2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stalker1

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

I think it is to early to speculate about the constructos championship yet. All we know, is that Massa is in top shape and feels very comfortable in the car. Lance has made the rookie mistakes, probably learned from them and is getting more comfortable and more quicker. Consistent points from the first races from both of them would be great achievement.

gdogg371

Now Paddy Lowe is onboard, do people think we will see Williams continue with the slippy aero philosophy of recent years, or switch to a building a bit more of an all rounder?

Sevach

I don't think Paddy makes these kind of calls, he's not an aero guy, it would be unwise for him to tell aerodynamicists how they should do their job.
However, Dirk de Beer who was at Ferrari during the conceptual stages of the SF70-H might have some ideas on this front.

LookBackTime

View from the Pit Lane: Testing
By C4F1 technical analyst, Karun Chandhok

http://f1.channel4.com/news/view-from-t ... e-testing/

I have got the interesting part about Lance Stroll:

"

From what I’ve seen Williams, who have Felipe Massa out of his very brief retirement to partner rookie Lance Stroll, head the midfield battle.

I was pleasant surprised by what I saw of the teenager in the final stages of testing. He’s quite an inexperienced rookie, having not done GP2, and had a tough first week in testing with a couple of incidents.

The Canadian looked like he’s settled into a good flow at this test and I came away from watching trackside with a pretty good impression. He’s a fit young guy and on his quali run on the ultra softs tyres he made a mistake so there is more lap time there too.

Where it will be tricky for him is going to circuits that he doesn’t know like Melbourne and Shanghai but on the whole I was quite impressed with what I saw.
"

SR71

Sevach wrote:I don't think Paddy makes these kind of calls, he's not an aero guy, it would be unwise for him to tell aerodynamicists how they should do their job.
However, Dirk de Beer who was at Ferrari during the conceptual stages of the SF70-H might have some ideas on this front.

I think it's absolutely Pattys job to make these calls. That's what a "director" does. He won't be defining aero surfaces but if he wants a high DF car it's up to the aero team to deliver.

Now if he's a good director he'll listen to them as much as they listen to him but at the end of the day he defines the direction and philosophy the car will follow.

LookBackTime

Motor racing - Lowe joins Williams as technical head and shareholder

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor- ... KKBN16N0YI

continuum16

A couple of things of note from the news;
-Paddy is CTO for the entire organization, not just the F1 team.
-While he is a shareholder, his % stake is undefined (bit odd for a public company, should come later)
-He is now on the top level at the group, sharing duties with Claire and Mike O'Driscoll.

Seems like this is more than a simple technical director hire, the group are leaning towards a complete technical revamp with an eye on the future. Good stuff.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

LookBackTime

continuum16 wrote:A couple of things of note from the news;
-Paddy is CTO for the entire organization, not just the F1 team.
-While he is a shareholder, his % stake is undefined (bit odd for a public company, should come later)
-He is now on the top level at the group, sharing duties with Claire and Mike O'Driscoll.

Seems like this is more than a simple technical director hire, the group are leaning towards a complete technical revamp with an eye on the future. Good stuff.
No surprise here! That's what Paddy wanted.

Technical Director will be James Key! Probably from beginning of 2018.

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS AND BLUESHIFT GP LAUNCH ‘THE ART OF AERO’
17 MAR 2017

Williams has collaborated with Blueshift GP to create a stunning new collection of artworks, inspired by aerodynamic images from Williams, which launches today at the Ransom Gallery in London.

Using previously confidential imagery from Williams’ computational fluid dynamic (CFD) designs as inspiration, the artworks combine engineering expertise and art to create this truly unique and stunning collection.

The artworks feature CFD images from the FW35 and before, and detail how the airflow around a car can be simulated. With Blueshift GP’s input, the result is a collection of beautiful images inspired by imagery never publicly seen before.

Founded in July 2016, Blueshift GP was established with the sole purpose of working collaboratively with renowned motorsport partners on designing, creating, developing and releasing unique and innovative design projects to the general public. Blueshift GP takes its design inspiration from the utterly fascinating and highly secretive creative processes, methods and materials utilised by race teams to create the fastest race cars on earth.

The exhibition will be on display for the general public at Ransom Gallery, 105 Pimlico Road, London, SW1W 8LS from 17th – 31st March 2017.

LookBackTime

F1 is coming and teams are already in Australia!

bill shoe

And again Williams go into a season with no real drama swirling about, it's all about the racing and this thread features pictures of their freight waiting in Australia. Williams have up years and down years but they never make things unnecessarily hard on themselves. At least half the teams in the paddock will stagger to the grid with self-inflicted gunshot wounds of varying severity...