2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr Brooksy

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

The website 'this is f1' said that Lawrence Stroll has bought half of Williams. It was a line buried in the article about his dad categorically saying Lance is in F1 for 2017. If that was the only mention of it, I'd have dismissed it, but they then say that Lawrence might be the one choosing who is Lances' team mate!

Have I missed this memo or is this purely speculation by a very small f1 website?

I mean I know that Lawrence will have sunk big money into the team for his sons drive and testing etc (through whatever means he has at his disposal), but that doesn't constitute buying half of the team does it?

I certainly hope this is just a small website trying to get clickbait...
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

LookBackTime

Mika Salo made the comments that "Lawrence Stroll has bought half of Williams".
I doubt it.

Williams Grand Prix Holdings PLC WGF1:GR XETRA is a public company.
The Frankfurt Stock Exchange must be notified when ownership has changed.

Below is the article:

F1 - Stroll set, Bottas less certain for Williams
"It’s difficult to talk about Valtteri’s situation"

Lance Stroll will definitely be at Williams in 2017, according to multiple authoritative media sources.

One of them is the Finnish broadcaster MTV, adding that the British team’s current driver Valtteri Bottas will almost certainly be his teammate.

But some other outlets are less sure, including Finland’s Ilta Sanomat, amid rumours Bottas is still the first choice to join Nico Hulkenberg at Renault.

"It’s difficult to talk about Valtteri’s situation," said former F1 driver Mika Salo.

"Lance Stroll will be there, and Williams would probably like to keep Valtteri, but (Lance’s father Lawrence) Stroll has bought half of the team so it may be him who chooses who is in the other car," he added.

When asked his opinion of Stroll, who is the new European F3 champion, Salo said: "He is not a bad driver. He has won a lot of races this season and the F3 championship.

"He deserves a place but he may not want Valtteri as his teammate," he added.

The German publication Speed Week reports that confirmation of Stroll’s contract may be delayed until late October, when he turns 18, in deference to Williams’ alcohol sponsor Martini.
Last edited by LookBackTime on 18 Oct 2016, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.

OneAlex

"Lawrence Stroll has bought half of Williams" (in a bid to get his son an F1 seat) is the kind of headline that I would have thought might rankle Sir Frank.

Not that Williams hasn't gone for cash in the past of course, but that sort of thing is a little too bombastic for what is after all one of F1's prestige teams. :P

Sevach

I don't think "bought half of Williams" is to be taken literally, with that said i did read articles saying Lawrence Stroll may take a role with the team.

LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:I don't think "bought half of Williams" is to be taken literally, with that said i did read articles saying Lawrence Stroll may take a role with the team.
If papa Stroll is thinking he will go at Williams and teach them how to run the F1 team he will have big surprise.

BMW try that and did not work well (for both sides) :)

Sevach

Well, Patrick Head isn't there anymore...
Frank was always the accomodating one (at least portrayed like that).

Anyways i think Williams shoudl lock Bottas up quickly(if they haven't already), if he ends up going to Renault i can only think of Grosjean on that level to step up and lead, and he may not be ready to leave his "Ferrari project".

Other than that what Magnussen? Wehrlein? Kvyat? Nasr? All those guys showed a lot of inconsistency imo.

LookBackTime

My understanding is that:
- Bottas is already locked for next year.
- Williams would like to have a new contract with Bottas : 2 years + 1 year option from Williams side.

Speculation:

It possible Bottas has signed something with Renault for 2018 and beyond.
Williams knows about that and they are trying to get best possible outcome :)

Sevach

What would that outcome be?
Make Renault pay to have him now?

Williams has an option on Bottas for next year, then he becomes a free agent i believe, Williams is trying to re-up as you said, but he doesn't seem eager to lock himself down again (he may think the long contract blew his Ferrari hopes).

LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:What would that outcome be?

Williams has an option on Bottas for next year, then he becomes a free agent i believe, Williams is trying to re-up as you said, but he doesn't seem eager to lock himself down again (he may think the long contract blew his Ferrari hopes).
Selling Bottas to Renault for lets say 10 mil USD and hire Kvyat for cheap !

Rumor mill says that they are willing to hire Wehrlein for the right price (from Mercedes)!

Pierce89

Sevach wrote:What would that outcome be?

Williams is delaying on taking up the option on Bottas because it entails a serious pay raise.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

LookBackTime

Claire Williams: Valtteri Bottas's first F1 win should be with us

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.p ... in-with-us

Fulcrum

I think Bottas should move on, especially if there is decent money on the table from Renault.

Firstly, this is a time-limited profession, you have to maximise your earning potential where possible, because things change so quickly in F1. A few years in and you're no longer a rookie, you're the established driver, and the moving target for the next round of young talent to aim at.

Which brings me to my second point. I can't imagine this team continuing to gravitate toward Bottas with so much influence having walked through the door in the form of Stroll. If Stroll is really good, Bottas has an uphill battle anyway. If Stroll isn't quite that good, you can bet an influence will be exerted to 'migrate' the best mechanics and support network to Stroll's side of the garage, which will have an alienating affect as well. Bottas has shown he can become a bit unsettled by unwanted speculation, which is almost certain to happen when comparisons start being drawn between himself and an 18 year old rookie.

Thirdly, If he has any aspirations of becoming a World Champion, and race winner to boot, statistics would suggest his chances of becoming so at Williams are remote, at best. I've gone through most, if not all, of the World Champions and very few achieved their first Championship with a team they'd driven with for longer than 4 years.

Hamilton - 2nd year at McLaren, 2nd and 3rd year at Mercedes.
Vettel - 2nd - 5th year at Red Bull.
Button - 1st year at Brawn (7th at Honda); his best year at Honda was in the 2nd year, as was his McLaren peak.
Raikkonen - 1st year at Ferrari; peaked at McLaren in his 2nd and 4th year; peaked at Lotus in his 1st year.
Alonso - 3rd and 4th year at Renault (as a driver); peaked at Ferrari in his 1st, 3rd and 4th year.
Schumacher - 3rd and 4th year at Benetton; 4th-8th year at Ferrari.
Hakkinen - 5th and 6th year at McLaren.
Villeneuve - 2nd year at Williams.
D. Hill - 4th year at Williams.
Prost - 2nd, 3rd and 6th year at McLaren; 1st year at Williams.
Mansell - 2nd year at Williams.
Senna - 1st, 3rd and 4th year at McLaren.
Piquet - 4th year at Parmalat Racing; 1st year at Fila Sport; 2nd year at Williams.
K. Rosberg - 1st year at Williams.
Jones - 2nd year at Williams.
Scheckter - 1st year at Ferrari.
Andretti - 2nd year at Lotus.
Lauda - 2nd and 4th year at Ferrari; 3rd year at McLaren.
Hunt - 1st year at McLaren.
Fittipaldi - 3rd year at Lotus; 1st year at McLaren.
Stewart - 2nd year at Matra; 2nd and 4th year at Tyrrell.
Rindt - 2nd year at Lotus.
G. Hill - 3rd year at Owen; 2nd year at Lotus.
Hulme - 3rd year at Brabham.
Brabham - 3rd and 4th year at Cooper; 5th year at Brabham.
Clark - 4th and 6th year at Lotus.
Surtees - 2nd year at Ferrari.
P. Hill - 4th year at Ferrari.
Hawthorn - 2nd year at Ferrari.
Fangio - 2nd year Alfa; 2nd year Maserati/1st year Mercedes; 2nd year Mercedes; 1st year Ferrari; 1st year Maserati.
Ascari - 3rd and 4th year Ferrari.

Button managed it with Brawn/Honda, but if it had been Honda by itself, I'm doubtful he would have won as the Honda engine wasn't well regarded at that stage.

Schumacher won in the 5th to 8th years of a successful relationship with Ferrari, but he won in the 5th year after already having won the title in the 4th year, and after many race wins in preceding years too.

Similarly for Prost. He had won races and titles with McLaren already before the win in his 6th year with the team.

Hakkinen, Brabham and Clark are the only examples of long-lived relationships bearing fruit so late. Brabham was of course driving for his own team, and Clark only ever drove for Lotus. Hakkinen is perhaps the best example, but then again, he won in his 4th year with the team.

Irrespective, the signs are pretty obvious. Championship and race winning potential are evidenced fairly immediately in Driver-Constructor relationships. If it hasn't happened within the first 3 years, it's highly unlikely to happen at all.

Lastly, Bottas needs to consider the movements being made around him. Is he ever going to be considered for a Mercedes seat? I think not, given the emergence of Wehrlein, Ocon, and others. If he closes the door with Williams, what bridges does he burn? A non-existent one with Mercedes, and not much else. The team clearly likes him, it might even be possible for him to return later in life.

If he is a potential candidate for Ferrari, which I strongly doubt as well, would driving for Renault impact that relationship? My guess is it would have little bearing on it at all.

LookBackTime

One race could decide Force India battle - Symonds

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... __Symonds/

LookBackTime

Looks like Martini is very happy with Williams partnership!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2016/ ... 8e6d30bc25

Meet The Brand Which Pours Fun Into The Williams F1 Team
Christian Sylt , CONTRIBUTOR

Formula One teams don’t come much more traditional than Williams. The British squad was co-founded by Sir Frank Williams in 1977 who still sits in the driving seat as team principal and majority shareholder. Unlike his rivals he didn’t sell up to a billionaire or car manufacturer and instead floated the company on the Frankfurt stock exchange in 2011. It may sound formal but it’s far from boring. In fact, Williams is one of the most relaxed and hip teams on the grid and that is driven partly by its title sponsor Martini.

