2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

GrandAxe wrote:Paddy Lowe headed (ostensibly) for Williams without any gardening leave period (unprecedented)
You missed the bit in the Mercedes press release that said he was going on "a period of gardening leave" then? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ME4ME

PlatinumZealot wrote:It wont be james thats taking it because james is not experienced at that management level i think.
Could you explain that further? I'm amazed by your comment. Makes no sense to me what so ever.

dans79

torpor wrote:In my opinion Paddy is a bitter loss for Mercedes. Remember what happened to McLaren after Paddy left.
I think you are over estimating Paddy here, at the end of 2012 he openly admitted they didn't know why the car was as good as it was, because their wind-tunnel and cfd said it should not have been as good as it was.
torpor wrote:I''ll say Toto's egoism is very toxic for Mercedes.
I think this is the real problem, for most of Mercs issues.
197 104 103 7

De Jokke

Why did he leave?
Probably money?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Just_a_fan

De Jokke wrote:Why did he leave?
Probably money?
Doubt it. Williams are unlikely to be paying more than Mercedes at the salary level and Mercedes pay their staff win bonuses too. One thing Williams won't be doing soon is paying win bonuses. When Mercedes got Paddy from McLaren, one of the moans from McLaren was that Mercedes were offering "telephone number" salaries to key people.

Paddy started out at Williams. I'd say he's going back there to finish his F1 career. I believe there are a number of old colleagues still there from his previous time too.

kooleracer

Just_a_fan wrote:
De Jokke wrote:Why did he leave?
Probably money?
Doubt it. Williams are unlikely to be paying more than Mercedes at the salary level and Mercedes pay their staff win bonuses too. One thing Williams won't be doing soon is paying win bonuses. When Mercedes got Paddy from McLaren, one of the moans from McLaren was that Mercedes were offering "telephone number" salaries to key people.

Paddy started out at Williams. I'd say he's going back there to finish his F1 career. I believe there are a number of old colleagues still there from his previous time too.
Paddy might get a stake in the company. Additionally, he will oversee the F1 team and the Advanced Engineering (commercial) part. More, responsibilities and a stake in a company that might be worth more in the future.

I really hope that they indeed acquire the services of James Allison, in my eyes an improvement because of his proven track record. Paddy was TD at McLaren from 2011 until 2013. Those weren't the glory days of McLaren. He switched to Mercedes and build on the foundation that was already there build by Brawn with Costa, Willis, Elliot, Bell, Cowell leading the departments. Allison is the right guy for the new formula, Paddy is chassis engineer whereas Allison is an aerodynamicist by trade. Allison has a proven track record with Benetton in the Schumacher era, also again with Schumacher in the Ferrari era and of course with Renault winning 2 championships with Alonso. Aldo Costa is a great chassis guy he can definitely fill the gap Lowe leaves. Allison and Mike Elliot are two brilliant aero guys that know each other from Lotus. I'm sure with the resources at their disposal at Mercedes they can do an even better job than they did at Lotus.

Paddy is a great guy with a brilliant CV, but with F1 going back to aero I would definitely prefer an aerodynamicist as TD.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

De Jokke

1) is it certain that allison will join merc?
2) will Allison gell with the current technical department at Merc? Maybe with Eliot but there are more "kooks in the kitchen"

ClarkBT11

ME4ME wrote:I think you guys are doing Toto a dishonor. What was he supposed to do after Rosberg left? Bottas is probably the best option for Mercedes, even if it might cost them.

Paddy leaving was already rumoured before Rosberg left. Paddy has mentioned that he enjoyed working at Mercedes but wanted a new challenge. There is no real toxic vibe.
Exactly, Paddy was already going to Williams before Rosberg left. Mercedes weren't willing to give Paddy a big enough raise, Paddy was set to leave in May so one of Williams clauses to sign Bottas was to let Paddy start with them earlier than planned. Alison is also rumoured on his way in so I don't think Mercedes have anything to worry about.
If Mercedes didn't think they could cope without Paddy the cheque book would of come out.

