discover that the current technical team was given no more than roughly 12-18 months, and but one clean sheet design, to accomplish something that required three years and a massive change to the engine regulations for Mercedes, three years and a massive change to the chassis regulations for Red Bull, and five years of relative stability for Shumacher-era Ferrari.

So, exactly what did this dude expect?

Sergio Marchionne: Make Ferrari Great Again
Last edited by bhall II on 19 Jul 2016, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

And apparently that:
Seriously, Ferrari needs Brawn and a non-Italian team director.