Martini has a longer history in F1 than almost any other sponsor and actually started in the series before Williams made its début. After a few years as a sportscar sponsor Martini joined F1 in 1972 and initially partnered with the Italian team Tecno. However, after two uncompetitive seasons it did a U-Turn only to return in 1975 as title sponsor of F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone’s Brabham team.

Martini’s distinctive red and blue color scheme covered the cars and didn’t just become synonymous with Brabham but F1 itself after the team finished second in the standings in the first year of the deal.

The arrival of Austrian driver Niki Lauda three years later abruptly put the brakes on the partnership as he brought a deal with dairy company Parmalat which replaced Martini. It took 36 years for the brand to return to F1 as a title sponsor when Williams stunned the industry by signing it up for the 2014 season.

Although its renowned red and blue colour-scheme came back it is racing in a different landscape. Alcohol brands now have to ensure that their auto racing promotion comes complete with responsible drinking messages and the days when drivers could down a drink before beginning the race are long gone. Martini didn’t just adapt to this new environment it has thrived in it.

Instead of focusing purely on advertising and brand exposure, it has aligned its image with the jet-set lifestyle that F1 is famous for. At the heart of this association is the Terrazza MARTINI, a terrace on the top floor of the Williams motorhome where invited VIPs can watch the action on track whilst sampling its products.

The format was so successful that Martini copied it and opened pop-up terraces in city-center locations during the F1 race weekends. They bring some of F1’s glitz and glamour to the streets by hosting live music and driver interviews. Locals can eat, watch the race and, of course, drink Martini there. Crucially, it allows guests to walk home or take public transport as the terraces are located in cities, rather than out-of-town where tracks are usually found. It is paying off.

According to Giles Ritchie, Martini’s global F1 sponsorship manager, attendance at the Terrazza MARTINIs globally has accelerated 247% this year. We asked him what drives this success and how F1’s global platform fuels Martini’s plans to be the number one aperitivo brand.

The distinctive Martini branding covers the Williams cars (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

What do you provide to F1 (other than cash)?

MARTINI brings a style and gioia di vivere – the Italian ‘joy of living’ – to racing like no other. We also understand that racing isn’t just about what happens on the track, it’s about the lifestyle off the track. On the track, it’s all about speed and racing against the clock. Off track, it’s about time with friends. MARTINI gives race fans a reason to come together over a race weekend and connects people interested in food, fashion and music with Formula One in a unique way.

How are your products used in F1?

Inside the Formula One paddock, on top of the Williams Martini Racing motorhome we host a Terrazza MARTINI for everyone to enjoy a very Italian aperitivo moment right in the heart of the action. We also provide product and non-alcohol options for the Williams Martini Racing suites located in the Paddock Club and Williams events across the season.

MARTINI products are also enjoyed responsibly by the Williams Martini Racing drivers and the wider Williams team in down-time between races.

When did your F1 partnership begin?

The MARTINI brand’s longstanding relationship with motorsport and rich history of both sponsorship and participation in worldwide sporting events began in 1968 with the creation of MARTINI Racing. This bold and ambitious move saw MARTINI become one of the first-ever non-motorsport entrants to sponsor a racing team and it was during this time the distinctive blue and red livery of MARTINI Racing was created. The pioneering ‘racing stripes’ design that emulates the team’s speed and style was a consistent presence throughout the heyday of MARTINI Racing.

Racing is a sport we have been involved in for nearly 50 years across a variety of iconic liveries, with our return to Formula One in 2014 as the title sponsor of the British owned Williams team, we hope a new generation will fall in love with the gioia di vivere – the Italian ‘joy of living’ – that MARTINI brings to the world.

How did the deal come about (who approached who and when)?

After a short hiatus MARTINI was looking to re-engage with motorsport, a sport we have been passionate about for nearly 50 years. Williams’ inclusive and friendly feel is in line with another of MARTINI’s passions – to spend time in good company. Both MARTINI and Williams are also still proud family owned businesses despite their size.

We were also looking for a platform to engage with a new, younger audience globally. Formula One gives us the opportunity to bring together the worlds of Formula One, food, music and fashion to enjoy MARTINI responsibly over the eight-month season.

Why did you choose F1 rather than another sport?

MARTINI has one of the richest brand histories in motorsport and we’ve been involved in Formula One for nearly 50 years. It provides us with a truly global audience that stretches across multiple markets, bringing MARTINI into the homes of race fans around the world during a twenty-one race calendar. Our partnership with Williams Martini Racing represents a continued commitment to racing and sees our iconic racing stripes back on the grid.