De Jokke

3) I wonder what Lewis will think of all this, he was close with Paddy during the mcl and merc days.
4) is the dreamteam falling apart ? (first Rosberg, now Paddy, hope it's not the case)

ClarkBT11

I don't think it will affect Lewis, paddy will be missed. I think Hamilton's focus will be who is around him in the garage and what Mercedes package will be compared to the rest of the field. The dream team is what Brawn put together before he left they might even benefit from Rosberg leaving if it's close next year at the top they can throw everything behind Lewis.

De Jokke

ClarkBT11 wrote:I don't think it will affect Lewis, paddy will be missed. I think Hamilton's focus will be who is around him in the garage and what Mercedes package will be compared to the rest of the field. The dream team is what Brawn put together before he left they might even benefit from Rosberg leaving if it's close next year at the top they can throw everything behind Lewis.
True that, except if Lewis is having problems again with reliability... (highly doubt it will be as bad as in 2016) but still, it could backfire if Bottas isn't up to it...

ps: also expecting tension brewing inside the rbr garage in 2017 :)

Just_a_fan

De Jokke wrote:3) I wonder what Lewis will think of all this, he was close with Paddy during the mcl and merc days.
4) is the dreamteam falling apart ? (first Rosberg, now Paddy, hope it's not the case)
If Mercedes give him a quick, reliable car he won't care who's in charge of what and when. He just cares about racing and winning.

ClarkBT11

De Jokke wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:I don't think it will affect Lewis, paddy will be missed. I think Hamilton's focus will be who is around him in the garage and what Mercedes package will be compared to the rest of the field. The dream team is what Brawn put together before he left they might even benefit from Rosberg leaving if it's close next year at the top they can throw everything behind Lewis.

True that, except if Lewis is having problems again with reliability... (highly doubt it will be as bad as in 2016) but still, it could backfire if Bottas isn't up to it...

Yes definitely! no way can Rebull keep those two happy. :twisted:

I personally think Mercedes (Toto) wanted Rosberg to win last year so I don't see him being as unlucky, plus the change in engineer's was a big set back maybe even why the unreliability left Nico and came to Lewis.

I hope Bottas is up to scratch I would of preffered Button we know he can perform close to Lewis and Alonso. Bottas has lost what little shine he had for me, he became stagnant at Williams struggling to beat Massa.

Watch him wipe the floor with Lewis :lol:

De Jokke

ClarkBT11 wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

Yes definitely! no way can Rebull keep those two happy. :twisted:

I personally think Mercedes (Toto) wanted Rosberg to win last year so I don't see him being as unlucky, plus the change in engineer's was a big set back maybe even why the unreliability left Nico and came to Lewis.

I hope Bottas is up to scratch I would of preffered Button we know he can perform close to Lewis and Alonso. Bottas has lost what little shine he had for me, he became stagnant at Williams struggling to beat Massa.

Watch him wipe the floor with Lewis :lol:
Also convinced of the "now it's rosberg's turn" but let's not start this again :p
Dunno if Button would be the good choice, somehow losing motivation is a bad sign, despite driving for the best team.
+ he might start dividing the team into two camps again (as he did in mcl when he was there with lewis. Lots of people loved Lewis, but when Button came, Lewis got less and less loved).
Bottas is the best they could get (sainz would have been better on speed but is no team player) as a team player. Only Hulk would have been better but was already signed up by renault.

I hope we'll have a combination good enough again to pick up poles and wins when the other driver is having troubles.
And if Merc builds another killercar (also reliable!), Lewis might have a record breaking year ahead of him!

ClarkBT11

Yes definitely don't need ten pages of that again.

I bet hulk couldn't believe his luck missing the best opportunity to race for the big four. I really like sainz and he is just as fast as verstappen, but why isn't he a team player does he spit his dummy out? Redbull would never let him go to strengthen their closest rival which is a shame but to be expected.