2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
edu2703
edu2703

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Felipe Nasr: September decisive for 2017 Williams or Sauber choice

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ice#898126

Sevach
Sevach

I hope the team makes this decision quickly, the options are on the table.

The only wild card i can think of is Wehrlein, but it's unlikely that he can amass the money Stroll and Nasr have.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams signs former Ferrari engineer

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3442 ... -engineer/

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

WILLIAMS WELCOMES ANTONIO SPAGNOLO TO ENGINEERING OPERATIONS

09 SEP 2016
Williams is pleased to announce a new addition to its engineering department in an effort to bolster performance for the remainder of the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship campaign onwards.

Antonio Spagnolo, former Head of Tyre Performance Group with Ferrari, has joined the Williams Operations Group this week as Competitor Analysis and Performance Concept Team Leader.

In this role, which is focussed on augmenting car performance, Antonio will concentrate on understanding our competitors’ strengths and identifying areas of our performance which require prioritisation of resources. Naturally, in view of his previous role at Ferrari, his considerable experience will be brought to bear in guiding our restructured Tyre Performance Group to better understand and exploit both theoretical and practical aspects of tyre performance.

Joining Williams with a wealth of operational and performance experience, Antonio has held various roles with Ferrari, including Race and Performance Engineer to Kimi Räikkönen and Fernando Alonso respectively. Antonio has been with Ferrari since 2005, during which time it has won two Constructors’ titles, in 2007 and ’08, and the ’07 Drivers’ title with Räikkönen.

Antonio’s experience and expertise will be a valuable addition to the Operations Group where he will report in to Head of Performance Engineering, Rob Smedley.

Pat Symonds, Williams Chief Technical Officer, said; “Williams is determined to continue the positive momentum it has had since 2014 and, with new additions to the team, hopes to become even stronger. We are constantly seeing ways to improve our performance and trackside operations and believe Antonio will make a valuable contribution to this process. As a team, we will do our utmost to achieve our on-track ambitions and secure strong positions in the Constructors’ Championship this season, and beyond.”

adrianjordan

Is it just me who thinks the job titles in F1 are getting more and more outlandish..??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Nurburgring F3: Stroll passes Gunther for Race 2 win

http://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/n ... in-825317/

He is looking good so far.

Pierce89

LookBackTime wrote:Nurburgring F3: Stroll passes Gunther for Race 2 win

http://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/n ... in-825317/

He is looking good so far.
It seems to me that, contrary to popular belief, Stroll is just as talented as he is well funded.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Stroll favourite to replace Massa at Williams for 2017 F1

Lance Stroll says he is ready to drive a formula one car.

Still just 17, the Canadian is now the favourite to replace Felipe Massa at Williams for 2017.

Stroll’s father is the well-known fashion billionaire Lawrence Stroll, but Lance is also the runaway leader of the highly-competitive European F3 series.

So when asked if he is ready for F1, Stroll told Germany’s motorsport-magazin.com: “Yes, absolutely.

“I think formula 3 is at a very high level and only one step below GP2. Our cars have a lot of downforce but of course not as much power as F1, but the competition level is very high.”

When asked what the other differences between the categories are, Stroll added: “I think a bit of everything, but I cannot say exactly because I have never experienced F1.”

Stroll will at least be 18 by next March if he is selected to replace Massa, satisfying the FIA’s new age limit that was introduced after Max Verstappen’s debut.

“Max was unusually young when he got his opportunity that not many others get, but as we saw he did an incredible job,” said Stroll.

“It is good for motor sport and formula one that young drivers are able to show what they can do. But I don’t want to compare myself with anyone, because each situation is different.

“However, if you are well prepared and have the necessary talent then I see no problem about starting even at a very early age,” he added.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

For me (reading the above interview) looks like the deal between Stroll family and Williams Martini Racing is done.

This weekend Stroll has gotten his championship points to get his super license!

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Stroll hits F1 superlicence points target for 2017

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/strol ... 17-825835/

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

from AMUS (german):

"Lance Stroll hat 35 Millionen Dollar im Gepäck. Das sind 35 Millionen Gründe, den noch 17-jährigen Kanadier zu verpflichten. Der FormelVideo: Formel Schmidt Analyse GP Monza 3-Titel wird den Sohn des Milliardärs Lawrence Stroll über die nötige Superlizenz-Hürde von 40 Punkten heben. Selbst ein dritter Platz würde reichen. Und ab dem 29. Oktober hat er auch das Formel 1-Mindesteintrittsalter von 18 Jahren erreicht. Williams ist der heißeste Kandidat."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Stroll guaranteed F1 superlicence as he bids for Williams seat

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/id/12858

"
Stroll is currently taking part in a number of private tests in an old Williams car in order to ready him for a possible 2017 debut, with his father funding the programme which also includes a small group of Williams F1 engineers in attendance at each test.
"

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams Formula 1 team posts profit in first half of 2016

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... lf-of-2016

iotar__

LookBackTime wrote:Williams Formula 1 team posts profit in first half of 2016

More to the point these are losses but Ecclestone's money for nothing is bailing them out =P~ . Replace it with a decade of -10 (or whatever) million and let's see these profits.

Impact of getting BS bonuses despite results is bigger than linear. Just like McLaren (lesser impact of course) they can afford poor seasons the other teams would not survive. Force India has to skip tests, Sauber the same plus losing staff, drivers etc.

Pierce89

iotar__ wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Williams Formula 1 team posts profit in first half of 2016

More to the point these are losses but Ecclestone's money for nothing is bailing them out =P~ . Replace it with a decade of -10 (or whatever) million and let's see these profits.

Impact of getting BS bonuses despite results is bigger than linear. Just like McLaren (lesser impact of course) they can afford poor seasons the other teams would not survive. Force India has to skip tests, Sauber the same plus losing staff, drivers etc.
Well seeing as how Bernie money js contractually guaranteed, your little mental exercises without it are pointless. Do you think that without Bernie money, Williams would've spent the same amount? I don't. The numbers are the numbers and Williams was in the green.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher