2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
giantfan10

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

iotar__ wrote:
SR71 wrote:Alonso was fired.
The way Marchionne is obsessing about Brawn in any capacity (this consulting part time which is not practical at all) shows priorities, chaos and might suggest more accurate picture of this split.
So a journalist writes an article speculating about Brawn...Brawn in response says he has had no contact with Ferrari and therefore has not said no to any request.

And then you come up with this gem about obsession and so on...... lol priceless!!

ripper

atlantis wrote:
ripper wrote:Rumor on italian newspaper: Ferrari is looking for Paddy Lowe
Source?
http://www.lastampa.it/2016/07/29/sport ... B14FAE87F9

atlantis

ripper wrote:
atlantis wrote:
ripper wrote:Rumor on italian newspaper: Ferrari is looking for Paddy Lowe
Source?
http://www.lastampa.it/2016/07/29/sport ... B14FAE87F9
Thanks

zeph

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... ri-go-here

I think Ferrari's problems are only just beginning...

scuderiafan

Funnily enough, the reason Ferrari automobiles exist today is because of Enzo's passion for racing and the necessity to fund the Scuderia. Now it seems that the automobile sector of Ferrari may be holding back the racing side.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

TAG

Hadn't actually noticed this until today, Ferrari Names Sergio Marchionne as CEO I guess it flew under the radar but Marchionne seems to be wrapping his tendrils tighter around the Ferrari brand. Clearly the goal from the beginning is to not focus on making the profit from the sale of cars but from the brand itself, licensing. The worst thing that could happen to that plan is the Scuderia, the crown jewel of the brand image deeply struggling in the sport it practically owns.

Anyone that's likely to buy Ferrari brand eu de toilette isn't going to have their finger on the pulse of the current F1 standings but a protracted period of Ferrari struggling is not something that Sergio is going to be keen on.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II

TAG wrote:Clearly the goal from the beginning is to not focus on making the profit from the sale of cars but from the brand itself, licensing. The worst thing that could happen to that plan is the Scuderia, the crown jewel of the brand image deeply struggling in the sport it practically owns.
I dunno. He's boosting production by 30% and introducing modular platform design. For a marque ostensibly built upon exclusivity, I can't see how either move fits.

iotar__

scuderiafan wrote:Funnily enough, the reason Ferrari automobiles exist today is because of Enzo's passion for racing and the necessity to fund the Scuderia. Now it seems that the automobile sector of Ferrari may be holding back the racing side.
A. That's ancient history. B. I think it (car company as the reason for failures) applies to McLaren but not Ferrari because for them situation has been like that for a long time, connection between Fiat and racing team was similar in Schumacher days. The reasons are outside of this connection: competition, F1's prize system and how it affects decisions.

Renault is a good example with their fake or real surprise how tough this season turned out. Half a year of stalling, negotiating the price and F1 contract was worth for them the time they won't get back and which is very costly in sporting terms. Toyota would be a good example in some areas like marketing and drivers choices. They realised too late that it cost them results, missing their goals (race win) and before going belly up they suddenly wanted Kubica. I wish something like that would happen to Ferrari but we all know it won't with the amount of Ecclestone's money they get.

In McLaren's case road car division is the biggest reason for their struggles. They could have been current works team with most likely all the championships but preferred to compete with Mercedes and forced them to create own team.

TAG

bhall II wrote:I dunno. He's boosting production by 30% and introducing modular platform design. For a marque ostensibly built upon exclusivity, I can't see how either move fits.
Maybe he's smarter than us both and is going to reduce costs without increasing volume? I mean without increasing volume in the Ferrari marque. But that Alfa 4C is a hot little car and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Maserati Quatroportte.

It's just that people don't buy Alfa Romeo eau de toilette.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Ferrari is boosting production by 30%, from ~7,000 units per year to ~9,000, and they'll soon all share the same platform.

Publicly traded companies gotta grow. That's the only language Wall St understands.

TAG

I'm seeing it from the other perspective perhaps. You can't keep up exclusivity *AND* price if you sell more cars. It's going to be one or the other, and I think Marchionne's plan was to bleed some of the technology from Ferrari down and push the mass produce the Maserati and Alfa. There's cost reduction in sharing a platform amongst the brand, but I don't think he'll be looking to dilute it, he cant if the point is to make the profit from selling expensive umbrellas, flip flops and eau de toilette.
Last edited by TAG on 01 Aug 2016, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II

I just struggle to see how a modular platform designed to accommodate front- and mid-engine layouts won't compromise one or both. In other words, I'm beginning to believe Sergio Marchionne is Satan in a sweater.

Incidentally, this has always been my favorite Ferrari trinket...

Because yeah.

dans79

God that's one hideous surfboard !
197 104 103 7

wickedz50

Management on both technical and commercial is costing this team very badly. Gross mismanagement of resources. The performance is either going down or the other teams are going up with their performance. There is some static problem and crew is clueless. Times ahead is testing. Its amazing that whenever they have pushed in the pedals hard for their championship quest they find themselves in no-mans land and the fall is huge. Do they have a roadmap or vision of any kind or they are just not ready to accept their mistakes? Can anyone analyze their woes in more clear terms for us to understand better? This is going to be a definitely a classis B-School case study with regard to efficiency and leadership. How can the board accept such ridiculous leadership? there is no passion left.

Jolle

bhall II wrote:
TAG wrote:Clearly the goal from the beginning is to not focus on making the profit from the sale of cars but from the brand itself, licensing. The worst thing that could happen to that plan is the Scuderia, the crown jewel of the brand image deeply struggling in the sport it practically owns.
I dunno. He's boosting production by 30% and introducing modular platform design. For a marque ostensibly built upon exclusivity, I can't see how either move fits.
For a company like Ferrari (with Maserati and Alfa) it's the only way to stay on top. The competition is ahead on this field. Look at McLaren. They have, within a few years quite a portfolio of cars all based on a modular design (carbon tub, 3.8l V8T) and already competing with Ferrari on Ferrari level where Ferrari has no cars. AMG is doing the same in a lesser extend, with their 4.0v8T.
I can see two (carbon) bases, a v6/8 mid engine for Alfa and Ferrari and a v8/12 front engine tub for Maserati/Ferrari. This way they are more flexible to follow the market and without high costs introduce new models instead of fiddling around with "old" models.
Basically, away from the Porsche way (countless evolutions of the 911) towards a McLaren setup (different models around the same base).