2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Seriously though no idea

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

LookBackTime

MONACO GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING
27 MAY 2017

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona
3.337 km / 2.073 miles
Weather: Warm and dry
Temperature: Air:25-27°C Track:50-55°C

Q1
F. Massa 1:13.796 (9th)
L. Stroll 1:14.893 (18th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:13.078
Q2
F. Massa 1:20.529 (15th)
L. Stroll -
Quickest time: K. Raikkonen 1:12.231
Q3
F. Massa -
L. Stroll -
Quickest time: K. Raikkonen 1:12.178

Qualifying Notes

- Felipe Massa ended qualifying in 15th, with Lance Stroll 18th ahead of tomorrow’s Monaco Grand Prix

- Lance Stroll’s first qualifying session around the challenging Circuit de Monaco was brought to a premature end during Q1 due to a hydraulic leak, leaving him 18th at the end of the session. Felipe was 9th quickest, and progressed to Q2

- Stoffel Vandoorne’s incident at Turn 16 during Q2 cut much of the field’s final qualifying runs short on the street circuit, including Felipe, who was on a flying lap at the time. This meant he was unable to improve on his 15th fastest time before the end of the session

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: The car is not where it should be at this type of circuit and that’s something that we’ll have to develop for the future. On top of that, we have to apologise to Lance who had a hydraulic leak during Q1 putting him out of the running. Felipe was lined up for two runs in Q2 but, he made a mistake on his first run and his second run was cut short by the yellow flag of Stoffel, so we didn’t put a time on the board for Q2. For tomorrow, we’ll do our best from where we are. Of course, the Monaco Grand Prix is always full of excitement and incidents so Felipe and Lance will need to make the best of that to try and get some points for the team. Finally, congratulations to Kimi Raikkonen for a fantastic pole position today.

Felipe Massa: It was a very tough qualifying, like it usually is in Monaco. It’s definitely not a great feeling to have qualified 15th and it’s a shame that we’re struggling here with a different car and different rules. It’s disappointing that we’re starting near the back, but anything can happen here in Monaco. So I hope we can have a good race and maybe have a little bit of luck tomorrow.

Lance Stroll: We had a hydraulic leak at the end of Q1 so I had to stop early. Despite that, I am really enjoying driving this weekend. It is challenging, but it is great to be driving here as Monaco is very special. It is just a shame what happened with the car, as I missed out on the fast lap and I think I could have made it to Q2. Our car is not the strongest here and it is not our type of circuit, but hopefully tomorrow will be a good day.

Mr Brooksy

Why could Felipe only manage a 1:20 lap time in Q2 when he was able to get through to Q2 on a 1:13? Did he whack the wall or pull over for a drinks break, went for a swim in the swimming pool section!
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

LookBackTime

Massa frustrated at Williams' unresolved Monaco woes

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mass ... co-911532/

LookBackTime

MONACO GRAND PRIX
28 MAY 2017

Circuit de Monaco, Monaco
3.337 km / 2.073 miles

Race Notes:

• Felipe Massa finished the Monaco Grand Prix ninth, whilst Lance Stroll was forced to retire due to high temperatures in the front left brake system

• Both drivers began the 78-lap race on ultrasoft tyres, before switching to the supersofts. A safety car following a dramatic crash between Jenson Button and Pascal Wehrlein allowed Felipe to pit for a second time, onto used ultrasofts to the end of the race

• Lance also made a second stop, after further safety car time due to incidents from Marcus Ericsson and Stoffel Vandoorne, for a new set of ultrasofts

• Felipe benefitted from an incident between Danil Kvyat and Sergio Perez late in the race to secure a points-scoring finish for the team in ninth

• WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING retain sixth position in the Constructors’ Championship, whilst Felipe remains ninth in the Drivers’ Championship

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: It was always going to be a difficult race starting from 14th and 17th. We planned to deploy our strategy tactically and take advantage of safety cars if there was an opportunity to make up positions. As is usually the case in Monaco, it was an eventful race in the end. Felipe was able to benefit from this as he managed to secure two points for the team. Lance drove a solid race but, unfortunately, we had to retire him on lap 72 due to a problem with his left front brake system, which appears to have been caused by debris being picked up that blocked the cooling system. Overall, we’re happy to have collected some points, but our car wasn’t quick enough today. We’ll learn from this to ensure we come back stronger next time.

Felipe Massa: I’m happy with the result and scoring points today. We had brake issues from the start and I had to manage them from the very first lap. I’ve never had to do that before in my career! At the end, I could see Perez trying to pass me on his fresh tyres and I thought ‘stay here and just try to get some points’, which is exactly what happened. My experience as a driver definitely helped me to get points today, so I’m very happy.

Lance Stroll: I was driving OK but then we had an issue at the end so we had to stop. Unfortunately, these things happen, especially at Monaco. There were several incidents, which meant that the tyres lost temperature and it was really hard to get that back. But the next race is my home event and I’m feeling positive going into that. It’s going to be very special to go home and to know that our car can be strong there.

Stalker1

LookBackTime wrote:
28 May 2017, 12:20

Massa is more vocal than usual about the issues with car handling characteristics and balance. I cannot understand, what he meant with this line?:

We have some ideas, but not ready for this year. It's not just the philosophy, it's some different working that it will improve.

LookBackTime

I heard this rumor last year and it has surfaced again:

"Pat Symonds revealed during Sky F1's coverage of qualifying for the Monaco GP that Williams have previously held talks with Carlos Sainz."

To replace Massa of course.

I would rate the probability to became reality very low.
Carlos's father has already choose the team for his son: Ferrari!

Sevach

Stalker1 wrote:
29 May 2017, 01:35
LookBackTime wrote:
28 May 2017, 12:20

Massa is more vocal than usual about the issues with car handling characteristics and balance. I cannot understand, what he meant with this line?:

We have some ideas, but not ready for this year. It's not just the philosophy, it's some different working that it will improve.
I'm thinking "different working", different approach to Monaco maybe? Monaco specific parts, stuff like that.
Over the last couple of years Williams just seems resignated towards Monaco.

Other than that, it seems like the work on next years car has started and they may be aiming at more downforce, but it doesn't fit with the current car.

Stalker1

Sevach wrote:
30 May 2017, 14:42

I'm thinking "different working", different approach to Monaco maybe? Monaco specific parts, stuff like that.
Over the last couple of years Williams just seems resignated towards Monaco.

Other than that, it seems like the work on next years car has started and they may be aiming at more downforce, but it doesn't fit with the current car.
OK, thank you for you thoughts! It is interesting also that Massa talk about these issues like his planning to stay with the team for another year!? Am I crazy?

Sevach

It does seem that way... an awful lot of talk on how things should work in the future.

At least he's not phoning it in.