2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Manoah2u wrote:
iotar__ wrote:wall of nonsense.
#-o why on earth did i get you off my ignore list again?
Not sure what your problem is with his comments. Seems pretty spot on to me.

PlatinumZealot

astracrazy wrote:Would Paddy have any influence on car design anyway? I know his in charge of that side of the team, but I was under the impression thats what Costa and Willis were in charge of?
Yeah these lineage of cars were the brainchild of Aldo costa. Aldo' cars. Geoff is aerodynamics. Paddy gives them the resources but he is also a great designer himself. I wont be surpised if some of the little tricks on the chassis were guided by Paddy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:
astracrazy wrote:Would Paddy have any influence on car design anyway? I know his in charge of that side of the team, but I was under the impression thats what Costa and Willis were in charge of?
Yeah these lineage of cars were the brainchild of Aldo costa. Aldo' cars. Geoff is aerodynamics. Paddy gives them the resources but he is also a great designer himself. I wont be surpised if some of the little tricks on the chassis were guided by Paddy.
They have John Owens as the Chief Designer (primary specialty being Aerodynamics and he is there since BAR Honda days) and Mike Elliott as head of aerodynamics, a role similar to that of Peter Prodromou had in Red Bull.

This is what I have read some time back.
[color=#0000FF]Ross Brawn talking to Autosport, Published on Wednesday March 21st 2012[/color] wrote:"We have John Owen as chief designer, who is very talented, but needed some support.

"So with Aldo looking after the engineering side and Geoff looking after the aerodynamics, they are natural areas of responsibility. They are able to focus more on taking care of their areas than perhaps they were when they were just technical directors."
With that, Paddy being the team principal, everyone reports to him and John Owen is overseeing "all the designs" for each year. So, if I am visualizing correctly, John Owen, Geoff Willis and Mike Elliott contribute more towards Aero and Aldo works on the Mechanical side of the car and as Paddy is also an engineering guy (less so on Aero, based on his past roles), whatever his contributions are, goes towards the rest of the car, more like Aldo's expertise.

In short, Paddy being a deeply technical guy and as a team principal (Technical, as the Business side of the racing is handled by Toto), he would definitely be contributing in car's overall design and engineering work. As he would be on the road for 8 months, managing racing activities, it's hard to imagine how much he would be involved in making base design decisions.

ClarkBT11

ME4ME wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:.. the only part of the suspension that is illegal is the hydraulics.
Why would that be illegal?

From Motorsport Magazine:
All contemporary F1 cars feature a lateral ‘third element’ heave spring across the front (and usually the rear too). This controls the car’s vertical stiffness. Because the aerodynamic loadings on the car are variable over the speed range, the heave spring is useful in decoupling loads imposed in cornering (to which it doesn’t react) from those imposed by the downforce working on both sides of the car (to which it does). It adds to the suspension stiffness when needed (at high speeds as the downforce loads increase dramatically) but remains neutral through cornering. All F1 cars have featured such springs for many years.

Where the Mercedes and Red Bull differed from the others last year was in how they combined the heave springs with hydraulic actuation. It allowed them to use the movement from the suspension to create hydraulic pressure that could effectively act as an energy store. This energy could then be used, when required, to manipulate the suspension in an advantageous way.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... 7-f1-title

If the 3rd suspension element is illegal because it's primary purpose is aerodynamic stability, than it shouldn't matter if it's hydraulically coupled or just a mechanical spring/damper.
Like you quoted their manipulating the suspension with hydraulics which is why Ferrari are asking Charlie whiting is this a legal system because they want to "copy" it next season.

I was under the impression they could revert back to the suspension the used at the start of the season.

ME4ME

ClarkBT11 wrote:.. the only part of the suspension that is illegal is the hydraulics.
Like you quoted their manipulating the suspension with hydraulics which is why Ferrari are asking Charlie whiting is this a legal system because they want to "copy" it next season.

I was under the impression they could revert back to the suspension the used at the start of the season.
My point is, (as far as I'm aware) there is no regulation specifically out lawing hydraulic suspension members, that's why I commented on your statement.

ClarkBT11

ME4ME wrote:

My point is, (as far as I'm aware) there is no regulation specifically out lawing hydraulic suspension members, that's why I commented on your statement.
Sorry I wasn't saying hydraulics is illegal just how it's been used to store energy for areo dynamic gains in corners and braking.

