2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Maybe asked to leave like with Caterham

RicME85

family reasons apparently

ME4ME

With regards to Saubers continuing financial struggels and Haas' recent success, surly the question must be asked why not go the Haas way and become a costumer team? Saubers current situation seems pretty hopeless as it is.

They could become Mclaren-Honda's second team, using Honda engines and buy every part allowed from Mclaren. They could trade a race seat for financial benefits, put Vandoorne in the car, and sell the other seat to the highest bidder just like they do now. They can still use their own windtunnel and develop their own aero package, but drastically cut cost on the mechanical side and sell off that part of the company.

Big Mangalhit

It is working well for Haas because they are a costumer team for Ferrari that yesterday lapped almost the whole field except the Mercs obviously. So if you are either a Ferrari or a Merc costumer team I think that really works well for you. But being a McLaren customer would probably leave them in the last place, probably way behind what they are now. If they can't do it with Ferrari PU imagine using the Honda one, even if it comes with aero and suspension aid from Mclaren.

Also Haas success is not only Ferrari aid but also that they had unlimited windtunel and CFD to use while being helped by Ferrari engineers. But for Sauber they can't do neither one nor the other, since they are already a team competing and because the FIA closed that loophole of loaning people.

ME4ME

Like I said, they should continue doing their own aero development. Aero surfaces aren't part of the allowed shared items if i'm not mistaken. Besides they have a great wind tunnel of their own.

Regarding the PU, yes the Ferrari is currently ahead. That doesn't mean that Honda cannot make inroads on Ferrari throughout the season, let alone in the years to come. I think it's inevetable. Mclaren-Honda will catch up, even though it takes longer than expected. They've already made progress compared to last year, and are now in the mid-field.

I just think that economically it could make sense to become a costumer, buy every part allowed and use the situation to their advantage; Mclaren-Honda need a second team for PU development purposes. Also getting Vandoorne in one of the seats for further financial benefits would only boost Sauber as a team, he's that much better of a driver then Ericsson/Nasr.

Big Mangalhit

I agree that Honda can fix their problems and maybe get up to speed with Ferrari. The problem is when are they going to be equal? Because I don't think this backmakers can afford to wait and sit in last position one year. Especially with the concorde agreement they really need to be at least 10th, and that is easier with the Ferrari PU. Heck if they don't make it with the 2016 Fer PU imagine how they would struggle on the short term.
True that they would gain by having McLaren back up and a gifted pilot like Vandoorne but they would lose one of their two pay drivers and risk losing the 10th position. Which I honestly don't think it is worth it. Also I think both Nasr and Ericson are not as bad as they are sometimes rated.

efuloni
efuloni

Brazilian press says that even the team's presence in China is now at risk due to its financial issues.

They also report that Sauber is being sold and could be bought by Ferrari, that would use the Alfa Romeo brand in it. This was also mentioned during the transmission.

Link, in portuguese: http://flaviogomes.grandepremio.uol.com ... no-almoco/

FLuidd
FLuidd

efuloni wrote:Brazilian press says that even the team's presence in China is now at risk due to its financial issues.

They also report that Sauber is being sold and could be bought by Ferrari, that would use the Alfa Romeo brand in it. This was also mentioned during the transmission.

Link, in portuguese: http://flaviogomes.grandepremio.uol.com ... no-almoco/
and so it begins ... The Ferrari Cartel

F1PuertoRico
F1PuertoRico

bill shoe
bill shoe

Hey, maybe Kaltenborn could sell the team to McLaren and then also sell it to Ferrari. =D>

Pierce89

It's sad but in the RCE article about last year's Sauber, it says that to stay afloat they rent out the wind tunnel so much they can't use their full allotment of time. They rented 3000 hours to Audi LMP1 alone.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FW17

30 hours a week is what is allowed and that shared with 30 tera flops of cfd

Sauber also has one of the best CFD computing powers in the business thanks to the BMW days

bauc

It would be very bad to see Sauber F1 team gone, so if there is a chance for this team to surrive in any form as a tie-up partnership with AlfaRomeo then I'm okey with it.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ME4ME

FW17 wrote:Sauber also has one of the best CFD computing powers in the business thanks to the BMW days
I doubt it. That was 6 years ago, probably 7 when BMW cut investment.

void

About a partnership with Alfa Romeo, it will be Ferrari engine rebranded? Or a new engine?