We also understand that racing isn’t just about what happens on the track, it’s about the lifestyle off the track – the style, food, music – and our Terrazza MARTINI experiences are a perfect demonstration of that and an opportunity to enjoy the quintessentially Italian aperitivo moment with friends. Our Terrazza MARTINI experiences always take place in central locations in each city allowing guests to enjoy our MARTINI products responsibly or non-alcoholic options before easily and safely making their way home walking or using public transport.

How is F1 of particular benefit to your industry?

Formula One provides us with a truly global audience that stretches across multiple markets, bringing MARTINI into the homes of race fans around the world. Formula One also travels to some of the most influential cities in the world providing opportunities throughout the year to engage with a new audience through bespoke experiences, innovative content and experiential events.

What are the key target markets for your partnership?

This season the focus has been on growing our European markets through our Williams Martini Racing partnership. Europe is where we have our biggest markets and we have focused our large scale partnership activations within this region. The Singapore Grand Prix was also added this year as we look to increase value share in the Asian market. Felipe Massa being Brazilian has been fantastic for generating excitement for Williams Martini Racing and our partnership in Brazil, we will round off the season with two activations in Mexico and Brazil.

What results have you had from your partnership so far?

Williams Martini Racing delivers an innovative, powerful and integrated marketing platform enabling MARTINI consumers to get closer to the action both on and off the track. MARTINI has developed a series of bespoke experiences, innovative content, experiential events like the Terrazza MARTINI, creative advertising and enticing promotions to engage not only F1 fans, but those interested in food, fashion and music with great success.

This season we have seen a +247% YOY increase in people visiting and enjoying time with friends at our Terrazza MARTINIs globally.

How do you use your F1 partnership to motivate and incentivise staff?

Throughout the year global sales teams are given challenging sales targets to reach. As a reward for hitting those targets, most recently staff were treated to a unique four-day experience in Milan over the Grand Prix weekend. This included a visit to Casa MARTINI, the home of MARTINI to learn about the brand’s rich heritage and to create their own vermouth. Our guests then experienced racing with MARTINI, both at the Monza track on race day and first-hand with an exciting Formula 3 and Porsche driving experience.

We also use the partnership to create exclusive events for our employees. Our production staff at the factory and MARTINI brand home in Pessione outside Turin were invited to a special kickoff event at the start of the season that included the Williams Martini Racing drivers. Staff were able to take part in meet and greets with the drivers and mingle amongst past and present MARTINI Racing Formula One cars, before hearing about our vision for the future of the MARTINI brand.

Give an example of how you activate your sponsorship

Alongside our Terrazzas we also work with a number of exciting partners including Time Out, Spotify and Vice magazine which amplify fans’ experiences across the race weekend and offer a different perspective to the action. At MARTINI we know that racing isn’t just about what happens on the track. This season MARTINI is taking over a number of Grand Prix cities over race weekend with our famous Terrazza MARTINI experience – the beating heart of any city during race weekend. Distinctly Italian with a nod to the host city, the Terrazza MARTINI brings together the very best local talent across F1, food, music and fashion. After a day at the race track it’s the perfect spot to wind down, enjoy a very Italian aperitivo moment with friends and soak up the atmosphere of each city over race weekend.

Our Terrazza MARTINI experiences always take place in central locations in each city, rather than at F1 circuits which are usually out of city centers, allowing guests to enjoy our MARTINI products responsibly or non-alcohol options before easily and safely making their way home walking or using public transport

What are your objectives for the sponsorship?

Our objective is to be the number one aperitivo brand. The Williams Martini Racing partnership provides a global platform that allows MARTINI to travel the world with our passion for racing and liberating ‘Dolce Vita’ attitude to time.

What common brand values do you share with F1?

MARTINI has a longstanding passion for racing and Formula One is the pinnacle for motorsports. MARTINI also believes life is richer when we focus on shared moments and experiences, rather than seconds and minutes, we leave that to the Williams Martini Racing team members. Our brand values are echoed by the charisma of the drivers and personalities in Formula One and it’s a truly global sport that brings people together to share the excitement of a race weekend. MARTINI and Formula One also share the important value that our products should be enjoyed responsibly and should never be consumed before driving.

What has been your proudest moment so far during your sponsorship?

We have a strong relationship with the Williams Martin Racing team and its drivers Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa, being a part of their successive third place finishes in the F1 Constructors Championship has been extremely satisfying. In addition, MARTINI Racing being part of Felipe’s career has been a huge pleasure for us and when he announced his retirement on Thursday of the Italian Grand Prix we were lucky enough to host him at our Terrazza MARTINI opening night in Milan. We wish him all the best in the future and look forward to celebrating his 250th Grand Prix start at the final race of the 2016 F1 season in Abu Dhabi.

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING
Symantec ‏@symantec 2h2 hours ago
Welcome to Austin, @WilliamsRacing! Today Symantec will share some exciting security and #F1 news. Stay tuned. #USGP