GPR-A duplicate2

Paddy Lowe leaves Mercedes F1 team
[color=#0000FF]By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor at Motorsport.com[/color] wrote:Mercedes executive director Paddy Lowe has left the Formula 1 title-winning team, sources have revealed, ahead of an imminent switch to the Williams outfit.

Mercedes is expected to appoint former Ferrari technical director James Allison to replace Lowe, once his period of gardening leave is over.

nevill3

It is now official, Paddy Lowe has left the building....

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... otorsport/
Paddy Lowe to leave Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport
Following three and a half very successful years, Paddy Lowe will be leaving Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport. He has now begun a period of garden leave.
The company’s Board wishes Paddy well with his future endeavours and thanks him for his significant contribution to the team’s achievements.
In the short term, our stable technical organisation will continue to operate under the proven and established leadership of our senior directors Aldo Costa (Engineering Director), Mark Ellis (Performance Director), Rob Thomas (Chief Operating Officer) and Geoff Willis (Technology Director).
He will commence a period of gardening leave.......not specified how long though
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

GrandAxe

Mercedes seems to be paying hand and foot for the services of an experienced driver for the 2017 rule change year. Its not just their most senior technical boss, Paddy Lowe headed (ostensibly) for Williams without any gardening leave period (unprecedented), there are also rumours of huge engine discounts as part of the deal. Don't forget that all of this is happening because their 2016 WDC somehow contrived to walk away after so much support was (fairly or unfairly) thrown in his basket.

The 2016 win is increasingly looking more like a fiasco than anything else, add to all the confusion the fact that Toto Wolfe is part of Bottas management and the whispers of conflict of interest, and there is the possibility of the team wearing itself out from within in 2017. To buttress this, on Xmas Day, Toto Wolff called for calm at Mercedes;
https://www.sportsnews.com.au/motor-spo ... des/209480

Mercedes really needs a plan.

torpor

In my opinion Paddy is a bitter loss for Mercedes. Remember what happened to McLaren after Paddy left.

There are too much power struggles in Brackley.

If they really present Bottas as second driver I''ll say Toto's egoism is very toxic for Mercedes.

PlatinumZealot

It is a loss but because of the evil axis of toto and niki, i can undertsand why paddy wanted out. He is better of working where he can feel comfort and trust his colleagues.

As for the wolf bottas conflict of interest, Toto has already stated that he would resign from bottas managment team if bottas every drove for him. But we all know that such a divorce will only be good on paper. Wolf can still carry out his agenda (to make botta WDC) as team boss.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ME4ME

I think you guys are doing Toto a dishonor. What was he supposed to do after Rosberg left? Bottas is probably the best option for Mercedes, even if it might cost them.

Paddy leaving was already rumoured before Rosberg left. Paddy has mentioned that he enjoyed working at Mercedes but wanted a new challenge. There is no real toxic vibe.

jericho

I think they should get rid off Lauda. He hasn't done 1 good thing for the team...

Paddy was the stable, quiet guy. But he has the brains to get a team together!

GrandAxe

PlatinumZealot wrote:It is a loss but because of the evil axis of toto and niki, i can undertsand why paddy wanted out. He is better of working where he can feel comfort and trust his colleagues.

As for the wolf bottas conflict of interest, Toto has already stated that he would resign from bottas managment team if bottas every drove for him. But we all know that such a divorce will only be good on paper. Wolf can still carry out his agenda (to make botta WDC) as team boss.
Paddy Lowe is a huge loss indeed. His movement to a lower ranked team is telling, particularly as it is happening a mere couple of years since he joined Mercedes as the head of the engineering team that built their spectacular run of success.
Its just history repeating; after setting up the framework for Mercedes dominance, Ross Brawn also walked away because of managerial disagreements with Toto.

Mercedes is a team packed with genius engineers (software, aeronautical etc), but burdened with dubious management. Paddy Lowe's departure adds further uncertainty and weakness to the Mercedes conundrum even before the start of a landmark season that is bringing fundamental change to F1 car design and races.
I predict that 2017 will see the movement of top management staff (including Toto Wolff). The only challenges to the team seem to be coming from within.

PlatinumZealot

I also forsee some movement. But there will defintely be a powerstruggle for paddy' position. It wont be james thats taking it because james is not experienced at that management level i think. In fact there is no space for james on the team. Mercedes already has many aerodynamic directors. I feel it will be an internal battle among the senior directors for the top spot.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