2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

LookBackTime wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 16:17
Sevach wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 16:13
I was going to point that out if Stroll goes to Force India, one of Perez or Ocon will be out of a job, maybe both... there's no telling what Lawrence Stroll as an owner might want.
Regarding Ocon I heard that Renault would like to get him !!!! This is their target. Not Carlos or Alonso.

It is hold in high regard there. Still I think Toto has the final word where Ocon will move in the future.
There's no way Ocon goes elsewhere, and i think the Force India stroll rumours are a bit of off-season media hype.
Force India is doing better than Williams right now, so there's something to say for moving to a team that has a better car to offer, but then at the same time I remember so much supposed proof and certainty about Carlos Slim buying Force India and it was going to become TelMex/Claro sponsored and injected with a lot of mexican money which would catapult it another step further up the ranks. Nothing happened.

I've also read about Ron Dennis buying Toro Rosso. Buying Manor. Even buying Force India. nothing.
Briatore, the same.

In the end, nothing's gonna happen except for Williams needing to up their game, shed off some dust, repack, find out what went different - thus wrong - and get back in competition.

If you ask me, the thing that i found most disturbing, rather silly and embarassing, is that Williams had to put a ex-f1 driver - a really really cr*p driver actually - into a car he's NEVER driven before right after one of their main drivers had to bail. They should have had a reserve driver that is A) not a frigging washed up commentor on some tv channel, B) has had several runs and tests in the current machinery C) an actual talent.
In this case, i would have said Wehrlein should have not been a Sauber driver but a Williams test driver and he should have stepped in and see what could have happened. Not that i'm a fan of wehrlein - far from it, but it would have made 100% sense.
Di Resta was just embarassing, even if he didn't slam that car in a wall on his first corner. He even did a pretty good job at it, but that doesn't excuse the poor situation they were / are in and that Di Resta is a washed up never-has-been.

I love the Williams team but this is just plain silly.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 21:24
LookBackTime wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 16:17
Sevach wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 16:13
I was going to point that out if Stroll goes to Force India, one of Perez or Ocon will be out of a job, maybe both... there's no telling what Lawrence Stroll as an owner might want.
Regarding Ocon I heard that Renault would like to get him !!!! This is their target. Not Carlos or Alonso.

It is hold in high regard there. Still I think Toto has the final word where Ocon will move in the future.
There's no way Ocon goes elsewhere, and i think the Force India stroll rumours are a bit of off-season media hype.
Force India is doing better than Williams right now, so there's something to say for moving to a team that has a better car to offer, but then at the same time I remember so much supposed proof and certainty about Carlos Slim buying Force India and it was going to become TelMex/Claro sponsored and injected with a lot of mexican money which would catapult it another step further up the ranks. Nothing happened.

I've also read about Ron Dennis buying Toro Rosso. Buying Manor. Even buying Force India. nothing.
Briatore, the same.

In the end, nothing's gonna happen except for Williams needing to up their game, shed off some dust, repack, find out what went different - thus wrong - and get back in competition.

If you ask me, the thing that i found most disturbing, rather silly and embarassing, is that Williams had to put a ex-f1 driver - a really really cr*p driver actually - into a car he's NEVER driven before right after one of their main drivers had to bail. They should have had a reserve driver that is A) not a frigging washed up commentor on some tv channel, B) has had several runs and tests in the current machinery C) an actual talent.
In this case, i would have said Wehrlein should have not been a Sauber driver but a Williams test driver and he should have stepped in and see what could have happened. Not that i'm a fan of wehrlein - far from it, but it would have made 100% sense.
Di Resta was just embarassing, even if he didn't slam that car in a wall on his first corner. He even did a pretty good job at it, but that doesn't excuse the poor situation they were / are in and that Di Resta is a washed up never-has-been.

I love the Williams team but this is just plain silly.
There haven't been any teams sold in recent years, the last one i remember is Brawn to Mercedes, which was the world champion team, sold for not much more than 100 millions if i remember correctly.

Although at first i also thought it was ludicrous for him to buy a team just to be his son playground. But if you take into account he is investing 80 million a year it stops being super insane (to be fair i have no idea what a team like Force India is worth these days).
I still think the most likely scenario is that the Stroll's stay, but when you do the math... no wonder he wants more power within the Williams structure.

Personally i think Paddy is having a tough time with the task of improving this car(which was born as another typical Symonds era Williams) while also trying to build "foundations" for the future, but i trust his decisions.

