2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Martin_F

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Jolle wrote: Do they have the Martini deal also for next year?
I wondered about that myself. Does anybody know?

Bomber_Pilot

Martin_F wrote:
IIRC, they signed a 5year deal, starting in 2014.

domh245

According to this website it is a 5 year deal, so will run out at the end of 2019.

Jolle

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Martin_F wrote:
IIRC, they signed a 5year deal, starting in 2014.
Aha, if that is the case, they must be investing heavily into their 2017/18 car, those are the years that matter to secure a new deal.
Then the current drop-off is almost a good thing (think back to one of their worst seasons ever, 2013)

LookBackTime

SILVERSTONE TEST - DAY 1

12 JUL 2016
Driver: Alex Lynn
Chassis / Engine: FW38-01 / PU106C Hybrid
Weather: Cold and dry in the morning, rain in the afternoon
Maximum air & track temps: 20ºC / 17ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: Our running was affected by rain this afternoon, which is a shame because it limited the work we could complete today. We did some pretty reasonable testing this morning though, looking at mechanical set-ups, aerodynamic work and testing some new components on the car, and that’s something we’ll be looking to push forward with tomorrow when Valtteri is in the car and we expect better weather.

Alex Lynn: I think we had a really productive morning. We got a lot done, collected a lot of interesting data for the team and completed many laps on the medium compound tyre. It was a shame I didn’t get to try out the soft tyre because the car felt really nice in the high-speed sections on the mediums. It was a bit of a shame that it was such a wet afternoon as well, but it is what it is with Silverstone playing its usual part. So aside from the weather setbacks in the afternoon, it was a good day.

Alex Lynn: 1.34.433 (3rd) on lap 24/54.

Quickest time: F. Alonso, 1:31.290 on lap 32/105.

The Williams Mercedes FW38 will be back on track tomorrow for day two of the test with Valtteri Bottas at the wheel.

domh245

You would have thought that they would be glad to have some rain, it'd be a chance to see how the car behaves and to trial some setup changes for wet running

LookBackTime

SILVERSTONE TEST - DAY 2

13 JUL 2016
Driver: Valtteri Bottas
Chassis / Engine: FW38-01 / PU106C Hybrid
Weather: Warm and dry in the morning, rain in the early afternoon, warm and dry late afternoon
Maximum air & track temps: 20ºC / 17ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: This morning we did some medium length runs to look at first lap performance and tyre degradation with various mechanical set-ups. We had a new front suspension and an alternative rear suspension that we worked through. Most of the afternoon was spent looking at mechanical set-up work but predominantly aero testing on the soft tyres. We have to choose which tyres we bring to a test so we have to choose the appropriate tyre for what we want to do. For this reason we used the medium tyre for the longer mechanical runs and the soft tyre for the shorter aero runs. All-in-all it was a very successful day to end the test.

Valtteri Bottas: The morning session was very good. We focused on high fuel, longer runs and got 100% of our test programme done, with some interesting results. The weather was good in the morning so we were able to collect plenty of data. In the afternoon we had a bit of a rain shower, which cost us a bit of time so we completed most of our planned programme. We continued with some high fuel runs early on in the afternoon but towards the end of the session we switched our focus to some aero testing. I think all-in-all with the weather conditions we had it was a very good day. We have lots of data to analyse and I really enjoyed being back in the car, as always.

Valtteri Bottas: 1.32.423 (6th) on lap 86/98.

Quickest time: K. Raikkonen, 1:30.665 on lap 83/103.

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS ANNOUNCES NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH THALES

20 JUL 2016
Williams is pleased to announce a new technical partnership with Thales, the leader in critical information systems, cyber security and data protection.

As part of the agreement Thales will deliver state-of-the-art cyber security solutions for real-time global telemetry transmission to both WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING and Williams Advanced Engineering, the engineering services and technology division of Williams.

Thales designs, develops and operates resilient and high-performance critical information systems supported by its 2,000 cyber security experts and world class data protection and digital trust management solutions, protecting mission critical data anywhere data resides. Cyber security, especially data protection, is of the utmost importance in the competitive world of Formula One.

The expertise brought by Thales will assist Williams in protecting its confidential high-value data. Thales Datacryptor 5000 delivers high speed data protection with state-of-the-art throughput enhancement and low latency to ensure high assurance, real-time global telemetry transmission from the pitlane back to Williams’ headquarters. Furthermore, with an increasing number of projects being undertaken for external customers through Williams Advanced Engineering, data protection and security has become a priority across the Williams Group.

Speaking about the new partnership Marc Darmon, Executive Vice-President, Secure Communication and Information Systems for Thales said; “Thales is a world class cyber security expert and a globally recognised systems integrator, delivering safety and security critical systems in challenging environments such as Aerospace, Space, Defence, Finance, IT and Technology and Ground Transportation. This agreement builds on the already strong existing relationship between our two companies and our combined skills and expertise. It clearly illustrates Thales’s commitment to accompany its clients in their digital transformation where cyber security is a vital requirement.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal and Commercial Director of Williams, added; “Williams has undergone a significant digital transformation over the past two years. We are revolutionising our IT infrastructure to make sure that we are well placed to continue innovating. With the help of Thales, we will be introducing cyber security systems that keep our data secure from wherever we are in the world.”

From Wikipedia:

"Thales Group (French: [talɛs]) is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets. Its headquarters are in La Défense[2] (the business district of Paris), and its stock is listed on the Euronext Paris.

