2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ChrisF1

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

jagunx51 wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:So if he should have been 2nd last year, how do you explain 14th, 15th and 19th in the other seasons?

The guys a dud, not really worth a seat.
Do u thing PW deserve the seat? really....just because he is a Merc DTM champion??
I don't want to argue as your triple post shows you're either a PW hater, a Rio fan or just a troll, but hey, I will bite.

The DTM cars are highly sophisticated machines that F1 teams clearly rate as Gary Paffett was a DTM champ and Mclaren test driver, whilst Ralf Schumacher, Timo Glock and Mika Hakkinen hardly slotted in and won races because it's a tough series.

In addition, Mercedes are backing PW for a reason - they've seen his simulator data, and his 300km+ completed in a 2013 Mercedes, and his Force India test runs. He's shown them enough for them to back him, and likely groom him to replace Lewis or Nico in 1/2 years.

Rupiah Ryo meanwhile is there for one reason.

rzlrip

The next plan is get other sponsors from other asian company for next season :)

good luck then rio... someday maybe you will get the mclaren honda seat :)

Scuderia1967

turbof1 wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:Pascal won last year's DTM... without having the best car. I think it's fair to say he has talent.
As for Rio, he has 2 GP3 wins and 4 GP2 wins on his belt, so he can't be that bad.
Having said that, it's clear that, without Mercedes and the Indonesian government aids, neither would have gotten the place
The issue currently in F1 is that are only limited places, more limited then in the past I'd say. You need to give something "convincing" to get anybody in F1, whether they are talented or not.
True, but hasn't that been the case since at least the 80's? Senna was a true talent, but without his family wealth maybe he would have never left Brazil. Piquet came from a very wealthy family too, Mercedes paid Schummi's seat at Jordan... the list is endless

turbof1

Why yes, but it is much more prominently applied today I think.

For the record, I think Wehrlein is a great talent. He'll still have to prove himself in a F1 car, that's why he is now in a Manor.
#AeroFrodo

Raleigh

Both may be sponsored drivers, but I'll take the backing of a top F1 team a lot more seriously than sponsorship from a bank/oil company etc.

Cold Fussion

rzlrip wrote:Yeah. This is good news for Rio, F1, and of course Indonesia. Rio will show you the best. Embarrassing for all of you who underestimate him (Rio) and thought it could happen because the pay!
It's delusional to think that Rio is in F1 for any reason other then the massive pay check he brings. He's had a single decent season in junior formula and even in that season he was comprehensively out classed by other drivers who didn't get an F1 seat.

cmF1

Cold Fussion wrote:
It's delusional to think that Rio is in F1 for any reason other then the massive pay check he brings. He's had a single decent season in junior formula and even in that season he was comprehensively out classed by other drivers who didn't get an F1 seat.
Give him the benefit of the doubt please. Raikonnen had one good lower formula season before joining F1. As did Verstappen. I'm not comparing the three of them but give the man a chance before criticising him.
プラスとマイナス

ChrisF1

cmF1 wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
Give him the benefit of the doubt please. Raikonnen had one good lower formula season before joining F1. As did Verstappen. I'm not comparing the three of them but give the man a chance before criticising him.
Ok, so let's flip that.

Harayanto had three POOR seasons in lower formula. Verstappen and Raikkonen didn't have any poor seasons.

cmF1

Damon Hill only finished 5 races in the points during his 3 year Formula 3000 career. What happened to him?
プラスとマイナス

ChrisDanger

rzlrip, congratulations on your compatriot earning the nation's first Formula 1 seat in history. You must be proud. I was unfortunately only 4 last time a fellow South African 's raced in F1, and there have been no other local drivers racing since Ive been following the sport. But I can imagine race weekends will be very special for you this year. And long may it continue. I hope Haryanto's performance lives up to your expectations. Dont let the naysayers get you down.

bdr529

cmF1 wrote:Damon Hill only finished 5 races in the points during his 3 year Formula 3000 career. What happened to him?
It got him a seat in the Brabham :lol:

I do agree with you, Give the guy a chance first before condemning him

Cold Fussion

cmF1 wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
I'm struggling to understand your logic. If you believe that he is in F1 on merit, why is that the 3 people who beat in his only decent season in junior formula are not in F1? It's completely illogical to compare the junior careers of Verstappen/Raikonnen to that Rio and to be so disingenuous suggests some hidden agenda to me. Verstappen and Raikonnen had only the one season of junior formula and showed exceptional ability in it, Rio has had mulitple seasons in lower formula where he was completely mediocre and his only decent season, last year, he was a mid field driver who managed to score a couple wins. This guy has less pedigree than Maldonado, and no one thinks his time in F1 achieved on merit.

mclaren111

ChrisDanger:
You must be proud. I was unfortunately only 4 last time a fellow South African's raced in F1, and there have been no other local drivers racing since I've been following the sport.
I was a teenager when Jody was racing. Was great to watch him. He knew how to throw a car around and slide to the absolute edge.

Unfortunately South Africa will never have an F1 driver again - I am sure - sadly :( :( :( :( :(

jagunx51

ChrisF1 wrote:
jagunx51 wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:So if he should have been 2nd last year, how do you explain 14th, 15th and 19th in the other seasons?

The guys a dud, not really worth a seat.
Do u thing PW deserve the seat? really....just because he is a Merc DTM champion??
I don't want to argue as your triple post shows you're either a PW hater, a Rio fan or just a troll, but hey, I will bite.

The DTM cars are highly sophisticated machines that F1 teams clearly rate as Gary Paffett was a DTM champ and Mclaren test driver, whilst Ralf Schumacher, Timo Glock and Mika Hakkinen hardly slotted in and won races because it's a tough series.

In addition, Mercedes are backing PW for a reason - they've seen his simulator data, and his 300km+ completed in a 2013 Mercedes, and his Force India test runs. He's shown them enough for them to back him, and likely groom him to replace Lewis or Nico in 1/2 years.

Rupiah Ryo meanwhile is there for one reason.
Who was DTM driver won the WDC ? Are there many? ..........

Rio has been there since the Virgin era, you better ask John Booth how much he likes him since he was 17..... for a young guy coming from nowhere, with no cash at that time, how come a F1 team give him a chance to test a car for the 3rd times? To rob his Rupiahs? or just a good luck? ... Ohh, perhaps some goverment agents give a bribe to the team? who knows

If Rossi has the same amount of dollar, I am sure Manor will take Rio
If Manor using a Ferrari engine, I dont think they even make a contact with Pascal, nor if Pascal driving Audi

I am not guessing whether you are a Rio hater or PW supporter, but you may call me a PW-fans hater

Honestly, I will congratulate if Pascal scored points more than Rio this year.

And for sure, I do believe Rio wont win the tittle this year :mrgreen:

*edit: there were 3 teams contacted him in 2015, but two teams offer only a reserve driver option
............!!!!

Mark4211

Manor's new logo: