2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SchuMassa

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:40
Is it true Williams has 30hp less powerful engine then Mercedes AMG?
Mercedes brought new engines for the factory team, so it might be possible.

GoranF1

SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:48
GoranF1 wrote:
I mean before....in general over last 3 years.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sevach

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:50
SchuMassa wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
No, i don't think so.

GoranF1

Sevach wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:59
GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:50
SchuMassa wrote:

No, i don't think so.
So Paddy Lowe, Mercedes PU and Alonso....who can stop this?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

LookBackTime

SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:47
LookBackTime wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:00
For dreamers (like me :) )!

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/901140538413469697

Summary:

- an offer has been made by Williams
- Martini interested in the deal too!
- Stoll's father is working on the deal - interesting

The news coming to the press so fast make me think the deal will not happen!
I think the rumors came from his circle of friends! Alonso knows how to play the game!
Why would Alonso join a customer team which is barely faster these days than McLaren?

Belgian Grand Prix: Alonso 'no confidence' in Honda's ability

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... s_ability/

SchuMassa

LookBackTime wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:07
SchuMassa wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:00
For dreamers (like me :) )!

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/901140538413469697

Summary:

- an offer has been made by Williams
- Martini interested in the deal too!
- Stoll's father is working on the deal - interesting

The news coming to the press so fast make me think the deal will not happen!
I think the rumors came from his circle of friends! Alonso knows how to play the game!
Why would Alonso join a customer team which is barely faster these days than McLaren?

Alonso's been saying all kind of stuff recently, taking U-turns only in only a couple of days... nevertheless, I'd be shocked if this move happened.

LookBackTime

SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:16
LookBackTime wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:

Alonso's been saying all kind of stuff recently, taking U-turns only in only a couple of days... nevertheless, I'd be shocked if this move happened.
Correct!

That why I said: "The news coming to the press so fast make me think the deal will not happen!"

Stroll's involvement is quite intriguing !!!

Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:17

Maybe Williams doesn't want to renew with Massa, and Lawrence Stroll has been quite adamant that he wants his son accompanied by an experienced team mate rather than a young hotshot.

Button has been talking of coming out of retirement, how long until the Button to Williams talks start?

LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:45
LookBackTime wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:17

Maybe Williams doesn't want to renew with Massa, and Lawrence Stroll has been quite adamant that he wants his son accompanied by an experienced team mate rather than a young hotshot.

Button has been talking of coming out of retirement, how long until the Button to Williams talks start?

from article (google translate):

..."For Stroll, the 32-time GP winner would be the ideal world champion. To lose Alonso is also no shame. We hear that Stroll's father Lawrence is working hard on an Alonso deal. Because Alonso's feedback is perhaps the best development aid for the engineers, which in turn helps the whole team."...

LookBackTime

Williams und Alonso vor Sensationsdeal

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 17721.html

Summary:

- it is more than a rumor :)
- In addition to this, Williams plans to move the entire rear axle, including the Mercedes transmission, next to the engine in 2018. This is currently to make the decisive difference between Force India and Williams. Discussions were held today at the Mercedes-Benz Motorhome. Another important reason why Williams is so attractive to the Spaniard.
-Lawrence Stroll personally is willing to pay Alonso's mega-salary of more than 25 million euros. He wants the best driving instructor in the world for his son Lance, the best development aid for the team - and another year of puppy protection for his junior.
-To other end, McLaren has long been preparing Alonso's successor. Junior star Lando Norris (presently Formula 3) is driving one private test after another after ABMS information. "McLaren lets him drive everything that is possible, so he gets miles," says an insider. At the test in Hungary, the young Briton shone with great times, was almost on the weight level of the drivers in qualifying.

Squid

SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:16
LookBackTime wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:

Clickbait title, Alonso never said those words. The article talks about Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda's F1 boss, saying that their job was to convince Alonso they were able to create a competitive engine before he decides on his future. That's it.

LookBackTime

11:44 Alonso to Williams?
Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer at Spa-Francorchamps

So, here's a thing. I was discussing the ongoing McLaren/Honda/Renault/ToroRosso engine saga with a very senior figure on Friday and the conversation ended with them suggesting that it was quite likely that in the end everything would stay the same as now. So, I asked, what happens to Fernando Alonso (who has lost faith in Honda, as Honda themselves admitted on Thursday) “He’s going to Williams, isn't he?” the person said as they walked away. “That’s what I heard.”

That brought me up short, you could say. So, the question is, is Alonso going to Williams? Well, it’s very unlikely but not completely impossible. Williams have sounded him out, but only in the way teams sounds out all drivers to see where they are ahead of deliberations about their driver line-up, which have not happened yet. So it is massively premature, to say the least.

The bottom line is that Alonso is expensive and wants a winning car. And Williams don’t have a huge budget or a quick car. However, they are ambitious and are struggling at the moment, and part of the reason is a driver line-up that is clearly not going to get the best out of the machinery. The reality is that Felipe Massa was on average 0.5secs off Alonso when they were Ferrari team-mates and Lance Stroll is usually about that sort of margin off Massa. So it’s not hard to see the benefit a driver of Alonso’s calibre.

Whether Williams feel they are ready for that sort of pressure is a different question. And with Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence an influential figure in the team as a result of the reputed $20m he is providing this year, the question arises of whether having Alonso as his team-mate would be a good thing for Stroll Jr. He’d certainly learn a lot but what being alongside a gold standard who’s on the limit on every lap would do for his confidence is another matter.

That’s the Williams side of it. As for Alonso, you have to ask whether it would be a good move. Honda is struggling, and showing no signs of significant improvement. But while it it’s quite possible McLaren will end up sticking with them, a switch to Renault is still a possibility. And a McLaren with a Renault in it would be quicker than a Williams, based on this year’s performance. A McLaren with a Honda in it is already sometimes quicker than a Williams. He’d be swapping a good car with a poor engine for a mediocre car wth a good engine. Much of a muchness, in other words. And with less possibility to do things like race in the Indy 500.

atheonr

15th and 16th in a track like Spa. Dont know what to say. This year is so hard to watch while Williams suffering like this