Manoah2u

Stroll did not actually 'buy' Williams. and he wont 'Buy' Force India / 1 either. Investing in a team is not 'buying it'. Mercedes indeed bought BrawnGP after Brawn bought Honda.
As for Force India / Force 1 ; Perhaps Aston Martin will 'buy' into the team and transfer it into Aston Martin Force 1. That could actually make some sense. but their tie with RedBull would make me doubt this. Either way, the Strolls wont 'buy' the team - they would get a stake / invest into the team with all the benefits.

again, there's a difference in 'buying' a team and 'buying into' a team.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Sevach

He didn't buy Williams, he might buy Force India is the point and it makes sense to me honestly.

He gets to make the decisions he wants and he might actually turn a profit for his investments, instead of throwing money he will never see back (unless Lance turns into Lewis Hamilton and starts commanding an 80 million a year salary), and when he and Lance are done playing he can look for a buyer.

LookBackTime

Stroll has "cracked" Formula 1 after shaky start - Williams

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... ms-939838/

After "the storm" from the last few days it is time for peace! :)

Stalker1

Conflict between Lawrence Stroll and Williams team (especially Lowe) shows that you just cannot come, throw in about 80 million euros for development and for hiring new people and expect that the car will be getting quicker and quicker as the season progresses. Sure, Williams being completely off the pace for the start of the second half of the season again due to being outpaced in the development race by other teams is annoying, especially with added 80 million euros, but at least they have been working on some major upgrades, which involves new rear suspension, new gearbox casing, the aero upgrade.

Offcourse, Lawrence maybe thinking that slow Williams shows Lance as a slow, incompetent driver or whatever, but to be honest, I am not sure he would be much quicker in Force India at the moment, for example. However, I am happy that there has been a little bit of conflict inside Williams team. Lawrence has shown them that he does not plan to shower them with money long if they cannot improve! :D

Manoah2u

Stalker1 wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 22:46
Conflict between Lawrence Stroll and Williams team (especially Lowe) shows that you just cannot come, throw in about 80 million euros for development and for hiring new people and expect that the car will be getting quicker and quicker as the season progresses. Sure, Williams being completely off the pace for the start of the second half of the season again due to being outpaced in the development race by other teams is annoying, especially with added 80 million euros, but at least they have been working on some major upgrades, which involves new rear suspension, new gearbox casing, the aero upgrade.

Offcourse, Lawrence maybe thinking that slow Williams shows Lance as a slow, incompetent driver or whatever, but to be honest, I am not sure he would be much quicker in Force India at the moment, for example. However, I am happy that there has been a little bit of conflict inside Williams team. Lawrence has shown them that he does not plan to shower them with money long if they cannot improve! :D
again show me actual facts about the supposed conflict instead of media twists and lies solely because it's the summer break and there is nothing to report.

LookBackTime

Felipe Massa's helmet gets a special design for Spa

http://en.f1i.com/news/276705-felipe-ma ... n-spa.html

TAG

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 14:48
Felipe Massa's helmet gets a special design for Spa

http://en.f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 25x500.jpg

http://en.f1i.com/news/276705-felipe-ma ... n-spa.html

That is one hell of a nice looking lid!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

LookBackTime

Porsche to Formula 1 with Williams - it makes sense
Joe Saward - MotorsportWeek 22 August 2017

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/15647

"
Porsche will quit the FIA World Endurance Championship's LMP1 class at the end of this season, but the signs are that the ultimate goal is not to rely only on Formula E and that Porsche's next stop will be an F1 deal.
The company already has all the technology required to create a current F1 engine and while it is unlikely to win anything before the new F1 rules come into place in 2021, there is a very obvious strategy which it could take to be in a great position for the next F1 era.
The word in Budapest before the summer break was that Porsche will come to F1 - perhaps with other VW brands following as well - and that the obvious deal would be to go into partnership with an established team, in order to avoid having to invest in expensive chassis technology and infrastructure.
While it is assumed by most people that this would involve a deal with Red Bull Racing, it is much more likely that Porsche will go to a team which is a little bit more manufacturer-friendly. McLaren has its own agenda with engines while Sauber and Toro Rosso are in the wrong places. Haas is a Ferrari satellite. Force India might be a possible partner, but while it has a great group of engineers it needs a huge amount of capital investment..
All of this means that the best available choice is clearly Williams F1, not only because the team has a great heritage and decent facilities, but also because it needs a manufacturer to get it back to winning, which a customer Mercedes engine deal will not do.
There are also other elements that make Williams the obvious choice, not least the fact that it is sponsored by Porsche's traditional motorsport partner Martini & Rossi and the various brands fit very neatly together. The Martini Porsche relationship goes back nearly 50 years and is a brand that is instantly recognised outside the confines of F1.
"