2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

AMG.Tzan wrote:Brings back memories of 2008!! Hamilton loses title...his teammate leaves...new Finnish teammate comes in (Kovalainen)...Hamilton wins the title!! :P
Well, it was in fact Bottas who started the series of bad luck incidents for Lewis. His overambitious move in Bahrain damaged Lewis' car, which resulted in ERS failures. So, it would be interesting to see how the relationship develops/deteriorates.

Coming into a new team and with new set of engineers and newer ways of doing things, it remains to be seen how Bottas is going to get adjusted. If the car remains the top contender, he could ill afford time to adjust to the car as any delay in getting to know things, season would be over before it starts.

For Nico, having been in the team for 7 years, knowing the very DNA of the car, still took a faultless performance from his own side and bad luck for Lewis to win the championship. So, it's not an easy task ahead for Bottas. Only time will tell, if he indeed is a top class or not.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

He'll grab the opportunity with both hands, he knows full well the driver market is going to open up with Vettel and co contracts being up soon.
As far as Lewis goes ? He'll want to dominate Bottas quickly and I doubt he'll care about what's gone on before. He wants to win.

Overall it was really the only choice Mercedes had, also taking into account Wolff is involved in Bottas management.

PlatinumZealot

So.

Toto's new boy has arrived. Careful Lewis!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

So will he get the title of the Flying Finn?

hemichromis
hemichromis

More details on the contract in this photo:

dans79

taperoo2k wrote: Overall it was really the only choice Mercedes had, also taking into account Wolff is involved in Bottas management.

I do not understand why there is almost no press on this point. The terms conflict of interest, and unethical come to mind!
197 104 103 7

Gridlock

Technically Bottas could use #0 this season, no? Or did they remove that when driver numbers came in?

GPR-A duplicate2

dans79 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote: Overall it was really the only choice Mercedes had, also taking into account Wolff is involved in Bottas management.

I do not understand why there is almost no press on this point. The terms conflict of interest, and unethical come to mind!
Link -> WOLFF: A CONFLICT OF INTEREST FOR ME TO MANAGE BOTTAS NOW

The Mercedes boss invested in the early stages of Bottas’ career, but confirmed during Monday’s announcement that he would no longer be involved.
[color=#0000FF]Wolff told Sky Sports[/color] wrote:It would be a conflict of interest to be involved in the management of a driver and equally being his boss and running the team. It’s something we agreed a long time ago that there wouldn’t be a driver that I’m looking after driving in any Mercedes racing car. And that’s what’s happening

dans79

GPR-A wrote: The Mercedes boss invested in the early stages of Bottas’ career, but confirmed during Monday’s announcement that he would no longer be involved.
That's good to know!
197 104 103 7

Morteza

From Mercedes AMG F1 Instagram page:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Vladimir
Vladimir

Only one year contract for Bottas.......hmmm I think he is already Renault sign driver for 2018. So that was complicated situation.

NathanOlder

If he is going to renault nexr year, Merc will know this , they will surely heavily back Lewis and keep sensitive info from Bottas as he will take everything he learns with him to Renault. If he has a deal in place for Renault, I cant believe Merc would sign him. Makes more sense to sign Wehrlein or Ocon.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

diego.liv
diego.liv

Italian media claim he has 10 races or so to prove his worth/to see how the situation is. Different factors to take into account: Bottas performance, availability of free agents (Vettel, Ricciardo, Alonso) or youth to promote, how things are between Merc and Hamilton

ME4ME

Well you don't have to be a journalist to figure that out. By mid-season Mercedes will start considering who they want for 2018. Bottas must have proven his worth by then.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

dans79 wrote:
GPR-A wrote: The Mercedes boss invested in the early stages of Bottas’ career, but confirmed during Monday’s announcement that he would no longer be involved.
That's good to know!
I don't see how it would be a conflict of interest now and not before.