The company changed its name to Thales (from the Greek philosopher Thales,[3] pronounced [talɛs] reflecting its pronunciation in French) from Thomson-CSF in December 2000 shortly after the £1.3 billion acquisition of Racal Electronics plc, a UK defence electronics group. It is partially state-owned by the French government,[4] and has operations in more than 50 countries. It has 68,000 employees and generated €13.03 billion in revenues in 2011. The Group is ranked as the 475th largest company in the world by Fortune 500 Global.[5] It is also the 10th largest defence contractor in the world[6] and 55% of its total sales are military sales.[4]"

sosic2121

Nickel wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Stalker1 wrote:I do not believe in luck! At least, I do not believe in luck without doing anything to be lucky.
Perhaps you should look up that race where Panis won the Monaco grand prix..........
Panis was the fastest driver to not crash or break down that day.
I'm not sure I call that luck.
indeed. everyone can drive crazy fast and then crash. but to be the fastest of the people that haven't crashed it's not luck.
I wish we have more gravel traps today, so when you make a mistake you have to pay the price...

Manoah2u

come on people, you guys are extremely overestamating that win. Panis was lucky period. The ligier was not reliable, and could have broken down anytime, regardless of panis' driving qualities.
panis had the lucky tactic play of switching to tires that helped him compared to the other 2 drivers on the track. yes, only 3 cars at the end. Panis was lucked out from other drivers in far better cars that had technical problems (suspension, oilpump, etc) and others colliding. the race ended 3 laps in advance, with the possibility that if they went the full 3 last laps there could have been less than 3 drivers finishing, perhaps even causing a problem for the podium.

Lets put it like this. Would friggin haryanto be a good driver or was the fastest driver this weekend in hungary, if for some reason the entire field crashes in a couple of corners, paired with rain, and engine blowups , gearbox failures, tires exploding (remember 2013?) and a lucky pitstop break whilst the other 2 cars left had some tech issues?
would you hold the lantern up for haryanto our would you call him the biggest lucker of 2016?

i have nothing against panis, and im happy he won that crazy race, but it was nothing but pure luck to win that race.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Facts Only

There's no such thing as luck, just different perceptions of events.

Panis and Ligier where the best man and team on that day.

Lets break down you statement though Manoah (because I'm bored at work)

"The ligier was not reliable, and could have broken down anytime"
Unless it had a 100% failure rate it would have finished some races and a wet race at Monaco is probably one of the least stressful races for an F1 car, so the race an unreliable car is most likely to finish. Probability, not luck

panis had the lucky tactic play of switching to tires that helped him compared to the other 2 drivers on the track
The three drivers didn't draw straws as to who went with what strategy, it was a conscious decision made by Ligier. The right decision, not luck.

Panis was lucked out from other drivers in far better cars that had technical problems (suspension, oilpump, etc)
All the cars were competing in the same race, reliability problems come from the car manufacturing and design. Maybe the Ligier was better able to cope with the wet conditions or bumpy track better. Or maybe Panis could see the carnage going on around him and drove the car very sparingly knowing that just finishing the race would guarantee a good result. Either way that's skill and not luck

and others colliding
Again see point above, Panis likely realised that in that kind of carnage just finishing would give him and the team a great result so drove a careful race. That's good foresight, not luck.

And yes if Haryanto won a race because everyone else crashed or broke their cars, I would consider that him and Manor would be the best driver and team on the day because they didn't crash or breakdown.

I tend to find that "luck" is an excuse wheeled out by underachievers to either take away from the achievements of those doing better then them "they have all the luck" or excuse their own lack of effort or skill "its always bad luck for me"
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

LookBackTime

Bottas: It's "not normal" for Williams to be out-developed by Force India

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... ia-800691/

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing 22m22 minutes ago
A couple more pitstops for our #FastestPitCrew to round off the session #FP2 #HungarianGP

LookBackTime

HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX PRACTICE

22 JUL 2016
Hungaroring, Hungary
4.381km / 2.722 miles

FP1
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 22-25°C / 26-42°C
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:24.154 (12th)
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:24.370 (13th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:21.347

FP2
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 27°C-28°C / 40°C-48°C
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:22.681 (12th)
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:22.773 (14th)
Quickest time: N. Rosberg 1:20.435

Objectives: Aero evaluations, rear suspension configuration, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: I think overall today has been a positive start to what I hope is a positive weekend. After Silverstone we regrouped and tried to understand what, if anything, could be causing our poor run of form. So today was very much a continuation of the Silverstone test. We’ve been looking at different rear suspension configurations in both FP1 and FP2, and I think we’ve found a reasonable direction with it. We will go through the data to ensure that we’ve done everything right. When we’ve had the car in the correct configuration we’ve been reasonable, especially on the long runs which were good today, so that’s a definite positive for us. We’re still not quite where we need to be, but I think we’re back to our normal position behind the top three teams. We’ve got quite a big floor upgrade coming tomorrow, so we’ll be testing that in FP3 and hopefully it moves us forward a little more. We also completed a number of installation laps on the front wings to look at some very specific data collection. Aside from that we’ve stayed with the old specification, because we wanted to concentrate on the suspension work.

Felipe Massa: Today was a pretty normal Friday but definitely not an easy one. We’ve just been trying to learn more about the tyres, understand the balance of the track and try different things in the car. It’s not an easy track for us compared to others. The good thing is that nothing strange happened and nothing went wrong today, so I’m really hoping we can be competitive and score some good points.

Valtteri Bottas: Today we focussed on learning about the soft and supersoft tyres on both long and short runs. In the shorter runs, I wasn’t totally happy with the car balance so I hope we can improve for tomorrow, and I think that we can because there is room to. The timings look really close so any improvement that we can make will be a step forward. It was also quite interesting to try out the new asphalt today. There’s definitely more grip available, but it can also create issues with tyre wear on the supersofts.