2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Does that mean Sebastian Vettel is going to drive for Williams?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

Will Stroll show his talent is worth more than his money in F1?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will- ... f1-862705/

"I think without that big margin and the way we did it, and without some of the tests in the 2014 car, and the way it's gone and the way Williams have evaluated me, with all those things together I don't think I'd be here.

"There's multiple reasons why we're here today, and why we're not doing the step in between, why we're not doing GP2, and that's the way it is."

"When the engineers go through run plans with him, when he gets in the car and he gives us feedback and they go through the data, he picks up everything he's told," says Claire.

"He learns, he gets in the car, and he doesn't make the same mistake again, or he improves on his time. I think that's everything we could ask of him at the moment."

KeiKo403

Manoah2u wrote:Does that mean Sebastian Vettel is going to drive for Williams?
I think you're thinking of BMW Sauber. lol

Anyone remember when the Williams mechanic got an electric shock from the KERS at testing that 1 year?
I like this game.... :mrgreen:

Manoah2u

Memories......

also; mayorly offtopic, but still bummed Josh Hill doesn't continue the legacy.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

https://twitter.com/ams_formula1/status ... 7008581634 resume of the article:

- papa Stroll is pushing for Massa - Stroll pair. He likes the idea that his son will have a lot to learn from Massa.

- papa Stroll is making a contribution to Massa and Patty Lowe deal.

- Patty Lowe has his contract expire on May 2017. Part of the Bottas to move at Mercedes is the request to get Patty as soon as possible. Williams is very firm about the subject.

- Mercedes does not want to make the deal with Williams at any cost.

- Massa had a Formula E contract (from what I heard he already has canceled it in amiable way with the unknown team).

skoop

LookBackTime wrote:https://twitter.com/ams_formula1/status ... 7008581634

resume of the article:

- papa Stroll is pushing for Massa - Stroll pair. He likes the idea that his son will have a lot to learn from Massa.

- papa Stroll is making a contribution to Massa and Patty Lowe deal.

- Patty Lowe has his contract expire on May 2017. Part of the Bottas to move at Mercedes is the request to get Patty as soon as possible. Williams is very firm about the subject.

- Mercedes does not want to make the deal with Williams at any cost.

- Massa had a Formula E contract (from what I heard he already has canceled it in amiable way with the unknown team).
Great summary, thank you very much :) There are two point i would like to add:

- Lowe would become team principal, while Claire Williams would be president. James Key could become technical director in 2018. For 2017 Lowe would be TP and TD

- At least one driver has to be over 25 so Martini can use him for advertising world wide. Guess that's another reason why Wehrlein is out of the picture for Williams (despite lacking experience)

LookBackTime

Mercedes wait on Paddy Lowe to sort out Williams deal

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/01/10/ ... iams-deal/

GPR-A duplicate2

LookBackTime wrote:Mercedes wait on Paddy Lowe to sort out Williams deal

I don't understand why Paddy would be keen to move to a team like Williams. Aspiring to be a team principal, who would be the sole decision maker for every aspect of a team, is understandable, but what would he gain moving to a team like Williams. They keep crying for budgets, a customer team, doesn't boast of great technical people or for that matter, facilities. Even if he becomes a team principal and has great depth in technical skills, I don't see him achieving anything good over there. At least in Mercedes, he can keep appearing in the headlines due to the success they are enjoying. Ferrari was desirable, but looks like they don't need him. May be even Renault was a good opportunity, but Williams is a dud. A Team like Force India still seems like a better bet. For 2016, they spent less than Williams and outscored them.

LookBackTime

GPR-A wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Mercedes wait on Paddy Lowe to sort out Williams deal

I don't understand why Paddy would be keen to move to a team like Williams. Aspiring to be a team principal, who would be the sole decision maker for every aspect of a team, is understandable, but what would he gain moving to a team like Williams. They keep crying for budgets, a customer team, doesn't boast of great technical people or for that matter, facilities. Even if he becomes a team principal and has great depth in technical skills, I don't see him achieving anything good over there. At least in Mercedes, he can keep appearing in the headlines due to the success they are enjoying. Ferrari was desirable, but looks like they don't need him. May be even Renault was a good opportunity, but Williams is a dud.
The short answer: money!

From what I know: Mercedes is paying Patty Lowe 1.5 mil. pounds/year.
Toto is not willing to extend his contract at the same retainer. James Allison (his replacement) is much cheaper to get (or may be Toto already signed him) .

FrukostScones

LookBackTime wrote:Things are moving!

https://twitter.com/croftyf1/status/818766035516067840

if this is true BOT deal is on!!!
(if AMuS report is true)

and prob. it is not only $, AMuS reported he wants/will be Team Boss at Willimas, and they will get J. Key as TD.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LookBackTime

David Croft is working for Sky Sports F1 as reporter/commentator. I suppose he's sources are good.